AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend is looking for advice on an inexpensive 30" HD widescreen direct-view set. Usage: 40% DVD watching, 60% cable/offair with some HD use. Are there any noticeable differences in picture quality between these two sets?

Any advice would be appreciated. Specifically--quality of Standard Def upconversion (digital artifacts? grain? distortion?)

Has anyone tweaked the set via service menu? SVM off? geometry? Is it hard to do? How much difference, etc.

Thanks,

Brian

·
Registered
814 Posts
A widescreen HDTV compared to a 4:3 HDTV is no comparison. One of the primary purposes of HDTV's is to display their native resolution, which is widescreen. Thus, the 3098 is the way to go. I guarantee you if one were to buy an HDTV today that's 4:3, they'll regret it eventually.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have the 3075 but this widescreen lacks DVI, DNIe (Similar to Philips Pixel Plus) and the 3098 can fit in tighter places. I as well as other members who bought these sets (TXN) have reported problems with CRT saturation and a weird wiremesh problem that distorts the image. The only way to fix these problems is with a service technician :( . I personally would stay away from these sets but if you feel the need, get the 3098.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Azanon: I wasn't comparing a widescreen set to a 4:3 set. Both of these sets ARE widescreen.

Raiden: Thanks for the opinion. From the information that I've seen on these sets the reports vary from what looks like reliability issues to problems with poor power supply, bad geometry, and/or graininess.

It looks like everyone is high on the new 30" Toshiba, so I will recommend it instead.

Thanks,

Brian

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.