AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have HDMI running (from a PC) to my Samsung LCD TV. The cabling is in the wall. I am trying to use the optical out on the TV. However, I read in the manual that if the TV is getting input via HDMI, it will only give 2 channel stereo through the optical out. Is this normal or a limitation of this TV?

·
Registered
10,866 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeljc70 /forum/post/20870597

I have HDMI running (from a PC) to my Samsung LCD TV. The cabling is in the wall. I am trying to use the optical out on the TV. However, I read in the manual that if the TV is getting input via HDMI, it will only give 2 channel stereo through the optical out. Is this normal or a limitation of this TV?

Both.

Most TVs (until very recently) only support 2-channel audio, so when an HDMI device negotiates with the TV, the source ends up sending "stereo" instead of 5.1 (or whatever else). Thus, even if the TV wanted to output 5.1 on the digital audio output, it couldn't...

This negotiation for capabilities is one of the issues with HDMI distribution, and one of the reasons why some new TVs are including codecs for DTS (and DTS-MA, DD+, etc.) - even if the TV has only 2 speakers...

So, short answer, if you want 5.1 to your receiver, send the HDMI signal there first (on its way to the TV), or run a digital audio cable separately.

Jeff

·
Registered
10,866 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorerobt /forum/post/20873795

On my Samsung LCD, there is 5.1 DD on Optical Out when you are using the TV's OTA Tuner.

Yes, that's true of most sets with OTA tuners, since the tuner provides the DD5.1 source. (one of those interesting 'standards' quirks - OTA tuner chips have DD5.1 to 2.0 downmix capability for the TV speakers) It's when you receive a signal from an HDMI source that the problem occurs - because the TV requests a 2-channel mix via HDMI.

Jeff

1 - 4 of 4 Posts