AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a Samsung SIR-T151 OTA HDTV Tuner.

I live in a valley that I imagine is challenging to receive an OTA signal.

Analog comes in, but it is fairly snow laiden.

I did an auto-scan for the T151 to find the local digital stations after pointing the antenna in the direction of the broadcast tower.

I received back 'no signal' from all the channels, HOWEVER, they all end in '0' versus a '1' as indicated by several OTA guides.

Is there no way, for example, to manually tune to 2-1 vs. 2-0 and rotate the antenna until I find a signal?

I believe I will at best receive multi-path signals.

Help!

Duffin

·
Banned
3,023 Posts
You have to manually punch in the physical digital channel (probably UHF) not the 2-1 number. It takes a second or two to lock to the channel, so you have to adjust the antenna very slowly. Try it outside.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don,

Thanks for the note. As I understand it, the digital channel is "24-1" vs "24-0" or am I missing something?

I also have the following digital channels in my area as an example:

19-1

24-1

29-1

30-1

44-1

Isn't the "-1" important?

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When I punch in 19, it then displays "19-0" and does not "19-1."

Is this normal? Due to no signal? Or does it need to be tuned precisely to 19-1?

·
Registered
10,880 Posts
You can get the "physical" channel numbers for your area here

19-1, 24-1, etc. are the mapped or virtual channel numbers.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Arxaw,

I started at this site your referred too. Titan TV also lists channels with a "-2" suffix. Confusing.

I will take your note to mean that the "-1" or "-2" suffixes are not important.

I just tune to 19 and keep playing with the antenna height, direction until I get a lock.

Thanks,

Duffin

·
Banned
3,023 Posts
The Samsung appears to display -0 until it detects a modulated signal. Then it will display -1 for the channel. You still need to experiment with antenna types, location, and position.

·
Registered
934 Posts
duffin, I have the same box and found it confusing at first. Here's what you do....

go to www.100kwatts.com and find your state listing. Any station that has -DT at the end is a digital (HDTV) signal. Write down the channel number and type it into the Samsung receiver.

For example, where I live, channel 30 is WCVB-DT (CBS). When I type 3-0-Enter on the remote, the 151 tunes to 30-0 and then quickly changes to 4-1. This is because channel 4 is CBS on the ananlog side of things. The broadcasters want you to be able to use the familiar numbers.

For me, I tuned to channel 30 and rotated the antenna slowly. It takes about 1-2 seconds for it to lock on, so be patient. In my case, the ana;log stations broadcast from the same tower, so I pointed the antenna to get the besest analog reception and then plugged the wire into the 151. THis may not work for you, but good luck.

If you can't get a picture, it's because you don't have enough of s signal. If you get a picture eventually, and want fine tune the pointing, use the audio of the station as a guide. Rotate the antenna one way until the audio stops, then go the other way doing the same thing. Using these 2 markers, point the antenna in the middle. This should be the strongest spot.

Good Luck!

-Brian

·
Registered
995 Posts
Brian, thanks for the info! I am getting a T151 as well and am still learning how to do all this. Your info will definitely help me when I get my 151 and start testing antennas.

I tried to click on the link but it didn't work. did a search and found it:

http://www.100000watts.com/

Great site!

Thanks,

Mark

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks all for your help.

I was on the roof yesterday and concluded that the hills are blocking the signal from the Sutro (SF) tower.

Guess I'll wait to see whether satellite or cable will deliver more HDTV content.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.