AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a problem with my TS-160, and am looking for guidance.

I can receive good signals from all three sats in setup. D* picture is great, and all channels are visible UNTIL... I tune to 509 (HBOHD) or HDNET. Once I do that the signal from Sat A (101) is gone.

If I go to the setup menu I can find a signal from Sat A by paging through the transponders. If I then move the signal meter to either of the other sats the Sat A signal is gone again.

I've searched the forum for this problem, but no luck. Can anyone help.

·
Super Moderator
18,529 Posts
Ok, maybe I'm missing something, but HDNet and HBOH are on 119. When you select those channels, the multiswitch switches you to the LNB that's looking at 119. Naturally, when you're switched to the 119 bird, the 101 signals won't be available. A multiSWITCH is not a signal combiner. It just processes the request from the receiver and selects the satellite and polarization the receiver is asking for. Your receiver only gets the signals from 10 or 12 transponders at a time (figuring for the spot beams) from just one satellite. It doesn't receive all of the signals simultaneously.

I would assume if you tune to, say, 201 and THEN check for a signal on Sat A, you'd have one. DirecTV HD receivers have a habit of remaining "tuned" to the satellite of the DirecTV channel you were last watching.

Or, like I said, maybe I'm missing something in your problem..

Doc

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dr. Don,

Sorry if my post was unclear. Let me try again.

I can find signals for all three sats using the signal meter. For Sat A (101) I usually have to page through several transponders first, but can always find the signal.

If paging through the transponders in Sat A is the last thing I do, I can then view all the channels carried on Sat A. However, if I tune to HDNet or HBOHD the signals from Sat A drop off. All I see for those channels is a black screen with the message "Searching for satellite signal." To view these channels I must retunn to the signal meter and page through the transponders until I find a signal. Turning the receiver off and back on does not help.

The same thing happens when I am looking at the signal meter. I can find a strong signal from Sat A - usually greater than 95%. If I move to Sat B or C I also have a good signal. When I go back to Sat A the signal strength is zero, and stays at zero unless I page through the transponders.

I've tried what you suggested, and no luck. I tuned to 202 (CNN). From there I moved up the channels to HDNet and watched Hogan's Heroes for a few minutes. Then I go back to CNN and get a black screen. I waited for five minutes, but no signal. I then went from 202 to around 250 very slowly, one channel at a time. All was black.

Thanks for the note.

·
Super Moderator
18,529 Posts
Ok, I get it, now. When you tune to channels on the Sat B, it takes a while for it to get back to Sat A. Multi-sat receivers send an audio tone upstream from the STB to the multiswitch to tell it which satellite to select. No tone means 101. Tone means 110/119. Your box sends the tone to the multiswitch, which switches the signal set to 110/119.

So, what's happening here? My first guess would be a bad multiswitch. It's switching when it hears the tone, but not switching back when it doesn't hear the tone.

Second, interference. Unshielded transformers, dimmer switches, diplexers, TV sets.. there are a lot of things that could put enough interference into the mix to make the switch THINK it still hears the tone when it doesn't. But usually such interference works to inhibit switching to 119.

If you have another STB that tunes Sat B/C, poor cabling could introduce that sort of interference if the other STB is tuning 119 at the time.

Underpowered multiswitch. Passive multiswitches with cable runs longer than 50 feet COULD be subject to voltage starvation. Again, since it's working to begin with, I doubt this is an issue.

First, check the wiring. If it's all sound, swap out the multiswitch. You can remove the Sammy from suspicion by putting another HD-STB or a standard-issue DirecTV "Plus" receiver at the Sammy's location. If IT doesn't have problems switching back and forth, it's the Sammy.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have been having the same problem, all of my receivers. I can get espn news, but can't get espn, cnn, court tv. Sucks, couldn't watch the Stars last night, but maybe a good thing. I have a Terk S25 dish, bought at Ultimate Electronics in Dec. I know there has been a recall due to cold weather realated issues, but I talked to them on Sunday and they are coming out on friday to replace the multi-switch LNB assembly. Hope this works. will post back to let you know if it does, good luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I replaced the LNB and everything now works well. I just wish I could teach my Tivo to tune to 2-1 instead of 2.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.