AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a UN46B6000 (looked great in store, had great reviews). I finally got this all mounted and after a couple days of tuning and viewing, I am noticing there is significant flashlighting/clouding on the screen (see attached picture). I used a DTV channel with no signal to show the problem (looks worse in person).

My question: Is this normal?

I have about 25 more days to decide if I should keep this or exchange it for something else. If this doesn't look right (didn't notice in store) then I would exchange it for another. But if this seems normal for this LED model then I wonder if I should wait for the new 2010 models or go for something like a LN46B750 instead?

If this is normal I cannot see how this display gets decent reviews as this seems pretty bad to me. Very noticeable watching a blu-ray movie with dark scenes.

· Registered
4,324 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyshinn /forum/post/18126463

I just picked up a UN46B6000 (looked great in store, had great reviews). I finally got this all mounted and after a couple days of tuning and viewing, I am noticing there is significant flashlighting/clouding on the screen (see attached picture). I used a DTV channel with no signal to show the problem (looks worse in person).

I have about 25 more days to decide if I should keep this or exchange it for something else. If this doesn't look right (didn't notice in store) then I would exchange it for another. But if this seems normal for this LED model then I wonder if I should wait for the new 2010 models or go for something like a LN46B750 instead?

If this is normal I cannot see how this display gets decent reviews as this seems pretty bad to me. Very noticeable watching a blu-ray movie with dark scenes.

any LCD is suspected to thing kind of clouding, your set uses the Samsung panel which is why it has that problem , if it was using an A panel you would have not had this problem, C panel is the worst, everything is horrible about it

· Registered
20 Posts
I've got the UN55 version of this tv and I've got the same "clouding" going on as well. I turned on the power saving auto dim feature and it's really helped a lot. I can still see some clouding, but it's not really an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyshinn /forum/post/18126463

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonHouse /forum/post/18134559

I've got the UN55 version of this tv and I've got the same "clouding" going on as well. I turned on the power saving auto dim feature and it's really helped a lot. I can still see some clouding, but it's not really an issue.

I have been using a display calibration DVD (the AVS HD 709 AVCHD disc) in conjunction with turning down the backlight. I also found a thread where another person claim to use the included cloth and wipe from center to outer corners with a slight pressure to help the clouding.

After a couple slow moving wipes from center to the corner that had the clouding the most it actually seems to have really helped. It seems like it is evening out the backlight a bit as you do it (and you can see this too when using a little pressure).

This in conjunction with the some more tweaking to disable other dynamic contrast and dimming options makes it more tolerable. Overall I think I am just nit-picking and not used to the major differences in LCD/LED TV's vs the old CRT tube I had.

· Registered
735 Posts
The is non-uniform pressure somewhere on the side of the display which is changing the cell gap on the LCD. Take any LCD on a monitor or notebook, put a a black screen and push on it with your finger. You have just created your own "cloud". Relaxing mounting screws can help. Likewise, turn the backlight down a bit will help.

It can happen to any LCD but if its under warranty, keep complaining until you get one you like.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.