AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen few posts here, pro and con, about the new Samsung HLK436W fLCD rear projector. Now that the roll out is slated for July, has anyone ponied up to the bar and purchased one of these things? Best price so far seems to be Crazy Eddies or Brandsplace.com at $3,999.99. Looks like the $3,840 from Proactiveelectronics is a no more dot.com.

So what do you do if a pixel dies? Give it a decent burial, get a new chip or a new set?? Also is Warrantech, the extended warranty supplier to Crazy Eddies any good? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
33 Posts
handydave, can your insider give an actual street date of when this set will be available? I've seen the date slip on some sites or turn into "TBA," but here's one that lists September: link

Also, does anyone know what national retailers will carry this model... Sears, Tweeter, Best Buy, etc.? Or how about speciality stores in the Houston area?

Samsung's web site is less than helpful. The most recent DTV press release I see is from January 2000! They also haven't responded to this question via email.

Thanks for any info you guys can provide.

·
Registered
38 Posts
DAVID,

The local distibutor is :

NEW AGE MARKETING

STAFFORD,TEXAS!!!

1 800 800 0803

ASK FOR PETE. HE IS THE SAMSUNG GUY.

KD

·
Registered
19 Posts
Microdisplay Reports says that the 43" won't be marketed anytime soon. Seems like they can't get enough fLCD panels. Only 50" in limited quantities.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I called New Age Marketing and spoke with someone (Pete is in New Orleans) about availability of the HLK-436W. He did not have any idea when he will get them in... even his Samsung rep did not know.

The only good news is that the selling price will be under $3600.

I really want this set before December! I might have to start looking at plasma... http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/frown.gif

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
David,

As a former (dissatisfied) Samsung LCD RPTV owner, I have to ask... why are you looking at this set? Form factor? Don't want a projector? Ease of setup? None of the above?

------------------

Scott Gammans
DFAST is EVIL! BOYCOTT ANTI-CONSUMER 5C/DVI/HDCP MANUFACTURERS!
The Scooterplex Cinema 1

·
Registered
33 Posts
Scott,

Good question! My primary reason is the space for the set is 45"W x 30"H x 24"D. The height can be adjusted somewhat through carpentry, but the other dimensions are non-negotiable. A projector will not work for a few reasons. I also am set on 16x9 and have yet to find a large rear projection to fit my space. I also will not accept a resolution of less than 720p and the price needs to be under four grand. If anyone knows of a set to meet these requirements, let me know! I had almost settled on the RCA 38" widescreen, but it is just not quite big enough (viewing distance will be about 10').

The few reviews I seen of this set give it high marks. It is supposedly a generation beyond earlier LCD sets (and different too - hence the "f"LCD). I do know Samsungs' reputation for poor service, customer and otherwise. However, I'm hoping for the best! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

-Dave

·
Premium Member
1,224 Posts
I wonder what the dimensions of the Toshiba 43HX81 are?

I had a friend with a similar problem , but the limited depth of the Toshiba 57H81 saved him. It is less than 24" deep!! Thanks, Mark

·
Premium Member
24,995 Posts
David,

10' i salmost 3 screen widths away, double the nearest distance reccommended for HD. In other words, lower resolution may look just as good from that distance.

What's the contrast supposed to be like from fLCD? Poor contrast is something you *will* see from that distance.

------------------

Noah

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
David,

It goes without saying (why do people always say that before they say something obvious anyway? http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif ), but be sure that you buy the Samsung from a local dealer who has technicians that can service the set locally. Even if it's only eighty pounds and the size of a card table, you still are not going to want to have to ship that thing back to the factory if it ever needs service.

Another thing that you should check out is the cost to replace the lamp. Remember, what you are essentially getting here is a self-contained front projection system. The replacement bulb for my dearly-departed PLK405W cost a whopping $800 and was notorious for not lasting anywhere near the rated MTBF of 2000 hours.

I see that you have posted a similar question in the Samsung forum at ***************.com , but if you haven't done so already you should scroll down the page and look at the comments from other dissatisfied Samsung RPTV owners (esp. owners of the PLK405W and its brethren). Caveat emptor.

------------------

Scott Gammans
DFAST is EVIL! BOYCOTT ANTI-CONSUMER 5C/DVI/HDCP MANUFACTURERS!
The Scooterplex Cinema 1

p.s. It goes without saying http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif but I disavow any positive comments you may see in the Samsung forum regarding the PLK405W... those words were written before I had my eyes opened to the world of HDTV, thanks to the AVS Forum!

[This message has been edited by Scott Gammans (edited 08-28-2001).]

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yes, Scott, I posted a similar query at the HomeTheatreSpot, and also on The Home Theatre Forum for that matter, but as a true testament to the superiority of this forum, this is the only thread that got a response! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

And while I did read about the problems with the PLK405W, I am counting on this set being a totally different animal. However, I do plan to buy locally and even pony-up for the dreaded extended warranty.

Damon, I think the Toshiba models you mentioned are 4x3, if I remember correctly. I don't want to get into one of those long "16x9 vs. 4x3" threads, I just have my preference. Also, speaking of long threads, there is the whole "HD viewing distance" deal that I have read for hours. My two couches are about 10' away from the TV, but they are just for the spousal unit and her guests. When I settle in for the HDTV experience, I am the optimum distance (the length of my reclining legs http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/tongue.gif ) away!

BTW, Samsung's web site now says the HLK436W "Will be available in the beginning of 2002". With new direct-view, RP, and plasma sets coming soon, I am still keeping my options open. I am not sold on this set completely... and I really don't want to be the Guinea pig "taking one for the team." I will probably wait for a complete review of a production model as well as user comments here.

-Dave

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.