AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
I read that thing, too, VBS... Interesting, eh?

The only info I can provide, is that these would logically be used for very small electrodes in FEDs. Field emissive displays are like the Toshiba-Canon SED display, but an older technology. There was historically a problem building the array of electron guns for what amounts to a variant of the single-pixel-CRT scheme.

Perhaps nanotech means the "dead FED" is back alive... That's all I've got so far on this one.

Mark

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Carbon nanotubes are going to change the world........

yeah right! It seems to me they said the same thing about the buckyballs (C60). Haven't heard much from them since the nobel prize. (although they have been used in OLED research)

Read some news about a big energy company investing capitol into IP rights of NanoTech, and they are using this money to build a manufacturing plant for nanotubes. Maybe they can reduce the 500$/gram production costs.

I shouldn't be so skeptical though. Property wise, nanotubes seem to have many more (practical) promising attributes than buckyballs alone do.

Here's some examples:

-Conducts heat more than any known material (including gold)

-Conducts current 100 times better than copper

-Can emit electrons like a CRT electron gun

-Can be either conductive or semi-conducting (extrinsic, I think)

-100 times stronger than steel

all this and the tubes are 100,000 times thinner than human hair

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Nanotubes are to buckyballs what the transistor is to the vaccuum tube... Same basic idea, but much more interesting applications due to much greater versatility.

(And in the nanoworld, the generational change took about 2 years, instead of many decades. :) )

Mark

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.