AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased an open box Samsung receiver at best buy for $200. Well, you get what you pay for. It is missing the remote and the manual. I've got so many universal remotes around here I figured programming a remote wouldn't be a problem. To my disdain, none of the remotes I have give me a code for the Samsung t-151.

Does anyone know the code for this receiver? I could program it into either a Sony tv remote, an RCA sattelite universal remote, an ONKYO receiver remote, or a Replay TV remote, but I can't find a code for this receiver in any of their manuals.

Any help you folks can give would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have so many remotes around the house, I'd like to just use one of the one's I've got. I called Samsung and explained the problem and they told me they were too busy to answer my call now but a service rep would contact me within 24 hours.

I've now hooked the receiver up and it doesn't pick up FOX near as well as my Zenith sat520 does on my other monitor. They are both connected to the same antenna. The picture keeps breaking up. I thought the Samsung was equal to Zenith in reception but apparently not quite. Too bad because $200 was a pretty good price, but if it can't get fox, I'll have to go get one that can.

·
Super Moderator
19,345 Posts
Everglades..

Buy a "learning" remote, take it to Circuit City (or wherever they have one set up and working) and use their remote to "teach" yours.

As for the differences, check your cables and splitters. I swapped out a 3-foot piece of RG-59 (from the box to the wall plate) with RG-6. Theoretically, it shouldn't make a difference, but it did. (Could have just been the connectors, too) It may come down to just minor differences. I have a Zenith DTV 1080 and a Samsung 151 hooked up to the same array. They all do fine, locally. But distant stations are different. The Zenith pulls in one the Sammy won't ..and the Sammy pulls in one the Zenith won't. Go figure.

Doc

·
Registered
420 Posts
DrDon, which stb has the best ota reception?

·
Super Moderator
19,345 Posts
Stan..

Between my two? It's a push. The Sammy will acquire and "memorize" channels with a lot less signal than the Zenith. HOWEVER, the Sammy won't display a picture unless it gets a pretty good grab. The Zenith tries harder to render a picture with a weak signal. There are three Dayton stations I can get from here in Northern Kentucky. The ABC affiliate hits them both well. The NBC comes in well on the Sammy, but not on the Zenith. And the CBS affiliate comes in on the Zenith, but not the Sammy. I can switch them out, room for room and the results don't change.

Beyond these two, I really can't help you. I don't think the wife is going to let me get another tuner without a set to go with it. I have 2 STBs, but only one HDTV. I, too, use the Sammy just so I'll have access to local DTV-only programming (basically, a full-time weather radar) in my office.

Hope that helps.

Doc

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
you can buy replacement parts (remotes, manuals,etc.) at www.samsungparts.com

most are 50-80 bucks. I was not able to find samsung OTA units on any of my remotes when I got my T150. They are just not supported well by other mfg'rs.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I get great results from my Sammy 151 with distant stations. I receive consistent reception from 2 stations 90 miles out and 1 station at 110 miles out, but that one is not consistent.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.