AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to pick a 27" TV. I was looking at SDTV analog tubes at lunch and I just wasn't impressed by any of them. The Zenith 27" HDTV next to them looked really good however. So, which of these is a better 27" TV? I have no desire to watch movies on it as I'm getting a LCD projector for serious movie viewing. This is more for casual TV watching and the like (and yes the grainy/coarseness on the SDTV analog 27" sets would annoy me that much that I "need" a HDTV model).

Stereodude

·
Registered
92 Posts
Neither..check out my reply to your other posts on this subject...I recommend a higher level 27" Samsung..you won't regret it.

·
Registered
15,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Only upgrades on that model is better audio than 2 tuner pip from the 97, which only ads 3:2 pulldown from the 96. I would think they should pretty much all look the same.

Stereodude

·
Registered
92 Posts
Not really.

Neo (top of the line 98) offers:

3D Y/C Digital comb filter: makes all the diff in the world, especially when playing older cable signals.

3:2 pulldown: 97 has this as well, 96 does not

Subwoofer: only important if you don't plan to hook up to receiver...and being mine was for home office I appreciated having the sub..and it sounds great. Much more clear than the Sony.

2 Tuner PIP: neither the 96 or the 97 have this feature

So I will stick with my original comment. Neither. The 98 is superior. But I was looking for the best 27" that I could keep for years and be satisfied with. The 97 and 96 from Samsung are of course great too. :)

·
Registered
15,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've seen the "3D Y/C Digital Comb Filter" listed for all 3 models myself. My understanding of comb filters and digital TVs leads me to believe that they all must be digital. The difference between a 3D Y/C and a standard 3 Line digital Y/C is pretty subtle from what I've read.

At best the difference between the two is
Quote:
A 3D Y/C (also known as 3D Digital Comb Filter) is the best type of comb filter available today. In addition to separating the Y (black and white) and C (color) elements of a video signal, a 3D Y/C filter performs two additional key functions. While comparing three consecutive horizontal scan lines within a single video frame, it also analyzes each frame in advance, ensuring the best possible picture.

A 3-Line Digital Comb Filter separates the Y and C signals while simultaneously processing three consecutive horizontal scan lines. This type of comb filter does not pre-analyze individual video frames.
Stereodude

·
Registered
92 Posts
Actually,

the two lower end models, the Premiere and Director series offer 3 line comb filters...however only the Neo offers the 3D Y/C Digital filter.

This may seem small, but I saw the difference. The other Samsungs were nice..but not stellar...but when I saw the 98, I knew it was something special. But that is just my opinion. Just like sometimes I don't hear the difference between two receivers that some people do. :)

Good luck on your purchase!

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
If you just wanted to go a notch above SDTV, I don't see the point in getting the 98/Neo. In any case, I couldn't justify spending that much on a 27".

·
Registered
35 Posts
Would you buy this Samsung TXM2796HF for $663 or save money and go with the Sony Wega KV27100 for $499 for a TV for my bedroom. I watch a few hours or shows there a week since I hooked up another TIVO with my old exicting RCA. I want S-video. I don't have that on my old set. I know the Samsung is a HDTV moitor which is a plus, but it the picture much better for regular DirecTv viewing?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Noah
If you just wanted to go a notch above SDTV, I don't see the point in getting the 98/Neo. In any case, I couldn't justify spending that much on a 27".
The neo goes for ~749 (j and r here in NY), and for the price.. there really isn't any other 27" HDTV that can touch that price/features at this point..

Ofcourse, I could be completely wrong and I eagerly envite you to correct me ;)

·
Registered
15,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
FYI I bought the Samsung and returned it 3 days later. The set I got had a convergence problem. The reds fringed on the left and right sides of the monitor. The display model in the store did not do it however.

Stereodude

·
Registered
11 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Stereodude
FYI I bought the Samsung and returned it 3 days later. The set I got had a convergence problem. The reds fringed on the left and right sides of the monitor. The display model in the store did not do it however.

Stereodude
So watcha get instead? :confused:

·
Registered
2 Posts
just purchased the 27" inch zenith from circuit city for $699. so far i am pleased. x-box hdtv compatible games look better then my sony 61" hi-scan hdtv. the line douber does a decent job when using the 480i for dvds out of the xbox. i looked at the samsumg, but there were too many problems reported here and elsewhere. waiting for my sony dtivo to arrive for final opinion.

·
Registered
15,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Raph
So watcha get instead? :confused:
Nothing.

I ordered a 20.1" Dell LCD flat panel monitor for my PC instead.

Stereodude

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.