AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have calibrated my XL-2370 back-lit LED monitor using CalMAN and a CM, but I end up with lower contrast and luminance does not seem to change. I tried using a LUT display profile, but this does not address luminance, only gamma, so I suppose this cannot be fixed without an external CMS? It does smooth out some, but color appears kind of muted. Before calibration colors appear vivid, but the color tracking problems can be noticed. Is this considered normal, and is there any way to improve saturation without effecting RGB tracking? Am I better to use the movie mode preset? I noticed this didn't have very accurate looking secondaries, but is this caused by the contrast?


My calibrated settings currently are:


brightness 0

Contrast 16

sharpness 80

Coarse 2200

Fine 87

Response Time Fastest


Red 39

Green 32

Blue 26

Gamma mode2



 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Would love to see alot more attention on this monitor. I just got mine yesterday. Glad to find your calibration! I hooked it up first thing I got out of work. I watched a little Pinaple Express and played MW2, also the demo for dante's inferno. I'm really going to enjoy this monitor!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,858 Posts
Is that CIE Target chart for one specific color or avg of all colors? I can't seem to find one for all colors in the charts menu.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcheng122 /forum/post/18288533


Is that CIE Target chart for one specific color or avg of all colors? I can't seem to find one for all colors in the charts menu.

That is 75% white since the x box is highlighted, it defaults to the same as highlighting 75%, the box next to it. Your white point of 75% or 100% represents how correlated color temperature along the line inside the triangle is calculated using both primaries and secondaries.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,056 Posts
Your DE is ~3 or less for you gamut.

Your red is under saturated (a common trait among LED monitors).


You are done, at least for gamut.

Nothing can add saturation.


With a CMS you could probably massage everything except Red down to a DE or 1 or so.



You could do a LUT to get your gamma better (or chose a different setting in the monitor).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
I just used my eyes with these settings, i just want to get the most neutral gray possibles, im not an expert just an enthusiast only, so about the delta the lower the better i know that but about the Red thing i cant follow you, needs to be more saturated? Whats CMS and LUT? and how about the grays do you like it? Also when i view movies i set in nvidia control panel video settings, that the bright contrast and other properties are manage by the videocard and not the player, and the only minor change that i make is reduce the bright from 50 (default) to 49... and the dynamic range full from 0 to 255...should i put more color saturation in the nvidia settings?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,056 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smodd /forum/post/18472797


I just used my eyes with these settings, i just want to get the most neutral gray possibles, im not an expert just an enthusiast only, so about the delta the lower the better i know that but about the Red thing i cant follow you, needs to be more saturated? Whats CMS and LUT? and how about the grays do you like it? Also when i view movies i set in nvidia control panel video settings, that the bright contrast and other properties are manage by the videocard and not the player, and the only minor change that i make is reduce the bright from 50 (default) to 49... and the dynamic range full from 0 to 255...should i put more color saturation in the nvidia settings?

Set the dynamic range to 0-255. Don't change anything else in the nvidia controla panel.


Without being there to see the display, the values you posted sound sane but don't mean much. They could be dead on, a click off or out in left feild.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Ok thks for your attentions and advice, initially i coudnt stand the blue saturation when i was looking websites, the grays always looked with a blue tint that i cannot take away until i choose those neutral gray settings, anyway thks and i hope someone else will like it too...
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by smodd /forum/post/18475391


Ok thks for your attentions and advice, initially i coudnt stand the blue saturation when i was looking websites, the grays always looked with a blue tint that i cannot take away until i choose those neutral gray settings, anyway thks and i hope someone else will like it too...

Increasing the saturation to 60 for each and using 75 contrast, and 50 brightness was what I did for the first three weeks, while it was lookiing blue, or almost like a cloud of colors.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Hi Steve, well the contrast i knew i couldnt go further than 73 cuz the samsung Tool to measure the contrast show me 4 blocks, one more clear than the other, and once i surpass the 73 value i coudnt see 4 squares anymore just 3, but at 71 the gray look more natural, so i stay with that...


Here´s a few pics that i took with my camera the contrast is better when i saw the colors looks more deep, but mi camera of 12 mpixels dont allow me more, the bright is not well represented and the colors look more deep in real life... thats a demo from Samsung in 1080p, if you want i can give the link but i dunno if this website will allow me to do so...

http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/8360/1000586.jpg


This one looks a little blurry but is not...
http://img532.imageshack.us/img532/6008/1000587q.jpg

http://img576.imageshack.us/img576/9506/1000588.jpg

http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/9983/1000591i.jpg

http://img532.imageshack.us/img532/6804/1000592s.jpg

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/3351/1000593k.jpg
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by smodd /forum/post/18478847


Hi Steve, well the contrast i knew i couldnt go further than 73 cuz the samsung Tool to measure the contrast show me 4 blocks, one more clear than the other, and once i surpass the 73 value i coudnt see 4 squares anymore just 3, but at 71 the gray look more natural, so i stay with that...


Here´s a few pics that i took with my camera the contrast is better when i saw the colors looks more deep, but mi camera of 12 mpixels dont allow me more, the bright is well represented but the colors look more deep in real life... thats a demo from Samsung in 1080p, if you want i can give the link but i dunno if this website will allow me to do so...

http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/8360/1000586.jpg


This one looks a little blurry but is not...
http://img532.imageshack.us/img532/6008/1000587q.jpg

http://img576.imageshack.us/img576/9506/1000588.jpg

http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/9983/1000591i.jpg

http://img532.imageshack.us/img532/6804/1000592s.jpg

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/3351/1000593k.jpg

That's one way to do it. I think you will find gamma mode1 most suitable for dynamic mode, and with slight color bias of red. The green can't be fixed in this mode. The "deep" looking colors of having set each RGB control to 45 without adjustment for temperature I think you will find is correcting your red saturation, and adjusting to a cooler temperature. You will not be able to see correct cyan like this, but you will gain some brightness.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Anyway these photos cant say much, is more bright in there that i have in my screen right now, but im more than happy with those results, thks 4 all man...bye.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
I just bought this monitor the other day and I am having some trouble finding the optimal settings for use with my Xbox 360.


Does anyone out there have this hooked up to their Xbox and have a set of calibration settings they might suggest?


Sorry to revive such an old thread but I figured it was better than starting a brand new one.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top