AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a new TS160 using the DirecTV $99 deal. Did not get optional antenna because they would not credit the cost.

Presently have a Mits HD5 working well with a Terk 55 for OTA and of course other combinations of DirecTivo's and receivers. These are fed by a 18X24 3 LNB dish connected to a 5X4 multiswitch (Eagle Aspen 4180-GX+).

Now comes the problems:

The TS160 will not receive any local digital channels from the Terk while the HD5 will. This is with the antenna hooked up individually to either receiver or fed through the multiswitch. Thinking it was an amplification issue, I fed the antenna line through a 15db amp and then to the multiswitch. This caused all the satellite outputs to get very weak and really for all practical purposed shut down my satellite. Taking the amplified antenna input off the multiswitch brought the signal back up.

I have since hooked up the TS160 to a ChannelVision 3018 (attic) and a Silver Sensor again with no digital signals found. On the HD5 I get most of the channels using either.

Questions:

Could the OTA input on the TS160 be defective? It does seem to bring in the analog signals however, just no digital ones.

What causes the multiswitch to go haywire when feeding an amplified signal to it?

What other solutions do you guys suggest? Different antenna? More amplification? A better preamp? etc

Any suggestions at this time no matter what greatly appreciated.

Ed

Arlington Texas

·
Registered
367 Posts
Use a seperate cable for the antenna, no diplexers or multiswitches. Then do a digital scan for OTA. This is in setup menu of Sammy. Should give you any stations that the receiver can see.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Update:

Moved my old box HD5 back to the media room where the T160 is located. Moved the antenna input from the T160 back to the HD5.

Viola!! Digital signals at last but only on the HD5.

Is it possible for a HD receiver to have a faulty digital OTA input only? The OTA input does get the analog signals but does not get the digitals.

Looks like it may be time to get DirecTV to ship me another one.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Did you do a scan from the menu on the Sammy like herb mentioned. I had to do the same thing to mine.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes I did a scan.

I have done a scan for digital OTA signals at least 25 times with all kinds of combination of antennas, diplexors, splitters, amps, etc. It also takes about 10-15 minutes each time to do each scan which seems long to me.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quick update:

Turns out that the Digital OTA tuner was bad. Got replacement drive from DirecTV and all digital channels (well 15 of 16) came right on up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.