AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently, I have a 36" 2 year Sony HD 4x3. Have HD from local cable company and it looks good. The problem is that the thing is huge. The antique cabinet it is in isn't deep enough and several inches extends out the back. My wife and I decided that looks pretty bad and decided to get a plasma. By luck I was able to pick up the Samsung SPN 4235 through a pricematch for $2150 which seems like a good deal. I've read through the threads here and get a sense that the jury is still out on the Samsung.

So my questions are:

1)Will I notice a big difference between the Sony and the Samsung?

2) The Motorola HD cable box has no dvi--do newer Motorola boxes have dvi?

3) I normally don't buy the extended warranty but did so on this purchase--just wondering if other Samsung owners did the same?

I know these are pretty simple questions but will help me decide if I did the right thing in buying the plasma. BTW, it won't be delivered until next Friday so I can still cancel.

TIA,

JHawk

·
Registered
237 Posts
1.) I have the Akia version. This set suffers from lack of ability to produce good shadow detail, especially when fed low resolution signals, such as analog cable. The set looks fantastic on most HD & progressive scan DVD and will be more pleasing than your Sony simply because its Wide screen. Although digital cable often looks pretty good, I would not plan on doing a lot of cable tv watching on this set, unless you can sit >10' from it, which tends to hide the deficiencies. Basically, its a great unit for HD & 480P DVD, and generally unacceptable for analog cable.

2.) Dunno. You may want to check the various Motorola STB threads in the HD Hardware forum.

3.) There doesn't seem to be many moving-type parts in this device, so I expect that most failures are going to be of unfixable type. Component boards tend to fail within the 1st year or last forever. However, given the incredible price you were given, I would not think that the extended warranty was a waste of money. The Akia version is of course from Costco, which has an extremely generous return policy.

IMHO, if you are purchasing this Plasma for HD/DVD viewing, then you are getting an incredible deal, but if you are purchasing with the idea of using it for general cable type tv viewing you are not going to be happy with it.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Patnalli:

Thank you for your response. I do watch mainly HD so it sounds like I should be OK. I also have a Replay hooked up to the Sony and although the picture quality kinda sucks I do like the commercial advance.

Do you have a Replay or Tivo connected to your Akai?

You've made me feel better about my purchase---thanks again.

JHawk

·
Registered
237 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JHawk
Patnalli:

Thank you for your response. I do watch mainly HD so it sounds like I should be OK. I also have a Replay hooked up to the Sony and although the picture quality kinda sucks I do like the commercial advance.

Do you have a Replay or Tivo connected to your Akai?

You've made me feel better about my purchase---thanks again.

JHawk
I have 4500 Replays and they do not look very good. I am trying out an Scientific atlanta Cable DVR from Adelphia right now and it actually looks quite a bit better. But with or without the DVR's, I would have to say that Interlaced signal quality is not very good, except on 'clean' digital channels, which range from 'acceptable' to excellent. If you have the 5x00 units, they do have much better progressive out, so you may get a decent picture from that. I watched about 10 minutes of the HD Superbowl on my Akai (till my Atlanta station went out :mad: and the picture was stunning

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.