AVS Forum banner

241 - 260 of 308 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
The Kaleidescape has tons of reference 4k hdr content in BT 2020 color, with huge file sizes on some, 4k from Vudu is highly compressed, even some of the hd files are larger than bluray. Titles like Planet Earth 2, Spiderman Far from Home, Doctor Strange, John Wick 3 (I could put together a list) would push the image quality of the display to the limit.

In K you download the files to the local 6 or 12 terabytes (expandable) before playback, Vudu, appletv, shield are just streamers. The only way they can be comparable is on very poorly mastered movies, and there are many (uncut gems, sicario2) but when the transfer is great then there is no comparison.

·
Registered
86 Posts
The Kaleidescape has tons of reference 4k hdr content in BT 2020 color, with huge file sizes on some, 4k from Vudu is highly compressed, even some of the hd files are larger than bluray. Titles like Planet Earth 2, Spiderman Far from Home, Doctor Strange, John Wick 3 (I could put together a list) would push the image quality of the display to the limit.

In K you download the files to the local 6 or 12 terabytes (expandable) before playback, Vudu, appletv, shield are just streamers. The only way they can be comparable is on very poorly mastered movies, and there are many (uncut gems, sicario2) but when the transfer is great then there is no comparison.
No doubt K would look excellent here - but I believe the OP is running a Plex server, streaming without re-encoding BD/UHD content - so the difference won't be K vs low-bandwidth streaming, it'll be K vs UHD.

Of course, if the source file is a dud then 'crap-in-crap-out'.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Interesting. That's 58.3 degrees Celsius :)

Yes - The Wall is warm and cuddly - not like the chilly mean Eclipse ;)

58.3 is pretty warm for such a large surface area so it will be lovely in winter but need proper AC handling for the rest of the year.

Prefetch - Thank you for measuring the temperature in use, can I ask you please: does The Wall make any noise in operation? any audible cooling fans or similar?

Reactions: ARROW-AV

·
Registered
116 Posts
the kaleidescape sounds pretty cool - but i'm currently blown away by HD content and 4k streaming on this system, so if i tried kaleidescape i might have an aneurism! :eek:

i measured the power consumption - it's about 2.9kw. this varies somewhat based on the brightness levels of the screen. for example, during calibration and showing a pure white screen it jumps up a bit - but on average during movie watching it's about 2.9kw. we're going off-grid solar, so no biggie. ;-)

as far as noise goes - it's silent. i can't detect any noise at all.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Beautiful!

Did you consider doing 6x5 with a 2.13 ratio? For most movies, you'll have an entire row of 6 panels that are basically not used.

·
Registered
86 Posts
That looks superb - absolutely superb.

Reactions: prefetch

·
Registered
116 Posts
Beautiful!

Did you consider doing 6x5 with a 2.13 ratio? For most movies, you'll have an entire row of 6 panels that are basically not used.

the 6x6 setup fit perfectly over the previous installation, and the system is not exclusively used for movies (videos games, powerpoint presentation, etc.)

·
Registered
116 Posts
OMG. But I gotta thank you, I no longer have the most ridiculously over the top set up :)
:D

hey thanks again for helping me get hooked up with the right system integrators to get this project going.

so we're the only two guys that are owners in the "Samsung Wall Owners Thread" - we need some more owners! :)

also - i'm just curious if you've had any technical issues come up since your install. it seems like the samsung guys are top notch, and the software and driver are really tightly integrated, so i don't anticipate any problems, but i'm just curious how things are going so far.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #256 (Edited)
LOL. What ruckus? And there's nothing to settle. According to Samsung themselves the heat production output with respect to a 6x6 configuration Samsung The Wall will be 15,973 BTU (typical) - 18,430 BTU (maximum) :)

However, it is worth noting that with respect to this particular installation any and all heat emination after the screen is turned off will end up in the basement given the whole rig is on a lift which disappears through the floor into the basement when turned off. So the heat production will only be outputted into the room whilst it is in operation and not thereafter :cool:

Also, folks really should not compare Video Walls with the Christie Eclipse anyway. These are different products for different applications / environments :)

For those who are interested here's the heat production for the various different configurations of The Wall:

FWIW, my 4x4 The Wall (only 4K, sniff), at about 7,100 BTU, dumps its heat into the very well insulated theater. The regular ambient air theater HVAC has no trouble coping with the extra load, although the AC does turn on more frequently now when watching. Obv, no heat when the system is off.

Since we are talking heat - the Media player (the thing that drives the screens, and has all the HDMI and network inputs) runs pretty darn hot. You don't want to install it under other components in a rack. Ideally, you'd have a fair bit of empty air above it.

·
Premium Member
2,361 Posts
as far as noise goes - it's silent. i can't detect any noise at all.
Fantastic setup...
What I am digging about the 'Wall' is the social aspect of movie watching on the 'Wall' - these days with the family quarantined (although I am in essential services industry and working every day) - we gather around in our living room and chat watching TV... having a drink etc.
Going to my theater is like an occasion and I less and less go there alone and sit and watch movies.
The Wall gives way more utility and flexibility - that's why Peter (Cinermax) is installing them in high rise apartments with great views.
This install is just amazing with the basement to hide the wall when not in use - just genius - and you need the space/basement.
I have the exact spot for this size wall in my home - but no way to hide the Wall like you do.
Long rant short - the social Aspect of a Wall to me and enjoying movies with family in a open space ... and sports off course... is priceless.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #258
hey thanks again for helping me get hooked up with the right system integrators to get this project going.

so we're the only two guys that are owners in the "Samsung Wall Owners Thread" - we need some more owners! :)

also - i'm just curious if you've had any technical issues come up since your install. it seems like the samsung guys are top notch, and the software and driver are really tightly integrated, so i don't anticipate any problems, but i'm just curious how things are going so far.
I did have a panel that would turn off - it turned out to be a bad cable (Samsung cable). After that issue, nothing else has gone wrong. Works great, stable. And Samsung support to fix that issue was superb.

I find that I use the streaming apps that come with the Wall a lot. I use the built in Apple TV app, the ESPN+ app, the Disney app, the HBO app, etc.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I find that I use the streaming apps that come with the Wall a lot. I use the built-in Apple TV app, the ESPN+ app, the Disney app, the HBO app, etc.
Yes in theory at least having the app inside the STB is a more direct connection than the externally connected Roku, should be cleaner. The same applies to flatscreens.

241 - 260 of 308 Posts