AVS Forum banner

161 - 180 of 308 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Showed this to my kids tonight and told them we were getting one. Once their excited fades a bit, told them I was joking....went on to explain they cost more than our house. Saying it out loud makes you realize how ridiculous it is right now.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I was told that the 73" (1080p), 146" (4K), and 292" (8K) are the existing .86 pitch product that is the subject of this owners thread.

The 150" (8K) is a new prototype .4 pitch product based on the smaller pixel pitch tech shown at CES 2019 in the 75" (4K) prototype.
Love that they are lowering pixel pitch plus adding 8k, any other upgrades ?
What is color volume they offer ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hard to imagine OLED performance (but even brighter) on a size that is as big as projected image. Obviously, the photos won't do the justice even with the perspective photos. But I'd imagine it looks simply amazing. Congrats. Funny how your theater looks very old fashioned theater (in the bestest way) but has one of the newest HT tech on the market.

PS. How do you find performance of center channels being where they are? Compared to your old setup?

·
Premium Member
7,145 Posts
@ptrubey you having a Super Bowl party? :D

·
Registered
20,229 Posts
Good luck with that. Dolby's gig is running out of steam, their attempt to jump on the the 4k/HDR wagon to survive is unlikely to succeed. The advance of technology will inevitably render them obsolete.

Considering HDR10 was Dolby’s too ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ they’ll survive just fine. They also have a lock on the theatrical releases. Seems there is plenty for everyone in the market.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #167
PS. How do you find performance of center channels being where they are? Compared to your old setup?
I have now put the center channels back to where they use to be, above and below the screen. Much better. And in the process, I found that the center channel woofer inputs used to be disconnected. So I wasn’t getting any sub 80hz from the center channel at all. Not sure when that goof up occurred, but that got fixed too in this latest go around.

@ptrubey you having a Super Bowl party? :D
Well, yes!

·
Registered
725 Posts
Micro LED technology is limited to applications in high-end large-size commercial displays and deluxe home theater systems currently due to high production cost, but technological improvements are expected to broaden its adoption in display modules which can be mosaicked into large screens of various sizes starting 2024, Digitimes Research's newly published Special Report on the outlook of mini and micro LED.

While Sony and Samsung Electronics have unveiled micro LED-equivalent display modules, their prices are over US$50,000 per square meter, far exceeding US$500-1,500 per square meter for 75-inch 4K LCD TVs and US$3,000-6,000 per square meter for 77-inch OLED TVs.

As sizes of glass substrates are limited for production lines, it is difficult to produce LCD or OLED TV panels of over 120 inches. In comparison, micro LED display modules can be mosaicked into 110-, 220-, 440-, 790-inch or even larger displays and will therefore have market niche in commercial displays of over 100 inches. But, the problem is how to reduce production cost for micro LED panels.

A new manufacturing process via embedding CMOS circuits in micro LED chips seems to be able to hike yield rates and thereby decrease production cost for micro LED panels. The process reduces complexity of mass transfer of micro LED chips onto backplanes to facilitate wafer-level production and testing. In addition, backplanes are not limited to TFT-LCD glass substrates and can be made of glass, metals or flexible materials.

Samsung's The Wall

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #170
The Wall isn’t expensive only because of manufacturing. Getting all 16 panels to line up correctly in three axis isn’t a piece of cake. Then you have to color calibrate each panel to each other. There was a reason my install took five days.

The Super Bowl looked great in 4K, Btw. Having said that I suspect it will look even better in a year or two once more 4K programs are available via streaming. The Directv signal, while not having any obvious compression artifacts, looked like it was a tad soft. Don’t get me wrong, we could still sharply see individual blades of hair on announcers...

·
Registered
7,961 Posts
Good luck with that. Dolby's gig is running out of steam, their attempt to jump on the the 4k/HDR wagon to survive is unlikely to succeed. The advance of technology will inevitably render them obsolete.
It's doing well enough and got its foot in the door with displays that don't excel at being light cannons dating back to 2016 (OLED). HDR10+ is not exactly winning hearts and minds either. Without Dolby, HDR wouldn't even exist in its present format. My apologies for not worshiping at the Samsung altar.

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
The Wall isn’t expensive only because of manufacturing. Getting all 16 panels to line up correctly in three axis isn’t a piece of cake. Then you have to color calibrate each panel to each other. There was a reason my install took five days.

The Super Bowl looked great in 4K, Btw. Having said that I suspect it will look even better in a year or two once more 4K programs are available via streaming. The Directv signal, while not having any obvious compression artifacts, looked like it was a tad soft. Don’t get me wrong, we could still sharply see individual blades of hair on announcers...
XYZ onsite adjustment is only available on the cabinet level? When I brought up the out-of plain status even within the module/cabinet with some exhibiters at ISE, they affirmed to offer adjustment options for individual panels,not just the module/cabinet. These were high level LED panels. Looking back that means i have to infer that the epoxy is not applied on the cabinet level, but the individial board.

On DCI-Forum I read that the Sony has to be calibrated for each panel during set-up. So that takes a long time.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I used the FOX Sports app on Apple TV 4K going directly into my projctor(LG HU85/120" ES UST CLR screen), because my AVR is too old to pass 4K/UHD signals, and I was pretty damn impressed, and I've been working in the network & broadcast television and production worlds for over 22 years as a cameraman. It was probably the best looking live event I have seen in a home viewing environment*. Even during the confetti drop at the end of the game, that normally "breaks" every broadcast, satellite and cable transmission and turns the image into mush, I could see almost every single piece of it.

*After I turned off the tone mapping and bumped the color saturation down several points. Whatever they were sending out via the app was too dark and over saturated, but when I watch their shows on their app otherwise, they are beautiful.

·
Premium Member
7,145 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
i've actually got 40 panels (16 on 2 pallets and 8 on a 3rd pallet.) it's a 36 panel config.
Sounds amazing! - what screen aspect ratio are you aiming for? 16:9, 22:9 or something custom?

161 - 180 of 308 Posts