AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
801 - 820 of 4063 Posts

·
Banned
204 Posts
Compatibility with 4k non HDR sets?

I know this is probably a stupid question, but I just have to be sure. With a 2.2 hdcp and 2.0 HDMI 4K display which does not support HDR, such as the Sony 950B, I assume it can still display UHD HDR sources such as streaming and the upcoming 4k Blu-ray disks with the Samsung K8500, just without the HDR. How will that work?

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I know this is probably a stupid question, but I just have to be sure. With a 2.2 hdcp and 2.0 HDMI 4K display which does not support HDR, such as the Sony 950B, I assume it can still display UHD HDR sources such as streaming and the upcoming 4k Blu-ray disks with the Samsung K8500, just without the HDR. How will that work?
I would venture a guess that it will play the video within the BT.709 color space without the HDR10/DolbyVision metadata. My projector is unfortunately not HDR compatible, but I fully expect the 2160p video to play without issue.

Reactions: mpgxsvcd

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Yes: It will play these sources without HDR via some sort of SDR "down conversion" (quality TBD).

·
Registered
15,351 Posts
BTW...though I plan on keeping my Oppo BDP-93 if I can, it's possible the Samsung UBD-K8500 may end up replacing it. What is the general rep for Samsung blu-ray players? I believe that when it comes to regular 1080p Blu-Ray output we reached parity on players quite a while ago, so no particular advantage for the oppo there. What about 3D, scaling or any other parameters? Should I expect any backwards step if the Samsung replaces my Oppo?

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I been using $6 ebay cables with no issues but wanna try $10 The Red and Black Gator Cables so I ordered one.

·
Registered
15,077 Posts
I been using $6 ebay cables with no issues but wanna try $10 The Red and Black Gator Cables so I ordered one.
There now are three official grades of HDMI cables:

Certified Standard Speed (Category 1) cables are guaranteed to transport 1080i and 720p signals. Short lengths often work for 1080p and sometimes for 4K UHD.
Certified High Speed (Category 2) cables are guaranteed to transport 1080p signals (and lower resolutions) and sometimes work for 4K UHD, and
Certified Premium cables which are are guaranteed to transport 4K UHD signals (and lower resolutions). They have a special HDMI-authorized "Premium" tag on them.
All are available at a variety of price points. You don't have to pay "boutique" prices to get a cable which works fine.

Unfortunately, although it was originally expected that Certified High Speed cables would be able to carry 4K UHD signals, the testing protocols turned out not to be sufficiently stringent, so some of those cables don't actually work for 4K UHD.

Of course, there also are counterfeits. Caveat Emptor.

·
Banned
34,841 Posts
To get the most out of the new UHD player this looks to be a good deal > Denon AVRS910W-R Refurbished 7.2-Channel Full 4K Ultra HD A/V Receiver with Bluetooth & Wi-Fi https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VVWXTTU/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_oSIPwbFEZDASH As always I approach refurbished products with caution, still hard to resist especially if there is nothing wrong with it and is complete.
I can't recommend a Denon factory refurb.
I bought a 4520 and it never worked right, even after sending it to Denon for repair.
Never again will I buy a refurb.

At $15 that looks expensive for one cable. But I guess it is an active cable. The cables I got from Amazon were under $2.50 each. I got six foot, passive, Aurum cables from Amazon. They have worked with all my 4K devices. Including the Roku 4 with 10 bit output.

But I was also buying several dozen HDMI cables. And there was no way I was going to pay $15 each for several dozen cables.
Amazon has its own brand apparently.
It's called "AmazonBasic."
They have both models of HDMI cables.

The prices are incredibly low (as they should be).
I paid 18 bucks for a 2-pack of 3 footers and a 2-pack of 6 footers of what they call "Latest Standard."
The specs claim: Meets HDMI 2.0 standards (4K Video at 60 Hz, 2160p, 48 bit/px color depth) that supports bandwidth up to 18Gbps and backwards compatible with earlier versions

There is now an independent certification process for cables that pass 4K HDR and lossless audio. Don't remember the name, but check the Blue Jeans Cable site for full details.
Thanx for that.

·
Premium Member
12,537 Posts
I love my 18gbps cheapo Monoprice redmere's. They are active but super small and dont take any room.

I am currently shopping fiber optic cables for a 60+' run (4k/60hz the whole length), now these are $199...

Reactions: Geronimo.USMC

·
Registered
15,077 Posts
I love my 18gbps cheapo Monoprice redmere's. They are active but super small and dont take any room.

I am currently shopping fiber optic cables for a 60+' run (4k/60hz the whole length), now these are $199...
Many people like to use Cat6 cables with appropriate signal converters. I suspect they're comparable in cost with the optical cables with appropriate signal converters, though.

·
Registered
8,466 Posts
Has there been any further word on whether these will arrive in store on launch? Lets say it comes out March 1 with the disks. Will Best-Buy have them in the stores or is it basically an online only thing?

·
Registered
360 Posts
The HDCP 2.2 passes through the main HDMI 1 output only. You can send video + audio or just video through HDMI 1. HDMI 2 can only pass audio to a receiver. No video will come out of HDMI 2 and no HDCP information is passed through that either.
Slight correction, HDMI 2 is required to use HDCP 1.4. So it's not technically "no HDCP information" it's just "no HDCP 2.2"

·
Registered
8,466 Posts
Slight correction, HDMI 2 is required to use HDCP 1.4. So it's not technically "no HDCP information" it's just "no HDCP 2.2"
I quoted something off the first page by mistake anyway and that was discussed long ago lol.

·
Premium Member
12,537 Posts
Many people like to use Cat6 cables with appropriate signal converters. I suspect they're comparable in cost with the optical cables with appropriate signal converters, though.
yep, I have been looking at the HDBaseT options too.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Here's some cheap HDMI 2.0 cables for Canadians via Amazon. I think they should be able to do the job but let me know if not (what do I know lol)

$7.99 (note some reviews say it doesn't go past 30hz)
http://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B00HH5..._rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=1887033422&pf_rd_i=mobile

$15-$20:

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B00OLBBJOK/ref=mp_s_a_1_8?qid=1453775068&sr=8-8&pi=AC_SX220_SY330_QL65&keywords=hdmi+2.0&dpPl=1&dpID=41ypFJQBM-L&ref=plSrch

·
Registered
439 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
801 - 820 of 4063 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.