AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I tried to install the 1.6 upgrade on my box (the second one - the first one died but that's another story), but didn't succeed. I'm sure I built the cable correctly (built cables before). I know the serial port on my antiquated P-75 notebook works because I use it with other interfaces, and I know it's COM1. I'm running W95, so I had no problem executing the batch file. I followed Steve Panosian's directions.(Question: do I start the bat file and then turn on the box or vice versa?) The download.exe file fired up, giving me the introductory screen, but then nothing further happened. Anyone have any suggestions?

[This message has been edited by Steve in VA (edited 08-21-2001).]

·
Registered
77 Posts
Steve,

What eventually worked for me was to plug in the cord while the STB was off, but make sure it's seated firmly, others have noted it's a little flaky. Then start the .BAT file, then turn on the STB.

The first few times I tried it, the download program reported the size of the data file, but then would give what looked like a checksum error. I rebooted the computer while the STB was off, started the .BAT file and turned the STB on and then it loaded properly. You'll see progress reports (% complete) and then a long series of messages indicating stuff was loaded correctly if it worked. Saying a few incantations at the time might help too http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
196 Posts
The trick to loading the software (I loaded V1.63 last night) is to make sure you have completely unzipped the file, then double-click on the Download.bat file. A DOS window appears.

Do not power up the SIR-T150 until you see the "Your DownLoad" text prompt with file sizes appear. As soon as you power up the tuner, it will begin the download, which will take a few seconds.

The program will tell you when it is finished. Then, power down and reboot the SIR-T150. You may have a momentary hang-up as you load in channels - again, power down and up, and the tuner should work fine.

KC

·
Registered
8 Posts
I got a new version of the SW yesterday from Samsung, however I am guessing it fixes the choppy audio problem. I just sent my T150 in for repair due to my problem of seeing lined boxes when viewing anything in SD (do a search on SIR-T150) in this forum and you'll find my prior post.

I takes about 1-2 minutes to download the new software and all kinds of technicial RAM/ROM/CHECKSUM stuff goes by on the PC screen while it's downloading. I had the problem of having to wiggle the mini-plug at the back of the SIR-T150 to get it to connect, otherwise the download program just sat there and did nothing...

Hope this helps,

Mike

·
Registered
77 Posts
Homer:

Email Steve Panosian from Samsung and he'll send you the update:

[email protected]

The updating process is a little flaky and immediately after the update there was no video, but after channel cycling it returned, and so far no more choppy audio problem. There's now a slight (<1 second) delay after changing channels before audio comes on, but that seems to allow the STB to lock in to the audio.

Jim

·
Registered
99 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by blipszyc:
Any idea if the cable that came with my Pronto will work to update the SIR-T150? Thanks.
Yep, that's what I used. However, I did plug the mini-plug side into an stereo audio extension cable (stereo mini-female one end, male the other) and then I checked the continuity of the pins to make sure they were connecting properly.

------------------

..RM

·
Registered
99 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Homer J:
How do I get the latest version 1.63?
Quote:
Originally posted by ufotofu:
Email Steve Panosian from Samsung and he'll send you the update:

[email protected]
I got the updates from Steve too, and put zipped-up copies of them on the web at http://members.telocity.com/~rmears just in case you need to get at it. Use at your own risk if you're not too technical. I updated the instructions a little and put info on making your own cable in the readme file.

I downloaded to my tuner over 30 feet of shielded cable using a Windows ME computer. I didn't see any download errors on the computer screen, but it didn't work right the first time and the tuner behaved really weird on some channels. I checked the wires and then tried a second time, which seemed to "take" and the tuner then started working perfectly.

The changes I noticed with version 1.63 are:
  • Stuttering audio is fixed
  • Changing channels does not revert to default "Full" vs. "Zoom" or letterbox. (It stays where you put it better).

I'm really VERY VERY happy with this tuner now!

------------------

..RM

·
Premium Member
1,682 Posts
I just updated my SIR-T150 to the v.1.63 firmware. When I was done, all of my (previously memorized) channels indicated a green light on the face of the unit but gave me a "No Signal" message on screen. Going to the signal strenth indicator showed a strong signal but still no picture (or sound). Very weird.

It seemed that no amount of power cycling the unit would get it to work. I must have shut it off and on at least a dozen times or more. Nada. Then I set it up to memorize all channels again... still nothing. Power cycled it a few more times and, voila, it finally started working. Once I locked my first picture, all of the rest worked too. Very weird.

Bottom line, it now works great. The audio stutter that I was experiencing on ABC (San Diego) is gone. Hooray!

Mark

·
Registered
44 Posts
Had exact same problems but I chose to reload 1.63 (three or four times) before it started working even though each time it appeared 1.63 loaded properly. Then all of a sudden it started memorizing channels again and picture and audo came back. I power cycled on and off many times during the debacle without success (probably needed more patience), but did not unplug the unit. In any case 1.63 finally took and the SIR T-150 is working great.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I have also done this upgrade several times. I suggest powering off the tuner once the upgrade is complete, then turn the power back on and do another auto channel scan. Let the tuner re-learn each station's physical and virtual channel IDs plus read the PSIP for each station. That should take care of the green LED being on while you see "No program" on the screen.

Pete

·
Registered
99 Posts
I got the impression that, aside from the power-cycle &

rememorize all channels, the box just needs a bit of hands-off

time (maybe 20min) to allow it time to reprocess a lot of

computer-type black box stuff inside.

Yeah, it's almost as strange as the indoor antenna tuning voodoo.

..Rick

·
Registered
57 Posts
I was able to update to V1.63 using a windows 98 computer without any problems. However, the intermitten audio stuttering problem continues! My OTA signal strength is in the mid-range, and I receive 6 OTA stations in Dallas, TX. So who knows why the V1.63 upgrade solves audio problems for some but not others? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Charley

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.