Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm getting my dish installed on Saturday and I'm also getting the Panny 50" LCD delivered that day as well. I was hoping someone can give me some quick info on the best setup for this combination.

From what I have read I should just set the switch on the back of the 160 to 720 and hook up via DVI. What I'm concerned about though, is I read that when viewing 4X3 SD material in Pillar Box mode to maintain original aspect ratio a small part of the video gets cut off and you lose information like the ticker on ESPN for instance.

Is the only way around this to hook up S-Video to the TV as well and switch video inputs when I'm watching SD material? Or is there something I'm missing.

If so would I be better off with the HD-300 in a month? I could always just EBAY the 160 once I the Sony is delivered.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I bought both the HD200 and the Sammy so I could compare the both side by side. The HD200 blows away the Sammy. The PQ is better, the menu is better and FASTER and the tuner on the HD200 pulls in OTA stations that the Sammy could not even get. I also had an issue with the Sammy trying to update firmware via D*. It would fail every attempt. I tried 2 Sammy boxes and they were both the same. The Sony updated in less than a few hours no problem. Go with the HD200 or wait for the HD300 if you want S-Video to be "hot" all the time. The Sony also allows you to change resolutions on the remote, the Sammy makes you manually switch them on the back of the unit. The only thing I liked better on the Sammy was that s-video was always hot, this is not so on the HD200 but like I said they fixed it on the HD300.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by SerhC
Hi,

I'm getting my dish installed on Saturday and I'm also getting the Panny 50" LCD delivered that day as well. I was hoping someone can give me some quick info on the best setup for this combination.

From what I have read I should just set the switch on the back of the 160 to 720 and hook up via DVI. What I'm concerned about though, is I read that when viewing 4X3 SD material in Pillar Box mode to maintain original aspect ratio a small part of the video gets cut off and you lose information like the ticker on ESPN for instance.

Is the only way around this to hook up S-Video to the TV as well and switch video inputs when I'm watching SD material? Or is there something I'm missing.

If so would I be better off with the HD-300 in a month? I could always just EBAY the 160 once I the Sony is delivered.
First, your probably not going to see any difference in the SD material via DVI vs. S-video so it seems perfectly fine to just view the SD stuff via the S input.

Next, just setting the Samsung to 720p may not be the best solution. Except for ESPN, all your D* HDTV stations are in 1080i so that means that either the Samsung must scale the signal to 720p or your display must scale it to 720p. (I'm assuming the LCD is native 1280x720). Your display may have a better scaler (mine does) and, if that is the case, it will look better in the 1080i setting. AS far as ESPN goes they don't show much of their programing in real HD anyway.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by John Moschella
First, your probably not going to see any difference in the SD material via DVI vs. S-video so it seems perfectly fine to just view the SD stuff via the S input.

Next, just setting the Samsung to 720p may not be the best solution. Except for ESPN, all your D* HDTV stations are in 1080i so that means that either the Samsung must scale the signal to 720p or your display must scale it to 720p. (I'm assuming the LCD is native 1280x720). Your display may have a better scaler (mine does) and, if that is the case, it will look better in the 1080i setting. AS far as ESPN goes they don't show much of their programing in real HD anyway.
Why change the to the 1080 output at the expense of the 720p? this suggestion means that NO HD source would ever pass through the system without scaling.

better to leave the T-160 in 720p (pass it native) and use the STB scaling for 1080i.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Quote:

Another reason for the Sony:) You can set it to automatically output the same resolution as in input, something that that you have to manually do on the Sammy.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JustJalone
Why change the to the 1080 output at the expense of the 720p? this suggestion means that NO HD source would ever pass through the system without scaling.

better to leave the T-160 in 720p (pass it native) and use the STB scaling for 1080i.
You may be confused. A fixed panel TV like a LCD cannot do native 1080i. So it must scale all 1080i signals to its native 720p at some point. All I am saying is that the TV may do a better job of this than the Samsung and if that is the case you'd want the Samsung set to 1080i. The only way to go native is if the HD signal is 720p and ONLY ESPN is 720p on D*, even counting OTA the vast majority of HD is 1080i so it would be wise to optimize the system for those types of signals.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by baja
Another reason for the Sony:) You can set it to automatically output the same resolution as in input, something that that you have to manually do on the Sammy.
Agreed, manually changing is a pain but because most HD is 1080i, its a small issue.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
You may be confused. A fixed panel TV like a LCD cannot do native 1080i. So it must scale all 1080i signals to its native 720p at some point. All I am saying is that the TV may do a better job of this than the Samsung and if that is the case you'd want the Samsung set to 1080i. The only way to go native is if the HD signal is 720p and ONLY ESPN is 720p on D*, even counting OTA the vast majority of HD is 1080i so it would be wise to optimize the system for those types of signals.
Okay so which one does scaling better the New Panny 50" LCD or the Samsung?

If I'm following you correctly ESPN on D* and ABC OTA both do 720p but the rest are 1080i. So basically if I set the output of the Sammy to 1080i its going to double scale those channels and the all the rest will only be scaled by the TV. Where if I did it the opposite The Sammy will scale all 1080i but the 720 stuff won't be touched by either unit.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by SerhC
Okay so which one does scaling better the New Panny 50" LCD or the Samsung?

If I'm following you correctly ESPN on D* and ABC OTA both do 720p but the rest are 1080i. So basically if I set the output of the Sammy to 1080i its going to double scale those channels and the all the rest will only be scaled by the TV. Where if I did it the opposite The Sammy will scale all 1080i but the 720 stuff won't be touched by either unit.
exactly my point... better to have at least one format (720P) not scaled at all... then to accept both formats scaled all the time.

regardless of the amount of 1080i vs 720p...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Quote:

As a matter of fact, you will see some diff. in SD material via DVI vs. S-Video.

At least I do, using Samsung TS-160 with Panny 50lc13, hugh COLOR difference.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Do any of you know if you can reset the 160 so it loses it current config? I am trying to get it to drop all the OTA channels it has picked up but can not use. I was thinking about disconnecting power over night, but don't know if that will work.

Thanks

·
Registered
345 Posts
Quote:
I am trying to get it to drop all the OTA channels it has picked up but can not use.
Go to Setup - Antenna & Cable - Add/Revove channels

you can then remove any OTA channels you don't want

·
Registered
20 Posts
I am not just trying to remove them from the channel list, I want to remove the entry period. When you take them out of the add window, they jsut stay in the remove window. I would like to clear everything out and start over.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JustJalone
exactly my point... better to have at least one format (720P) not scaled at all... then to accept both formats scaled all the time.

regardless of the amount of 1080i vs 720p...

That is your choice and will depend on your viewing habits. You should be aware that just blindly setting the output to 720p might not be the best thing most of the time. On my display it makes a big difference, and because I don't watch much in my theater on ESPN and they show very little of their programing in true HD anyway, I leave my Samsung on 1080i.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by pat_mcc
I am not just trying to remove them from the channel list, I want to remove the entry period. When you take them out of the add window, they jsut stay in the remove window. I would like to clear everything out and start over.
Unplug the unit. wait a short bit.

re-power the unit. when the unit is aqcuiring the channel guide.. open the front cover and hold down the RIGHT> arrow key and push the other selection buttons to the right of that.. one of them in combination with the > arrow puts the unit into a special menu. one of the choices on the menu is to re-boot the unit to factory specs.

sorry I can't be more specific.. found this when my unit was locking up due to bad PSIP data.

good luck

·
Registered
186 Posts
Quote:
That is your choice and will depend on your viewing habits. You should be aware that just blindly setting the output to 720p might not be the best thing most of the time. On my display it makes a big difference, and because I don't watch much in my theater on ESPN and they show very little of their programing in true HD anyway, I leave my Samsung on 1080i.
Given that the orig poster has a LCD w/ native progressive display, his best choice would be 720p.

I personally leave mine in 1080i because I use a CRT HD set. I am trusting the samsung to handle the 720p to 1080i scaling.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks for the assist. It the > plus the menu button to get into the diag screen. Reset and it cleaned all the extras out. That could be helpful if you sell the unit. Still don't get WBBM-DT anymore. Oh well try something else I guess.

Pat

·
Premium Member
16,978 Posts
Can the 160 take a progressive dvd signal in on its component input?

I want to feed it 1080I/540P into the dvd input so I can switch between dvd and my JVC vcr.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Alan Gouger
Can the 160 take a progressive dvd signal in on its component input?

I want to feed it 1080I/540P into the dvd input so I can switch between dvd and my JVC vcr.

Thanks!!
:confused: What component input:confused:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.