AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is the thing, I need help. Nothing I try works 100% or much closer. Here is my set up situation, I have normal mode on for energy issues and want to keep it on. 2 I have gamming mode on. 3 I am hooked in to a pc with hdmi and a galaxy 670 gc 4gb vram. Also the hdmi blacks are set to low as the other setting is too washed out overall. Last I have the latest firmware update. I got the blacks and whites 75% there. You may be saying what is he talking about, well... I can get the tv where the blacks are black, but then my whites are too bright. For some time befor I tidied up the contrast I had halo effect and text was with a halo. Now I am glad to have that all fixed my blacks are good, text is good, but my whites and brights have too much glare or bloom effect. There not really too bright actually there just right, but kinda over clipping and washes out my greys that are used for shadows. I have been useing big buck bunny(too much bloom), the game driver San Francisco(to much gamma), some 4k videos(too dark) and old analog tv on dvd rips(back when bloom effect was on all metal-they are looking deep and rich with little or no bloom, but there's bloom when it originally was there to begin with), also hd photos(are ok); I use these to go back and forth to calibrate this mess. I will mention I have hooked the pc up to a ctr with little need to fix that and that was running the true stream not the hdmi low blacks setting on my samsung. Also to let you know the tv has a samsung panel. And no I am leaving the hdmi low blacks on as I can't even get the other setting to be more then muddy, it makes my tv look like it is warn out washed out all over. Any suggestions, I can post my settings I have the tv at if that would help. Come on community I know we can nip this one in the butt.

JAH BLESSINGS AND THANK YOU

·
Registered
17,932 Posts
If you are trying to "calibrate" your tv by eye, you can't. The best you can do is adjust to taste. You either need to get a calibration disk and adjust your settings to be as close to the Rec.709 standards as possible keeping in mind that you still won't be calibrating your tv, only making accurate adjustments. Or, you need to get a calibration disk, light meters, and specialized software to truly calibrate your tv.

Most people use a blu-ray player to calibrate their panels and they turn off all video processing on the blu-ray player and all video processing on the tv, keeping the pathway as "pure" as possible. You can use a PC but the output parameters are going to be different so you have to allow for those.

For specifics, I'd suggest asking your questions in the Display Calibration forum.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Just to state i am useing the avs hd 709 mp4 version, but at ends with the final resaults as I stated above.  when i did it by eye it was all around better.  not to say i prefer it over the 709, the 709 has a better outcome so far.  i just need to finish fine tuning the calibration.  take into account what I wrote and see what we can come up with.  I can also post the setting in there number form if need.  also I have left the white balance as is for now.

thank you and JAH BLESS

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

found out after talking to samsung that a factory reset wont hold to a picture reset.  if you have updated firmware and/or blown out blacks and whites a picture reset may help.  also a factory reset might be the finishing touch

·
Registered
17,932 Posts
^^^ a factory reset does just that, resets all settings back to factory. As I have stated, using the AVS HD 709 disk will, at best, adjust your settings for you depending on how far they are off from the 709 standards. Any changes you make will be removed with a factory reset in most cases.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

factory rest just resets the prior settings that the factory set.  if the program that runs on top of that is corrupted it will need a picture reset

·
Registered
17,932 Posts
Sounds like a picture reset (not a factory default reset) would require a service call then if that option is not available to the user.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts