AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to Best Buy yesterday to look at the displays again, to make absolutely sure which one I wanted and I'm stuck. The Elite seems to have 3 advantages, more detail in dark areas, better SDTV tuner, and better glare reduction.

I didn't have a problem with glare on either set at the store, they didn't have SD up, but to me, most of the SD looks about the same on an HD panel, so those two areas are kind of a wash. But I'm unable to play with the settings, so I don't know if the Samsung can be dialed in better to have about the same level of detail in the blacks or not. Of course, they play mostly bright pretty material in the demo feed, so its hard to compare blacks properly when you get glimpses of shade in tree groves and black clothing.

My only worry is that dark games/movies on the Sammy won't show well, I'm thinking dungeons, night races on car games, LOTR movies, etc...Can anyone comment?

·
Registered
968 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spy Guy /forum/post/0

I went to Best Buy yesterday to look at the displays again, to make absolutely sure which one I wanted and I'm stuck. The Elite seems to have 3 advantages, more detail in dark areas, better SDTV tuner, and better glare reduction.

I didn't have a problem with glare on either set at the store, they didn't have SD up, but to me, most of the SD looks about the same on an HD panel, so those two areas are kind of a wash. But I'm unable to play with the settings, so I don't know if the Samsung can be dialed in better to have about the same level of detail in the blacks or not. Of course, they play mostly bright pretty material in the demo feed, so its hard to compare blacks properly when you get glimpses of shade in tree groves and black clothing.

My only worry is that dark games/movies on the Sammy won't show well, I'm thinking dungeons, night races on car games, LOTR movies, etc...Can anyone comment?

My primary advice is not to purchase a display that you cannot see in a store in reasonable lighting conditions and that you cannot adjust on material that you can judge for yourself the performance of the display. If you ask, or insist, many stores will eventually find a remote so you can adjust the picture.

Again if you insist many will also hook up a DVD to a display so you can play material that can test various aspects of PQ. Take along one that will work for you.

Good luck,

Gary

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
The Samsung and Pioneer are pretty close. While I did notice just a slight edge for the Elite in black detail, the Samsung had more natural colors and better details there. I bought the Samsung because my priority was inclined towards color fidelity.

As for black detail, I simply tweaked the contrast up from factory settings. As for glare, I didn't see an advantage with either. SD viewing on my Samsung is very good to excellent. I set my cable box to 480i and let the TV do the scaling.

·
Registered
968 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by discopaul /forum/post/0

The Samsung and Pioneer are pretty close. While I did notice just a slight edge for the Elite in black detail, the Samsung had more natural colors and better details there. I bought the Samsung because my priority was inclined towards color fidelity.

As for black detail, I simply tweaked the contrast up from factory settings. As for glare, I didn't see an advantage with either. SD viewing on my Samsung is very good to excellent. I set my cable box to 480i and let the TV do the scaling.

You may want to concentrate more on the brightness adjustment for dark shadow detail then readjust contrast for the whites and white detail.

Cheers,

Gary

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.