AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK guys, i have some updated info on the T160. I inadvertenly ended up with two of these boxes on separate transactions because of the great deal i got: one from ebay, the other from audiogon.

I received the T160 from my Audiogon transaction first. The original firmware was at .06, but had been updated to the latest .10 version. Without any prior reference, this thing was bug-ie as hell; static/clattering when I changed channels, wouldn't recognize a local HD channel unless I chose 'no dish', would shut down/reboot when i tried to order a PPV several minutes before the movie started (would work fine after the movie was 5 minutes into it?), etc. It was just quirky, to say the least, and I didn't really care for it.

...now enter the new box that arrived last night. The guy from whom I bought it never even opened it; packaging etc was pristine. However, I wonder if he hadn't gotten this from a D* deal? It had no access card number or serial number label on the box like my other one did. At any rate....

I checked the firmware version and it was at .10 from the factory, and this thing works BEEEEEEautifully. No probs exist whatsoever. In fact, it works even better than I'd expect it to. When it scanned my channels it disgarded all of my analog channels in favor of all my local HD ones! It's amazing.

In conclusion, I'm thinking that for this machine dynamic updates suck and will never be compatible with this thing. They may have corrected a few issues but more likely - created just as many. If you're in the market for one of these you can't go wrong with the Samsung T160. If i had to make a recommendation, it would be to buy only those coming from the factory with the .10 firmware. Otherwise, make sure you're able to return it to Samsung for one that is, if it's not at .10.

I know I've only had this one day, but I found all of the probs on my other one within minutes of hooking it up; it was pretty indicative of its behavior thereafter. I'm expecting only GREAT things from my newer one.

Just more 2-cents.

razor

·
Registered
627 Posts
You'll find it does have some problems. If you tell it to expand SD channels it does so. When you tell it to pillar box SD channels, it just cuts off the sides of the expanded screen, leaving you missing part of the picture.

It also may chop off the top and bottom of HD channels when viewed or recorded from the S-Video output.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well, these issues you mentioned are more just 'inconveniences' as opposed to full-blown headaches, with reference to my other probs on the first unit. I mean, I'd rather watch a few lines less of a program than no program at all. I have a 4:3 display and a 16:9 100" screen so pillar box really doesn't concern me - I reserve each display for its specific program material, i.e., if it can't be displayed completely on Fat Man, it's going to be watched on Little Boy.

Some of the analog connections I won't conern myself with simply because I don't do a lot of recording. And with the advent of the new HD Tivo, it's really of no consequence. However, just being able to use the machine the way it's meant to be used is satisfying enough. I'm just thankful the 'clattering' sound is gone when switching between channels AND my channel 5 NBC shows up in the guide!

I'll post any probs/info as it becomes available.

raze

PS Just outta curiosity, why, or when, would you watch something in pillar box?

·
Registered
444 Posts
I have had my 160 since 1/5/03 and have gone through .4 - .6 and then .6 - 1.0 and everything is A-OK rock steady. Except, of course, for the still documented "inconsistancies."

As I have been told about eProm flashing, a flash is a flash is a flash. It is not a s/w "upgrade" ala PC software upgrades.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
my old unit must've had a sock in it or something because it was just altogether a POS. My previous STB was the Samsung 151, so I kinda swear by them. I'm just glad the probs seem to be isolated to just my previous unit. My new one just 'feels' stronger for some reason.

At any rate...all HD makes razor a happy boy

I still think there's something to be said of in-factory programming as opposed to OTA. But then again I eat mustard with my fries so who's to know.

raze

Just to clarify, when I refer to any units outside of the Samsung 151, I'm referring to two T160s I have/had. First one was a piece; second one (my current one) is an effin' jewel! Prior to this box, I had a Samsung 151 local HD tuner (no D*). This one also was a bit quirky in that on bright scenes the pic would go black. Outside of that, it ran perfectly.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
I got the SIR-T150. Is this a good model to own?

·
Registered
444 Posts
It's flashed via a dish download, during the night, when you aren't looking... ;)

Seriously: There were many threads this past summer/fall about failed downloads due to a bad codeset that DTV had from Samsung... or it was the other way around if you asked Samsung!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just to clarify my previous post (look up), when I refer to any units outside of the Samsung 151, I'm referring to two T160s I have/had. First one was a piece; second one (my current one) is an effin' jewel!

Prior to this box, I had a Samsung 151 local HD tuner (no D*). This one also was a bit quirky in that on bright scenes, i.e., explosions, gun shots, etc., the pic would go black for a split-second. Outside of that, it ran perfectly

·
Registered
163 Posts
I got a T-160 and it still has revision 6 with no plans of an upgrade in sight...so far i am ok with no problems...any advice?

·
Registered
331 Posts
Perhaps this is an instance where it would be worthwhile to have the firmware in problematic units upgraded at the nearest service center. Yes, this is a pain, but it's vastly better than putting up with a bug-afflicted receiver for months or years.

Just my $0.02.

-T.

·
Registered
262 Posts
If you still have 1.06 you need to call *D for the upgrade to 1.10. Problems, yes, no feature upgrades such as large cell EPG and caller id name, but that is about it. OTA configuration problems and loss there off on occasion is another matter.

There was supposed to be a "last" upgrade to fix the above, but Samsung does not return my calls when I leave voice mail. Last excuse was 1) the product is discontined, 2) the features where as designed and with purpose. "Don't like it, buy another brand and be satisfied."

Great Advanced Tech Support! Do not believe next model will attract much attention regardless of add's and promo's. Core functions and reliability are solid on this model.

·
Registered
4,598 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by vstone
You'll find it does have some problems. If you tell it to expand SD channels it does so. When you tell it to pillar box SD channels, it just cuts off the sides of the expanded screen, leaving you missing part of the picture.

It also may chop off the top and bottom of HD channels when viewed or recorded from the S-Video output.
That's on DVI. Doesn't happen with component.

I used a DVI cable for nearly a year. While at my dealer one day, he handed me a Transparent Cable HP component cable and asked me to try it (same one I already use for DVD). So I take it home for a week and use it instead of the DVI. Here's what I noticed:

1) SD content looks much better, I mean way better

2) The left and right edges are not cropped off in pillar mode.

3) HD content looks about the same, but a bit smoother with component. More film-like in a sense. It is not worse than DVI.

4) When ESPN HD shows 4:3 content stretched, I can use the TV aspect to shrink it back to 4:3. Couldn't do that with DVI.

When I reconnected the DVI after week, I didn't like it, so I went back to the dealer to pay for the component cable.

So I'm now using component on the 160 instead of DVI and I'm much more satisfied with the result and PQ.

I think everyone's so caught up in the "DVI is a pure digital connection," I wonder if anyone's really stopped to smell the roses.

Dean

·
Registered
163 Posts
I called D* and they said I will get a firmware upgrade to my current 1.0.06 revision on my T-160

they said if it doesnt happen in 4 days to call back and say that the upgrade failed and they will hopefully hopefully send me another one with a current revision

·
Registered
597 Posts
Does anyones Caller ID work? The only time it will work on mine is if the call is "unavailable", and it shows up. Anyone else with this problem???

I have version.10 as well.

Thanks

·
Registered
10,880 Posts
Caller-ID works on mine. Always has. It shows the calling number on TV screen.

It does not show the calling name, and the instruction manual states that the ID is "number" only.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Dean,

I am jumping onto the component rather than DVI bandwagon myself. I'm just sick and tired of dealing with the whole black crush issue with this STB. I just got my Sony CRT HDTV back from the shop tonight, so I'll be performing a DVE calibration on it soon. The bad news is that I don't have any other source that outputs 1080i so that I can try to calibrate that particular mode on the Sony. So I'll just have to set the S-video and composite inputs (SD via the TS160 and VHS, respectively). That should at least make my standard def stuff via s-video look decent on the Sony.

Later,

Jeff

Quote:
Originally posted by dwette
That's on DVI. Doesn't happen with component.

I used a DVI cable for nearly a year. While at my dealer one day, he handed me a Transparent Cable HP component cable and asked me to try it (same one I already use for DVD). So I take it home for a week and use it instead of the DVI. Here's what I noticed:

1) SD content looks much better, I mean way better

2) The left and right edges are not cropped off in pillar mode.

3) HD content looks about the same, but a bit smoother with component. More film-like in a sense. It is not worse than DVI.

4) When ESPN HD shows 4:3 content stretched, I can use the TV aspect to shrink it back to 4:3. Couldn't do that with DVI.

When I reconnected the DVI after week, I didn't like it, so I went back to the dealer to pay for the component cable.

So I'm now using component on the 160 instead of DVI and I'm much more satisfied with the result and PQ.

I think everyone's so caught up in the "DVI is a pure digital connection," I wonder if anyone's really stopped to smell the roses.

Dean

·
Registered
10,880 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Iceblade
... I am jumping onto the component rather than DVI bandwagon myself. I'm just sick and tired of dealing with the whole black crush issue with this STB. I just got my Sony CRT HDTV back from the shop...
With a CRT display, the DVI input should look no better than component, because the "last mile" in a tube is analog anyway.

·
Registered
4,598 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Iceblade
Dean,

I am jumping onto the component rather than DVI bandwagon myself. I'm just sick and tired of dealing with the whole black crush issue with this STB. I just got my Sony CRT HDTV back from the shop tonight...
Jeff...

What are you using on your Sammy DLP? Or do you not have that anymore?

I didn't mention it in my previous message, but I switched from DVI to Component with the 160 on a Samsung HLM617W, even though it's a digital set. I also failed to mention in my post above that black levels are also better with the component cable than with DVI.

I've become a skeptic about the whole DVI thing. And it's going away in favor of HDMI anyway. I won't have to worry for awhile about whether HDMI is an improvement since I'm not likely to have HDMI gear anytime soon.

Dean

1 - 20 of 135 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.