AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying out the samsung stb on my xbr 450. The picture is great, but is there a way to get the black boxes removed from the top and bottom or will it always be like this? It sounds like in the manual that on the zoom mode it should make this go away, but when I use this mode it puts pillars on the side of the tv. Is there a different mode I should have on the tv? Also the stereo light on the television is no longer lit when I am using the stb, does that mean I am not getting stereo sound? The sound is more muffled than when I am not using the stb (regular tv). Any help would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
411 Posts
Have you told the stb you have a 4:3 tv? If you do that and then set the output to 1080i you will get black bars on 4 sides on SD material for non-HD broadcasts.

I can't suggest much about your sound problems. Have you tried either the coax or optical outputs for sound?

Tom

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So the black bars on the sides and top and bottom is normal for regular tv when in 1080i mode? I thought there would be some feature that would fill the screen? I am in the 4:3 picture mode with the samung box, and I did figure out the sound.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
My understanding is that the HiScan Sony 4:3 TVs will always switch to 16:9 enhanced mode (V-Compression) when fed a 1080i signal. So, tell your STB that you have a 16:9 set and that is the best you can do. I think you cannot make a HD picture fill a Sony 4:3 TV.

If you're watching 4:3 up-converted programming you might be better off connecting the S-Video from your STB to another input on the TV and watching the down-converted (by STB) up-converted (by broadcaster) picture in full screen, but I've never tried this.

- Mike

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Is the S-Video port active when the STB is set to 1080i? Obviously I don't have one of these boxes, I'm just trying to logically walk you through the steps. I would hope that the S-Video would be active at all times.

There are many different ways this could work. Just experiment with different hookup and setting configurations and see what happens with your STB/TV combo. I am interested in what you find as I'm thinking about buying a T165 when it comes out.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
I'm using the T150 on a 4:3 until my HD arrives. There may be 2 things going on. One is the format of the originating signal and the other is the XBR doing something on its own. I can tell you for sure that the svideo output is active in all formats (selected by the switch in the back of the T150). I only get the letterbox bars top/bottom in 4:3 mode when I select Letterbox on the setup menu or when the original signal format is letterboxed. So, Zoom should fill the screen unless the signal comes letterboxed or the XBR is doing something. Are you getting correct aspect when these bars are top/bottom? (i.e. perfectly round circles). Try all 16 combinations of settings...

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the samsung T150 w/ a Sony XBR360. This is what I have found.

In HD - 1080i - 4X3 setting on the T150 / normal view works great for true HD - yes the black bars are on the top and bottom - It's suppose to be that way - but what if the show is not in HD format. Then the picture ends up being a 27" 4X3 on my 36" screen- not good. I don't want to down grade signal to S-video so I flip the switch in the back for 480p and use 4x3-zoom

and get a full screen of DTV -since it not HD its not HD. This is a royal pain since the switch is located on the back of the T150 box. Does anyone make a switching device to do this remotely? Samsung should have put this on the remote!!!

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Can you really tell the difference between the 480p component and 480i S-Video on this set? I did an A/B test with my brother-in-law's 36XBR400 and Sony Progressive DVD and I couldn't tell the difference.

At least then you could just put the S-Video into another input and switch that way.

- Mike

·
Registered
2 Posts
I did the test of S-video vs 480p and there is very little difference - Both look pretty good and a better quality S-video cable might make them closer to identical. This is much better than flipping switches on the back of the box.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.