AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered two Samsung SSLN46A550 46" sets. Can't wait to get them. Ordered from Abe's of Maine. Great price. Free wall mounts too. Nice. I got the 3-year extended warrantys (in home service). I know, I know, maybe wasted money, but for everything I bought, 2 TVs, 2 warrantys, 2 cleaning kits (free) and 3 wall mounts (ultra flush mount - one extra mount for my 47" Vizio), no tax, free shipping - its was all about the same price as one Sony Bravia TV. Peace of mind is nice and it was all in my budget.

So my question is this.... I was in Costco yesterday and I was looking at their TVs. I notice the best looking TV was in fact the Samsung 46" TV. The blacks were blacker than anything I've ever seen on a LCD set. Just amazing. Then I noticed the model number was one number different than what I bought. I bought the SSLN46A550 and this was the SSLN46A540 I assumed it was an older model or something. But then I notice the price was about $300 more than what I paid. Then I saw the contrast ratio was 35,000:1 instead of 30,000 to 1.

I went to Samsung's site and downloaded the PDF of each set. A few minor differences other than the contrast ratio. Nothing major.

Does anyone know what the story is here? Is one set in fact, older than the other? I thought the 540 was older than the 550, but the 540 is the seemingly better model and more expensive.

What's the story?

Attached are the PDFs...

LN46A540-avs.pdf 323.1748046875k . file

LN46A550-avs.pdf 264.0947265625k . file

Attachments

·
Registered
326 Posts
540 is a 550 with a glossy screen (ultra clear panel)... and that glossy screen is what adds the extra 5k contrast, supposedly. If glare is not an issue for you, I'd go for the 540... the glossy screens really pop and add depth to the image (at least this is what i notice
)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts