AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I have a Samsung UN40EH5050F LED TV. I just purchased Sony wireless headphones that I need to hook up to the TV. The headphones connect to the TV via 3.5mm mini-plug or RCA L&R connectors. The TV does not have RCA audio output jacks, only input. It has a jack labeled “Audio Out”. The TV manual shows a mini-plug/RCA splitter going into this port. The standard 3.5mm mini-plug supplies w/ headphone base unit does not go all the way into this port. I tried other 3.5mm mini-plugs, they do not seat fully either (they bottom out too soon). I did online chat w/ Samsung tech support. They said it is a 3.5mm port. I then called Samsung tech support as plug does not fit. Tech support said it is SPDIF, not 3.5mm mini after I told them the 3.5mm plugs do not seat. There does not appear to be anything wrong w/ the port. I think there is some other kind of plug/cable for this “audio out”. Please look at my pictures of the manual and back of TV and tell me what I need to hook up the wireless headphone base unit. Note: There is no “headphone” port on the TV. The outline of the port does not look like any of the 3.5mm ports on my computer, other TV, etc.
Thanks much! - TSPORT

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The headphones are Sony model MDR-RF985RK. The base unit only accepts RCA or 3.55mm mini-plug. I still would like to know what is supposed to fit inside the "audio output" jack on the TV. Anyone else out there have a Samsung TV with the same jack that can confirm what fits?
Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The headphones are Sony model MDR-RF985RK. The base unit only accepts RCA or 3.55mm mini-plug. I still would like to know what is supposed to fit inside the "audio output" jack on the TV. Anyone else out there have a Samsung TV with the same jack that can confirm what fits?
Thanks!
........I'm thinking I might need one of these for the "digital audio output" instead if unable to utilize the "audio output" jack on TV. " Digital Optical Coaxial Toslink Signal to Analog Audio Converter Adapter "

·
Registered
9 Posts
Not sure exactly on this model, but there were models where Samsungs video inputs were breakout dongle cables that came supplied with the TV. In this drawing, they are showing a mini-rca y cord. I'm wondering if it was included with the TV and the jack is actually not a 3.5mm. Worse case, grab a toslink to analog and call it a day

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not sure exactly on this model, but there were models where Samsungs video inputs were breakout dongle cables that came supplied with the TV. In this drawing, they are showing a mini-rca y cord. I'm wondering if it was included with the TV and the jack is actually not a 3.5mm. Worse case, grab a toslink to analog and call it a day
Thank you for the reply. The TV did not come w/ a cable for it. Think I will go to "Plan B" toslink converter as you say.
Not sure why Samsung can't even tell me what goes in that port. All my internet searching is fruitless as well.

·
Registered
6,199 Posts
My new Samsung Smart UDTV has three such ports: AUDIO OUT, EX-LINK and IR-OUT....and MY Hook-Up Diagram for AUDIO OUT looks the same as what's in YOUR Manual, except it's a much clearer drawing showing a cable with the usual 3.5-mm Stereo Plug going to L/R (RED/WHITE) RCA Plugs.

ALL three accept either Stereo (Tip-Ring-Sleeve) for AUDIO or Mono (Tip Sleeve), as used for the other two.

Perhaps you just need to apply a BIT more pressure while wiggling it around....if that doesn't work, the Jack is defective....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts