AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is an old issue, but I thought I'd ask again just in case anyone had an idea as to the cause...

I have a samsung txp3271h. When watching 1080i programming/games in 16:9 mode, it keeps showing a strange scan-related issue. It's done this since about the second week we've had it, and we've now had it for a couple of years. So it's not stopping me from using the TV in 720p mode, but I'd still like to know why it's doing this.

Starting at the top of the screen, what appears to be a invisible scanline will appear (I know that if it's invisible then it wouldn't appear, just bear with me). This line is visible only if there is movement on the screen, and it is shown as a split in the image. The areas above the line and below the line get out of sync, with the top of the image being a split-second behind the bottom of the image. If there is no movement, you can't see it.

Here's an animated GIF to illustrate the problem. It doesn't show how the line progresses from the top down to the middle, but you get the idea.

This line that splits the image will slowly crawl down the screen, and then will disappear just a bit after it passes the halfway point (about 55% of the way down from the top of the screen). It takes roughly 75 seconds for this cycle to complete. Then it will repeat within a few minutes.

When this split appears, if you switch from 16:9 mode to 3:4 mode, the split is no longer visible. Switch back to 16:9, and it is visible again. And it will stay visible until it crawls down the screen to the same spot and disappears.

It happens only in 16:9 mode and only at 1080i. No problem at all with 480i, 480p, or 720p widescreen modes. And it happens with our cable box as well as our Xbox and Xbox 360, so it's not the signal source.

Does anyone else have any ideas? Or has anyone else ever seen this type of problem before?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm guessing that the lack of replies this time (and the last time I posted this question) means that this isn't a common problem and is, in fact, damn strange.

I was hoping a tech would see this info and say "Oh, sounds like you just need to replace that jigawatt converter".

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
I'm sorry you haven't received any help. I have never seen this before on a tv. And it sounds like you've pretty well looked at all the possibilities. I have to believe this is a hardware problem. And I have this sneaky suspicion it's probably not that hard to fix. It almost sounds like a vertical hold issue, but they don't put those controls on the outside of the chassis any more.

Best of Luck.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this is really old, but I've had pretty much the same problem with my Samsung TXP for years. In fact, I was about to cart it to Goodwill before finding this thread, since the issue has gotten progressively more frequent as the set has gotten older. In my case, it originally only impacted the 1080i signal from the xbox360, but now it also happens in any widescreen format from multiple source devices. If it was a vertical hold issue, any idea what I would do to adjust this?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.