Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Background:

My Samsung lockedup hard due to the failure of WFLD-DT Chicago's encoder and PSIP generator. Even after unplugging the unit several times, it would come back to the last channel is was on.. the failed 32-1.. and freeze again! Talking to Samsung support.. there appeared to be no hope but an exchange for a refurb.

While the unit was locked up. No controls worked.. no remote commands worked. nothing. Clock and date info was frozen... cpu functions stopped. Tech support tried to break into the unit using a front panel button combined with the "right" arrow. no luck. We unplugged the unit, and when AC comes back, the unit begins to acquire guide data... and then boom... right back to the bad DTV channel... frozen again.

seemed hopeless..... Then an idea!

The workaround:

While the unit is acquiring guide data, the cpu is running.. you have about 45 seconds.. You can interrupt the guide data and go into the SAT DISH setup menus. Nothing on this menu will help you.... but when in this menu, (while the guide data is downloading) start pushing the front panel buttons with the ">" (right) arrow. One of these buttons (went too fast to be 100% sure which one) will get you into a service / diagnostic menu. One of the selections (second from bottom) has a selection of "Restore Defaults" this will take your unit back to out-of-box configuration.

Yes, I had to re-scan and re-program my box... but I did not have to wait for a re-furb and was back up 100% in about 1/2 hour.... thumb was a little tired from all the remote action.. but it was worth it.

Good luck.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Are you sure it was the stations PSIP generator that caused the problem? The 160 literally recieves NOTHING (but the mpeg) from the station. If you dont believe this, then try this. Unplug your dish, reset the unit (restore to factory default). Tell the unit you have no dish, then do a channel scan. It will find your local channels, but there will be no channel call sign letters and no guide programming. Like I said, the 160 doesnt read ANY PSIP data or otherwise from the local channel......

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have the same problem with the 160 in Chicago. I just disconnected the OTA antenna before unplugging the box. Then unplug and plug back in, when the system comes back up(after re-scan), it will give you a searching for signal message and you can change the channel to anything you want. Plug the OTA antenna back in and you're good to go(just don't select 32-1 again or you'll have to do it all over again).

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Kraemer : The claim of PSIP data causing the problem (or loss thereof) was given by Samsung Tech support.

71olds: Good idea on the antenna disconnect.. I guess I took the long way around the problem. and yes.. I've avoided going to 32.1 until i hear the all clear from somebody else!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.