AVS Forum banner

221 - 240 of 308 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Remind us what Video Wall have you used the past 18 months?

Edit: now I remember the Planar 0.9mm. The videoprocessing had issues, but in the end you said you were satisfied with it, so why have you ripped it out afterall six months later:
so it turns out that there are some fundamental issues with the LED hardware/firmware that could not be resolved by the manufacturer, and so i decided to make a change. perhaps at some point in the future the issues could be resolved through further firmware improvements, but it's not something that i wanted to wait on. it's probably best to leave it at that. :)

·
Registered
468 Posts
so it turns out that there are some fundamental issues with the LED hardware/firmware that could not be resolved by the manufacturer, and so i decided to make a change. perhaps at some point in the future the issues could be resolved through further firmware improvements, but it's not something that i wanted to wait on. it's probably best to leave it at that. :)
What's the after market options for an LED wall? I mean, did you get some money back on your old system? Or just wrote it off as a loss?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Wow - that looks very promising! Please send more photos whenever possible Prefetch.

Is it easy to get an image up on a subset of the panels like that?

·
Premium Member
1,132 Posts
the audio system was calibrated about 18 months ago when the initial install was done. i'm reasonably confident that we won't have to recalibrate it after the samsung is complete because nothing else in the room has changed, and we haven't had to move the speakers at all during the install. fingers crossed!
I'm pretty sure I need to come back for a touchup calibration. ;) It certainly will be quieter now compared to the construction noise when I was there last!

·
Premium Member
7,145 Posts
it's actually on a lift, so when we're not using the tv, it goes down into the basement. there is a big fireplace in that stone wall in the background.

just going to be feeding roku and a plex server to it. maybe later a pc for some games.
Bow.

the lift is hydraulic and chain driven. it was custom designed and built for this installation. the original custom built control system was buggy and clunky, so i ripped it out and i built a new control system out of an arduino controller to manage the hydraulic pump. i've been using it over the last year or so and it works reasonably well.

this samsung is replacing a different LED wall i had installed 18 months ago. it'll be a really exciting upgrade because the samsung unit has a significantly better picture and a slightly finer led pitch.

the audio system was calibrated about 18 months ago when the initial install was done. i'm reasonably confident that we won't have to recalibrate it after the samsung is complete because nothing else in the room has changed, and we haven't had to move the speakers at all during the install. fingers crossed!
No. Kneel. KNEEL before @prefetch.

Those photos are completely amazing. I'm astounded. Hopefully this or its replacement will be affordable prior to my death.

Reactions: BiggerPicture

·
Registered
36 Posts
Is it easy to get an image up on a subset of the panels like that?
I've believe the scaling/mapping options are essentially endless, you can get as creative with the layouts and design of the panel placement as you could ever want. If you've got the dough, that is!

Looking amazing, can't wait to see it finished! Don't forget to tell us how HOT it is, to settle the ruckus in the Eclipse thread! :)

·
Registered
152 Posts
May I have the audacity to recommend what others may find missing as a Key Source for both of your best in class display equipped cinemas, but might have not dared to suggest?

Here it goes...

Get an in-home demo and you will see...:D

·
Registered
86 Posts
I've believe the scaling/mapping options are essentially endless, you can get as creative with the layouts and design of the panel placement as you could ever want.
I'd love to know if The Wall properly supports a CIH installation (with the image width growing/shrinking as the source varies) - that would be beyond cool, :)

·
ABSOLUTE ULTIMATE AV
5,028 Posts

·
ABSOLUTE ULTIMATE AV
5,028 Posts
I've believe the scaling/mapping options are essentially endless, you can get as creative with the layouts and design of the panel placement as you could ever want. If you've got the dough, that is!

Looking amazing, can't wait to see it finished! Don't forget to tell us how HOT it is, to settle the ruckus in the Eclipse thread! :)
LOL. What ruckus? And there's nothing to settle. According to Samsung themselves the heat production output with respect to a 6x6 configuration Samsung The Wall will be 15,973 BTU (typical) - 18,430 BTU (maximum) :)

However, it is worth noting that with respect to this particular installation any and all heat emination after the screen is turned off will end up in the basement given the whole rig is on a lift which disappears through the floor into the basement when turned off. So the heat production will only be outputted into the room whilst it is in operation and not thereafter :cool:

Also, folks really should not compare Video Walls with the Christie Eclipse anyway. These are different products for different applications / environments :)

For those who are interested here's the heat production for the various different configurations of The Wall:

·
ABSOLUTE ULTIMATE AV
5,028 Posts

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
The image is indeed drool worthy, but the 'chair...' looks less comfortable. With its red and blue blooming. Is there something that may improve this?

·
Registered
116 Posts
- the surface of the wall, when on, is about 137 degrees (F). not too hot to touch, but very, very warm.

- not what the kaleidescape gives me when the roku w/ vudu streams 4k w/ HDR and i have 108 TB of storage on my plex server where i keep my ripped blurays.

- the 'chair' text looks chunky, but there's been no configuration or tuning on anything. plus, i have low expectations on text for captions.

- we did a test today with HD content from my plex server. even the HD content looks awesome scaled up to 6k. WOW. it totally exceeded my expectations.

- one movie we played (A.I.) in HD and it had some odd effects on whites and flesh tones when it scaled up. it was uniformly odd looking for some reason. very watchable, but just a little strange, like kind of a mottled, crawly type effect. i don't know how to describe it. we then played several other videos and they all looked perfect, so it could be how i ripped the A.I. video. streaming from 4k vudu is awesome.

- we ran the roku through the samsung box, but then we started running everything through an integra receiver (through to the samsung box) and everything still looks awesome.

- color/brightness calibration is happening today, and it's a long process. i'll post pics tonight or tomorrow when it's done.

·
Registered
36 Posts
- the surface of the wall, when on, is about 137 degrees (F). not too hot to touch, but very, very warm.

- not what the kaleidescape gives me when the roku w/ vudu streams 4k w/ HDR and i have 108 TB of storage on my plex server where i keep my ripped blurays.

- the 'chair' text looks chunky, but there's been no configuration or tuning on anything. plus, i have low expectations on text for captions.

- we did a test today with HD content from my plex server. even the HD content looks awesome scaled up to 6k. WOW. it totally exceeded my expectations.

- one movie we played (A.I.) in HD and it had some odd effects on whites and flesh tones when it scaled up. it was uniformly odd looking for some reason. very watchable, but just a little strange, like kind of a mottled, crawly type effect. i don't know how to describe it. we then played several other videos and they all looked perfect, so it could be how i ripped the A.I. video. streaming from 4k vudu is awesome.

- we ran the roku through the samsung box, but then we started running everything through an integra receiver (through to the samsung box) and everything still looks awesome.

- color/brightness calibration is happening today, and it's a long process. i'll post pics tonight or tomorrow when it's done.
When you've got a giant reference grade display like that, I'm sure you can't help but notice every little bit of image compression no matter how slight. I'd love to see JPEG 2000 move out of the cinema and into the home to keep the quality of the content up with the rapid improvement in display technologies.

221 - 240 of 308 Posts