AVS Forum banner

261 - 280 of 308 Posts

·
Registered
18,196 Posts
the kaleidescape sounds pretty cool - but i'm currently blown away by HD content and 4k streaming on this system, so if i tried kaleidescape i might have an aneurism! :eek:

i measured the power consumption - it's about 2.9kw. this varies somewhat based on the brightness levels of the screen. for example, during calibration and showing a pure white screen it jumps up a bit - but on average during movie watching it's about 2.9kw. we're going off-grid solar, so no biggie. ;-)

as far as noise goes - it's silent. i can't detect any noise at all.

Wow!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Mr. Prefetch, since you have been so accomodating with all our queries and whims, how does one measure the temperature of a wall? an airport thermometer.

One final request, how about dubbing this soundtrack on the above
video?

https://youtu.be/mF_6cSads0E

:D:D:D:cool::cool::cool:
during the installation the installers would have each individual display show their own temperature reading. they did this at various times during the setup and tuning process to make sure nothing was overheating.

heating isn't a big issue where the unit is installed - it's a very, very large room with very high ceilings (~30 feet or so) and i'm up high in the mountains so the ambient outdoor temperature is pretty mild, even in the middle of summer.

the energy reading (~2.9kw) was from my own sensors that are connected to my power system.

and yes, sometimes it does feel a bit james bond around here.. ;)

·
Registered
667 Posts
the kaleidescape sounds pretty cool - but i'm currently blown away by HD content and 4k streaming on this system, so if i tried kaleidescape i might have an aneurism! :eek:

i measured the power consumption - it's about 2.9kw. this varies somewhat based on the brightness levels of the screen. for example, during calibration and showing a pure white screen it jumps up a bit - but on average during movie watching it's about 2.9kw. we're going off-grid solar, so no biggie. ;-)

as far as noise goes - it's silent. i can't detect any noise at all.

Setup of the year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #264
For those other The Wall owners (@prefetch), if you want to reorganize the apps on the home screen, or delete an app, you can download The Wall app (available ONLY for certain Samsung tablets) and rearrange things. More info attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
116 Posts
For those other The Wall owners (@prefetch), if you want to reorganize the apps on the home screen, or delete an app, you can download The Wall app (available ONLY for certain Samsung tablets) and rearrange things. More info attached.
oh cool. i didn't know about this. thanks.

also, someone asked about why i went with the full 6x6:

ok sorry, i'll stop flexing now. i'm just super pumped!! :D

·
Registered
86 Posts
the energy reading (~2.9kw) was from my own sensors that are connected to my power system.

Well that's a really good sign TBH - that's just over 10,000 BTUs for your 6x6 system, well below the 16,000 to 18,000 BTU theoretical output from the chart and entirely manageable in such a large room.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts

Is that 4 separate feeds? How many inputs can you do simultaneously?

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #271
Is that 4 separate feeds? How many inputs can you do simultaneously?
It's got to be 4 separate feeds. Each one of those display quadrants has to be fed by a different computer or console. And that's how many HDMI inputs the Samsung media box has.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #272

How do you multiplex sound, or should every player have their own headphones?

·
Registered
116 Posts
no magic happening there - it's just a single HDMI feed from the xbox. the xbox does the screen split for multi-player mode.

·
Premium Member
7,145 Posts
I have just now finally been revived. They had to charge the paddles to 300 before it took. Pardon my French but JFCHFSOMFG. The internet is a terrible (or perfect?) means of conveying the rigidity of my boner, but, man oh man oh man. And those are 4 lucky fellas playing the game, that's for sure.

the 6x6 setup fit perfectly over the previous installation, and the system is not exclusively used for movies (videos games, powerpoint presentation, etc.)
I am weirdly intrigued by this. Tell us more.

Also, please be my friend.

·
Registered
150 Posts
It's got to be 4 separate feeds. Each one of those display quadrants has to be fed by a different computer or console. And that's how many HDMI inputs the Samsung media box has.
Since he is already occupying one input for the receiver/roku input, and he is planning on adding a gaming PC, this could be an x-box 4 play mode.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
no magic happening there - it's just a single HDMI feed from the xbox. the xbox does the screen split for multi-player mode.
That's what I figured. But is it possible to display 4 inputs at once? (I don't know anything about what drives this display)

·
Registered
462 Posts
I was under the impression the Samsung OneConnect box was able to tile the display across multiple inputs, which would be great for this application since each quadrant has approx. 3K resolution.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I was under the impression the Samsung OneConnect box was able to tile the display across multiple inputs, which would be great for this application since each quadrant has approx. 3K resolution.

yep, it's got multiple HDMI inputs on the box. i haven't played with it yet, so i'm not sure how to make everything work. i don't think there is a manual...

the problem with doing multiple displays is that the audio would kind of a mess if the media you were display had audio. the samsung box does have an optical out for audio, but i don't know if it's a mux of the inputs or if you have to assign it to one particular source input.

right now i just have one hdmi input from my integra receiver, and the integra handles all the audio, so the samsung box is just handling whatever source the integra gives it to display.

·
Registered
462 Posts
You can use headsets on PS4/XBox controllers. The consoles send each a dedicated sound feed. That way, each player has the sound they are supposed to be getting. Something to try out.

You could run multiple consoles (XBox One, PS4, etc.) to a single Samsung input going through an HDfury with auto-switching. And then have one set of consoles go through the Integra to feed the surround sound system for when you play solo or share a screen.

·
Registered
18,196 Posts

By all means, please continue flexing. I consider this my quarantine workout.

Reactions: jorgebetancourt
261 - 280 of 308 Posts