AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I posted a couple questions in the "Help me choose a LCD forum" and really haven't gotten a good response.

My dilemma is picking between the 2 Sammys and a 52" Sony KDL-52EX700. I saw the Sony in Best Buy and was hooked directly to a Blu-Ray player and it looked great. Saw the same model in Costco and the colors looked washed. Not sure if the settings were different or because the Costco one was not playing in HD.

I did compare the Sony and Samsung C7000 side by side and the Samsung had more vivid colors but not by much. The Samsung also cost $1000 more and I wasn't particularly fond of the "chicken feet" stand.

I have been considering the B8500 but need the price to drop a couple hundred more to fall into my price range. I also have an issue with the size (length) of the TV and how it will sit on the console table. The table measures 52" across and the B8500 is 52.1" across whereas the C7000 is 51" and the Sony is 49".

Not sure if the TV is going to look weird if it takes up the whole 52" or goes a little beyond the table. Here is a picture of the living room.

Also, I am going from a 37" to a 52"-55" so I'm not sure if I go to a 46" (UN46B8500) wouldn't work as well but I know at the viewing distance 8' the 52-55" would be more immersive.

Lastly, I would like to hook a USB drive directly to the TV and play .avi movies right from it. I know the Sony does have that option but not sure about the Samsungs. If anyone can help me out it would really be appreciated! Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
131 Posts
I wish I could help, but I am in same position as you, trying to decide between the UN55C7000 and the UN55B8500, I havent compared them side by side, what ive seen on the 7000 has been impressive, but flashlighting has me concerned with it being edge lit. I need to see the 8500 again before I can make a decision I think....

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickC /forum/post/18298851

I wish I could help, but I am in same position as you, trying to decide between the UN55C7000 and the UN55B8500, I havent compared them side by side, what ive seen on the 7000 has been impressive, but flashlighting has me concerned with it being edge lit. I need to see the 8500 again before I can make a decision I think....

Yep, most of the people I have been speaking with on here also have said they been in the same situation.

I couldn't compare the C7000 and B8500 side by side because BBY has the 8500 in their Magnolia section and the C7000 is in with the regular TVs. When comparing the C7000 to the EX700 the Samsung did have a more crisp color. But like I said I'm not sure if that justifies paying $1000 more. I also have had some issues with Sony electronics and this being one of their first edge lit LED it does kind of worry me. If I was to go with the Sony then I'd probably buy it from Costco to get the 4 year warranty using my AMEX. Also the EX701 from Costco does include the wireless dongle so that'll save $80 too.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I viewed the C7000 and B8500 side by side at Frys, both 46" models. I don't know what the settings were on either one, but I noticed that the C7000 was brighter and had more vibrant colors and contrast, but it suffered the same slightly washed-out blacks as any regular edge-lit model on certain dark scenes. There was a concert video playing, and in one particular scene I was able to see the power of B8500 where the quality looked amazing in direct comparison. In a very dark scene the color graduations were completely smooth all the way to black on the B, but on C you could see the gray bands and shimmering artifacts. In most other brighter scenes however the C looked better. On the other side of C7000 was B8000, and the C7000 was better than the B8000 in every way.

My take on it is that if you know exactly what you're looking for with black levels, B8500 is superior. If you just care about the overall PQ on normal viewing in a living room, take the C7000 as it will give you 3D as well. Another option is to wait for the C8000 as the MSRP is only $200 more than the C7000, and by the time it comes out it will probably push the price of the C7000 down.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pando /forum/post/18299131

I viewed the C7000 and B8500 side by side at Frys, both 46" models. I don't know what the settings were on either one, but I noticed that the C7000 was brighter and had more vibrant colors and contrast, but it suffered the same slightly washed-out blacks as any regular edge-lit model on certain dark scenes. There was a concert video playing, and in one particular scene I was able to see the power of B8500 where the quality looked amazing in direct comparison. In a very dark scene the color graduations were completely smooth all the way to black on the B, but on C you could see the gray bands and shimmering artifacts. In most other brighter scenes however the C looked better. On the other side of C7000 was B8000, and the C7000 was better than the B8000 in every way.

My take on it is that if you know exactly what you're looking for with black levels, B8500 is superior. If you just care about the overall PQ on normal viewing in a living room, take the C7000 as it will give you 3D as well. Another option is to wait for the C8000 as the MSRP is only $200 more than the C7000, and by the time it comes out it will probably push the price of the C7000 down.

Thanks for the reply!! I was just talking about that with someone (C7000 to C8000) and was wondering what the basic differences between the two are. I know the C8000 comes out in April and I am able to wait that long.

·
Registered
166 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkoholik /forum/post/18299219

Thanks for the reply!! I was just talking about that with someone (C7000 to C8000) and was wondering what the basic differences between the two are. I know the C8000 comes out in April and I am able to wait that long.

Full specs are not out yet, but the C8000 is supposed to have "pinpoint dimming" that may be comparable to the local dimming on the B8500. It does that with edge-lit LEDs by using light guides with microshutters. Nobody knows yet how it actually compares to the B8500.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Im waiting for the UN55C8000 to come out, alto I almost picked up the C7000 at best buy the other day, but for the price I can wait for the C8000. I believe the C8000 has what Samsung is calling precision dimming (a mix of LED edge lighting with the control of local dimming). I really wanting to get the B8500 but I also want 3D. I would suggest for you to look into a 46'' tv as you are going from a 37'' 46'' will be a big jump.

I would have to ask if you could move those two cabinets over to fit a bigger tv. You don't have to answer as I can understand. My wife made me buy an $800 tv stand because she like the styling, we even have an $100 stainless steel trash can. For me a cheap walmart stand would do n a $5 trash can too. But I have a wife that wouldn't have it.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gagit811 /forum/post/18299534

Im waiting for the UN55C8000 to come out, alto I almost picked up the C7000 at best buy the other day, but for the price I can wait for the C8000. I believe the C8000 has what Samsung is calling precision dimming (a mix of LED edge lighting with the control of local dimming). I really wanting to get the B8500 but I also want 3D. I would suggest for you to look into a 46'' tv as you are going from a 37'' 46'' will be a big jump.

I would have to ask if you could move those two cabinets over to fit a bigger tv. You don't have to answer as I can understand. My wife made me buy an $800 tv stand because she like the styling, we even have an $100 stainless steel trash can. For me a cheap walmart stand would do n a $5 trash can too. But I have a wife that wouldn't have it.

3D isn't really a HUGE factor for me. It would be cool to have people over for the Super Bowl and such as a wow factor but otherwise its really not that important.

I was guessing that we would see a big difference going from 37 to 46". However, I felt that at the viewing distance (8 feet) a larger TV would be more effective hence why I'm considering the 52-55".

I can move the stands as they aren't attached but they were designed to be close to the console table. Moving them an inch or two probably wont be an issue but anything more then that will probably look awkward.

·
Registered
8,500 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkoholik /forum/post/18298913

Yep, most of the people I have been speaking with on here also have said they been in the same situation.

I couldn't compare the C7000 and B8500 side by side because BBY has the 8500 in their Magnolia section and the C7000 is in with the regular TVs. When comparing the C7000 to the EX700 the Samsung did have a more crisp color. But like I said I'm not sure if that justifies paying $1000 more. I also have had some issues with Sony electronics and this being one of their first edge lit LED it does kind of worry me. If I was to go with the Sony then I'd probably buy it from Costco to get the 4 year warranty using my AMEX. Also the EX701 from Costco does include the wireless dongle so that'll save $80 too.

How do you get 4 years with AMEX at Costco? Everything I have read is that Costco adds one year to the one year manufacturers warranty, and that AMEX adds one year to those 2 years, for a total of 3 years.

Thanks In Advance

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy /forum/post/18299675

How do you get 4 years with AMEX at Costco? Everything I have read is that Costco adds one year to the one year manufacturers warranty, and that AMEX adds one year to those 2 years, for a total of 3 years.

Thanks In Advance

Oops typo was supposed to read 3 years.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I would go 55" at your viewing distance. THe B8500, C7000 or C8000 are all going to be a great upgrade from what you have now. If you have to have it today, I would jump on the C7000. There is some great pricing out there. Otherwise, I would wait for the C8000, but expect to pay more. I need a bigger set (14" viewing distance), so I'm waiting for the 65C8000. After watching Avatar, I'm sold on 3D. I notice a lot of the new movies coming out are in 3D, too. That is why the B8500 would be last on my list even though it offers a great picture. I don't want any regrets a year down the road.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Mike /forum/post/18299831

I would go 55" at your viewing distance. THe B8500, C7000 or C8000 are all going to be a great upgrade from what you have now. If you have to have it today, I would jump on the C7000. There is some great pricing out there. Otherwise, I would wait for the C8000, but expect to pay more. I need a bigger set (14" viewing distance), so I'm waiting for the 65C8000. After watching Avatar, I'm sold on 3D. I notice a lot of the new movies coming out are in 3D, too. That is why the B8500 would be last on my list even though it offers a great picture. I don't want any regrets a year down the road.

Nope, don't need it right now. Been reading the reviews here and looking in the stores to see what I like. I figured that 55" would be perfect for our viewing which was why I was hesitant on going smaller (46").

I saw last weekend there was some aggressive pricing on the C7000 which almost got me but I still had not seen the Sony.

I also got some coupons in the mail yesterday from BBY which are valid from today to the 15th for 10% off Magnolia stuff and also another for 10% off in store. The price is still a little bit higher then that weekend sale but not bad for an in store purchase. Plus if youre a rewards member you get $5 back for every $250 spent so that is about another $50 in pocket.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by felsi /forum/post/18300012

if 3D isn't important for you why don't you consider the C6500?

Its not important but if I was going to go that route I'd probably go with the B8500 over the C6500.

·
Registered
164 Posts
First impressions say the C6500 is near the same in PQ/blacklevel as the C7000 except 3D. and it seems that the C7000 is much better than the B8500.

·
Registered
22 Posts
So I was trying to decide on this also.... 55b8500 vs the 55c7000....Being a perfectionist, I just couldn't get myself to choose the c7000 over the b8500. On the one hand I always like having cutting edge stuff and the c7000 is certainly that. With that said, I really don't care about 3d too much at this point. I tend to have people over a lot and I'm not going to spend $100+ per pair and get 3-5 pairs for guest to be able to watch. After reading some early impressions of the c7000 I couldn't help but think that it would be close to impossible for it to end up having BETTER picture quality then the 8500. If you really want to have the latest and greatest I would wait for the c8000. Although I think many people doubt that even that set will top the b8500. I was able to get the 8500 for the same price as the c7000 so I went ahead and pulled the trigger. Ultimately you need to decided if you really need 3d, and if you're willing to wait for the c8000. I need to have this set up by April 1st so I didn't wait, but I have a feeling I won't be disappointed when this monster arrives.

I know we can't talk about specific prices here, but give some authorized online dealers some calls I have a feeling some people would be surprised at the prices you can get the 8500 for now, may be hard to justify an unproven 2010 set for the same prices as this if you need it soon..

·
Registered
181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by felsi /forum/post/18300359

First impressions say the C6500 is near the same in PQ/blacklevel as the C7000 except 3D. and it seems that the C7000 is much better than the B8500.

Where did you get this information? I think anyone who believes that any of these 2010 Samsung edge lit LED tvs are going to have a better picture quality than the b8500 are going to be sorely disappointed.

The 2010 only Samsung tv that had a chance to compete against the b8500 would have been the c8000 with the pinpoint dimming. However, the c9000 which should be the higher end 2010 tv doesn't even have that feature. What would cause Samsung to remove a feature on their flagship if it really was that great?

To answer the ops question I believe the best way to go would be looking at any or all full array local dimming led tvs over any of the edge lit tvs.

·
Registered
8,500 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeVeLs /forum/post/18300608

So I was trying to decide on this also.... 55b8500 vs the 55c7000....Being a perfectionist, I just couldn't get myself to choose the c7000 over the b8500. On the one hand I always like having cutting edge stuff and the c7000 is certainly that. With that said, I really don't care about 3d too much at this point. I tend to have people over a lot and I'm not going to spend $100+ per pair and get 3-5 pairs for guest to be able to watch. After reading some early impressions of the c7000 I couldn't help but think that it would be close to impossible for it to end up having BETTER picture quality then the 8500. If you really want to have the latest and greatest I would wait for the c8000. Although I think many people doubt that even that set will top the b8500. I was able to get the 8500 for the same price as the c7000 so I went ahead and pulled the trigger. Ultimately you need to decided if you really need 3d, and if you're willing to wait for the c8000. I need to have this set up by April 1st so I didn't wait, but I have a feeling I won't be disappointed when this monster arrives.

I know we can't talk about specific prices here, but give some authorized online dealers some calls I have a feeling some people would be surprised at the prices you can get the 8500 for now, may be hard to justify an unproven 2010 set for the same prices as this if you need it soon..

Since you have people over a lot to watch TV, seems like viewing angle would be very important for you.

These models had the widest viewing angle:

1) LG 55LH90

2) Toshiba 55ZV650U

3) Vizio VF550M

4) LG 55LH40

I wish I had test data on the Vizio 551/552 as it is a lot of TV for the price. The LG 55LH90 is a tried-and-true product and may still be available for a very good price considering what it was selling for before the new models started to come out.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsianStyle /forum/post/18300663

Where did you get this information? I think anyone who believes that any of these 2010 Samsung edge lit LED tvs are going to have a better picture quality than the b8500 are going to be sorely disappointed.

The 2010 only Samsung tv that had a chance to compete against the b8500 would have been the c8000 with the pinpoint dimming. However, the c9000 which should be the higher end 2010 tv doesn't even have that feature. What would cause Samsung to remove a feature on their flagship if it really was that great?

To answer the ops question I believe the best way to go would be looking at any or all full array local dimming led tvs over any of the edge lit tvs.

I believe samsung removed local dimming from 2010 because they are trying to go as slim as they can. LG has a patent on slim local dimming. I don't know the exact details but when you have all those led lights behind you can only get so slim. Samsungs new Precision Dimming is suppost the be the best of both worlds. I would also assume it would make the set cheaper to produce as less leds are used. The C9000 whole thing is how slim it is and the remote, Im sure the PQ will be good but for 6k I will pass.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I don't have people over a lot to watch TV - just my wife an myself. I do tend to host super bowl parties though.

I guess this is what we are coming down to

C7000 vs B8500 - 8500 is better overall but isn't 3D. The C7000 is future proof and can be found at a cheaper price.

C8000 vs B8500 - PQ yet to be seen on the C8000 and the price will be comparable to the 8500.

The C9000 has a MSRP in the $7000 range. No thanks

I saw the LG and do not like the styling at all on it.

1 - 20 of 99 Posts