AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I have been watching a 19" TV for years and I am finally going to buy something decent to replace it. I do not have a fantastic stereo system with surround sound speakers (although I do plan to upgrade my tuner before long), and my current DVD player is a Mintek DVD-2110 (don't laugh -- it was a gift).

I have a Circuit City gift card that would enable me to get the Samsung for $30 less than going to Sam's Club for the Philips.

Can I get a few opinions on which of these two models is better along with explanations why?

Also, I have been reading that progressive scan is the way to go, but if I don't have a progressive scan DVD player, does it really matter?

Further recommendations or suggestions regarding upgrades for the DVD player and tuner would be wonderful, especially if they are cost-conscious.

Thanks for any and all help...from a newbie.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Hello,

I also was in your position. I had a 19" TV and wanted to upgrade and had my eye on a 30" direct view for quite awhile (actually I've wanted a widescreen 28" ever since I stumbled upon the Philips UK webiste about 8 years ago). Anyway, I just recently bought the 30PW850H from Best Buy. For me it was deciding between the same units you listed. Both sets are very close in features, but I chose the Philips because my 19" was Philips and I was very happy with it. Also, until the 27th of September, when you buy the Philips at Best Buy, there is a rebate for a free matching TV stand. You really can't go wrong with either set, mostly just personal preference. I must note that the Samsung lacks a rear S-Video which I needed for my game consoles. Also, I think the Philips has a few more screen format settings such as 4:3, widescreen, etc. But like I said they are very close in features, eg. both have a progressive mode for analog signals. But as for your DVD, I have a progressive scan Sanyo that looks amazing. Then I decided to see what my PS2 could do with a DVD. I hooked it up with S-Video and to my suprise, it look quite good (the progressive line doubling made up for the lack of progressive output on the PS2). Just make sure you set your player to a 16:9 TV. Well, good luck with your purchase.

Ryan

·
Registered
217 Posts
I work at best buy and deal with both of these sets every day. I also own the TXM3096WHF. The philips is awful. The power button never worked on the set we have, and we have almost a 1 in 3 return rate on them. The user interface is horrid and ugly, and the set just has a feeling of "cheapness". The samsung is not without it's flaws either. Mine has a particular issue when viewing stations broadcasting a 4:3 image in 1080i. The black bars kind of dance with the brightness of the screen. The bend and bow at whim. It's annoying, but it's not a deal breaker. The TV also has a particular quirk called "overscan bounce" where the screen kind of bounces when it gets bright, and shrinks when it gets dark. I almost never notice it unless I'm in a guide or a THX optimization disk. The set's geometry is pretty bad out of the box, but that is a common problem. You can fix it in 10 minutes, easy.

Of the two I say get the samsung, or save your money and get a sony/toshiba. I'd pass on the philips, it's not very good.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
BostonT,

I have a question for you. When your set is receiving 480p material, are you able to adjust the format of the picture? The reason that I ask is on my Philips, when it is receiving 480P, it is locked into widescreen mode so that when I play a 4:3 movie on my dvd player, the screen is streched. I am still deciding whether or not to keep this set as I just purchased it on the 19th. Other than that, I have been happy with the set but I do know what you mean when you say the menus suck. They sucked on my old Philips and on all other Philips that I have used. I think that they need to hire someone to design a newer gui interface for the menus.

Ryan

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
That blows. I wonder why they do that? Other than that, how do you like your samsung? How well does it display analog cable material? Any other quirks or weird things you have found with it? Thanks for your input.

Ryan

·
Registered
1 Posts
Why aren't you considering the sony kv30xbr910? It allows changing format for 480p, allows twin view with component video input. Aside from that I think it has a fantastic picture and the feature set is great. I think this set rocks.

It's available at circuit city too.

thanks,

-younglv

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
well the reason that I chose the Philips was mainly price. I got the philips from Best Buy for 999 and it came with a free leather chair (one that I almost bought two weeks ago for 200), a free matching philips tv stand, and you had the option for 24 months no intrest financing. Some on this forum might not really care for price, but when you are a full time college student paying for your college completely by your self (no loans), money is a very prominent concern. I would love to be able to spend 2 grand for the sony as i would imagine that it has an awesome picture as all sony's do. The philips has in my eyes an outstanding picture as well. The geometry out of the box is spot on perfect. On the downside of things, as i mentioned, you cannot change aspect ratio when displaying a 480p signal, and some of the preset color settings have way way to much color. So considering that i got a 200 dollar chair, a 250 buck tv stand and a 1000 dollar tv for 1000 bucks, it was a pretty outstanding deal.

Ryan

·
Registered
217 Posts
I'm in college too, the main reason I went with the samsung over the sony :) . I used my graduation money to buy it. $1899 for a TV is just too much for people working part time at a ****** job :) .

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Amen about the ****** job :) Isn't it funny how when you could use money for all the cool techno gizmos you don't have it and after people have worked a lifetime and have money, they don't care for new stuff anymore. Kinda like how young people drive fast everywhere they go but have the rest of their life ahead, but then old people who don't have much time left drive really slow. Oh well.

·
Registered
217 Posts
The worst is having a great discount on stuff I can't afford to buy until I find another job.

Sigh the $3300 off the 503cmx is so tempting :D .

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Yeah, I work at a Wal-Mart and have get 10% off normally, but in the fall we get a coupon for 20% off of one item. There is a really nice Sanyo 32" HDTV (4:3) that has an absolutely amazing picture. We have an echostar satalite feed with 1080i going to it and it is so clear. With the 20% off it would only be 560 bucks so I am still comtemplating that buy. I just know in the back of my head that widescreen is definitly the way of the future, but for half the price of my Philips, it may be the better choice. BTW, that set gives you aspect control in every mode, even 1080i and 480p. Here is a link to the set.

http://www.sanyo.com/entertainment/t...?productID=743

Any thoughts?

Ryan

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Ryan,

Many DVD players have a setting that allows the DVD player to automatically change the aspect ratio (to 4x3 when this is the correct ratio) even though the output is to a 16x9 screen shape. You might want to search through the video menus and see if yours does.

This won't help you when discs are widescreen and NOT widescreen enhanced, but it will help on 4x3 material. The other option is, of course, to feed it a non-progressive signal and let the set do its thing. You might find that it looks better that way anyhow--I have had this experience with a Toshiba 34" HD set and a few DVD players. In other words, the picture was better NON-progressive to the TV.

Brian

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thank you, everyone, for your input.

unfortunately, i don't feel like i'm any closer to a decision than i was before posting. it seems like both of these sets have their disadvantages, and it is hard to determine which are going to be the most troublesome for me in my future use.

the Toshiba sounds like a good idea (we boycott Sony products at our house), but our Circuit City doesn't have a Toshiba widescreen in the size range i'm looking at. they did say they could order anything on their website but not in the store, so i'll double-check there again.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Check out a local Sears for the Toshiba 30" TV. Or you can order through Crutchfield, who sell for the same price.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello,

I just received my Philips 30PW850H yesterday, and had Bright House out today to hook up a Pace HD box, so I'll give you a review of how I feel about it so far. All I can say is...WOW!!! One of the best investments I've ever made! I just got done watching "Threat Matrix" in HD and it looked awesome, I'm watching some bug show on Discovery now and it is by far the clearest images I've ever seen in my whole life. I even found myself forgetting I was even watching TV at once point, it felt like I was in a helicopter looking out the window actually there in the wilderness. Granted I've only had the set for one day, but I have yet to find anything I don't like about it. I just wish there was more HD programming out there! :-(

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
yeah, I would enjoy this set even more if there were more HD broadcasts and more games that support progressive widescreen options. But this set still looks amazing even with an analog input that is converted to either progressive or 1050i. I have decided to keep my set even though it doesn't allow to switch formats in progressive mode. I figured that as time went on, more and more progressive material will also have a widescreen mode (mainly games). If you are a gamer, check out hdgames.net for a good list.

Ryan

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Hey Boston,

I just wanted to let you know that my Philips does the same dance thing with the vertical edge to the picture. Since I work with tv's all the time, i see that almost every tv where you can see the edge of the picture, the edges dance. I have no clue why they would do that but you are not alone with the dancing vertical edges.

Anybody have a set that doesn't do this?

Ryan

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Big thanks again to everyone who took the time to not only read my post, but also reply with input.

A couple weeks ago, I drove an hour and a half down to a Houston-area Best Buy and went with the Philips. The drive was necessary because I ended up going with the 34" model (with permission from the Mrs., even!!!) -- the 34PW850H.

As I mentioned before, I am an AV newbie, but I've read enough of the threads on here to understand that certain sets require additional tuning (sometimes professional?) after you've got them home and connected. My father-in-law had to have his Wega tuned a couple of times, I think. So far, I absolutely love this set, but it's like trying to evaluate a Corvette when you've been driving a Corolla for the past 15 years, ya know?

If I could bother the community for a little more feedback, it would be to know whether or not I should worry about tuning this thing. Bear in mind, although the set is HD ready, that was just me planning for the future -- I do not have digital cable or anything.

Thanks again all.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
hey,

most sets should be run for a while before you have them calibrated. Doing so earlier would be wasteful. Right out of the box, the geometry on my philips (30PW850) was almost spot on. One way to check is to use a calibration dvd or a movie with the thx optimizer on is such as monster inc. Either option will allow you yourself to calibrate the set for color, brightness, etc. but you still wont be able to adjust the geometry of the set.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.