AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm new here and need some help/advice with my Samsung UN55C7000 LED TV. Before I begin, I want to thank you all for these awesome forums, I'm glad to see people helping others.

Ok, onto my LED....as the title states, this is my second set, I sent the first one back, because I couldn't get rid of the terrible ghosting, even after doing a firmware upgrade. After I got the second set, the one I currently have, I upgraded the firmware right away, but I still have ghosting issues; I should mention, I'm using the glasses that came with the Shrek movies; anyway, I've been playing with the "view point" and it gives me two results, one, I get rid of ghosting on closer objects, but those in the background ghost like there's no tomorrow and the other way around. I can't never get a clear picture. The "Optimize" option doesn't do jack, I can't see a difference whatsoever.

The worst of all my 3D experiments so far was with comcast's free 3D movies, the Wild Safari 3D, wow, I got ghosting on both sides! I could not fix it at all; by both sides I mean, the person on the screen had edges sticking out on both left and right, how could I fix it? Anyway, as I said before, this is my second set, so I'm starting to think that either, I'm not doing something right, the glasses are deffective or the c7000 simply does not do its job when it comes to 3D content.

I have used a Samsung 3D bluray player and a PS3 to test the Shrek movies, both gave me the same result. For the Comcast media, I used HDMI 1.3 and 1.4 cables, same result.

I honestly don't know what to do at this point. I love the 2D picture quality of this TV set, but I'm extremely dissapointed with the 3D. I still have 10 days to return it, after that, I'll be stuck with it and in the hands of Samsung's customer service. So, as you can see/read, I need some good advice on how to fix, if possible, the 3D problems I'm having.

I'd truly appreciate any advice you can give me. Thank you in advance. Take care.

·
Registered
172 Posts
That sucks you're having so many problems, I'm sorry about that. Out of curiousity, how long did you have your first set before returning it? I've had my Samsung 3D TV (plasma) since the end of October, and I do remember that when I first got it I had a lot of ghosting issues. I'm no expert so this is just opinion, but I do believe there's a definite break-in period before the 3D is looking as it normally should. That 10-day return policy is unfortunate. I'd say maybe within a month or so the ghosting was seriously reduced, and now there's no ghosting whatsoever. I keep the 3D View Point between +1 and +3 normally, sometimes (with Coraline) I bumped it up to +5, still no ghosting.

Although this probably isn't something you want to hear, from what I've gathered 3D is the best on Plasma screens, it seems ghosting and crosstalk are pretty prevalent across all LCDs.

Wish I could provide a more definite answer, but that's been my personal experience. Maybe if more people reply back to this, we'll see if there really is a break-in period to be considered.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
I have the same tv but the 8000 series. Crosstalk (ghosting) is prevalent in dark scenes but lighter scenes are breathtaking! It's not a deal breaker for me but agree the -5 to +5 adjustments only either clear the background or forefront areas. I've found the the front rarely ghosts but dark backgrounds can blur badly. I think it is both the LCD 3D and settings. I have read about great success with some adjusting on the 8000. I have yet to find these "adjustments" but still the 3D is an excellent experience IMO.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I have the UN46C7000, and I do see some crosstalk in high contrast areas but not enough for it to be a deal breaker. I didn't notice any significant crosstalk while watching Shrek 1 on blu-ray using pretty much the default settings. The IMAX space station blu-ray shows more crosstalk but that incorporates a lot of high contrast scenes, and some is not crosstalk but appears to be real ghosting caused by differences in focus for the two cameras.

You may want to try turning your backlight down if you are seeing high contrast crosstalk.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. As to your question bandit, I had the first set for about a week, the second I've had for about 2 weeks now. I bought them from Amazon, so the return policiy is pretty much 30 days. I'm going to try lowering the backlight as some have suggested and see how it goes.

Also, I tried Africa Adventure 3D, same results. Terrible ghosting. Btw, I did think of buying a plasma TV, but I play a lot of video games, some which have HUDs and I've heard that plasmas aren't the greatest for video games? image burn I guess. Anyway, that was the main reason for getting a LED.

Anyway, I'll try calling Samsung again today and see if I can get through. Yesterday, was kinda funny, their call center was asking customers to call again later due to bad weather? ha!

Thanks guys. I'll let you know how it goes.

Could it be the glasses? I'm just curious. I haven't used them much, so I know the batteries are pretty much new.

·
Registered
172 Posts
It's true that Plasmas used to be bad about burn in. I'm a gamer myself. I've noticed that HUD screens do sometimes linger after the game is turned off, but its gone after a while. And they've included something that can expedite that, in the Picture options there's a scrolling option" which scrolls 2-3 gradient from black-white bars across the screen as long as you let it run to "wipe" it. So if that's something that's holding you back in considering plasma, I wouldn't worry about it. From what I've gathered 3D is best on DLP and next best on Plasma, but DLP is kind of starting to fall off I think.

Unfortunately probably not the glasses.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey again guys. Sooo, last night I played around with the picture settings by following tweaktv.com's recommended calibrations. I got rid of the terrible ghosting and the picture was surprinsily good. The 3D effect was not as deep/protruding as before, but it was decent. Anyway, I tried Africa Adventure 3D and the ghosting was about 95% gone, so, needless to say, I was very happy with the results....BUT and this is a "BIG BUT"....this morning, the ghosting was back!!! lmao!! how is this even possible?? I had done nothing different from last night, I left all the settings in, yet, the 3D looked simply awful. Ghosting on both sides, simply terrible, I even think it was actually worse than before. The Shrek movie looked terrible and don't even get me started with the Africa movie.

Can anybody explain this to me? Because I'm blown away by this. I can't understand how this is even possible. Does 3D need time to warm up or something? I mean, wow, just wow.

Anyway, you guys probably know a lot more than I do about this sort of thing, so I need your opinion. Could this be a sign of a deffective set? It is my second set, the same brand, same model.

Thank you all once again for taking the time to read about my frustrations with this set and a million thanks for all your help.

Take Care.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Several posters have mentioned that after LCD 3-D sets warm up, the ghosting is less pronounced. I guess there is something to this!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Be sure to let us know how it turns out. I'm really interested since hopefully I'll be hooking up a UN46C8000 this weekend, even though i don't have a 3D compatible AVR yet. Still trying to find a model that gives the best bang for the buck for around $700 plus or minus $100. For now, I have a "loaner" BD-6500 player that I can use until my "on backorder" BD-6900 gets here later on the 21st.

Where are the specific picture settings tips that you referred to at tweaktv.com?

·
Banned
829 Posts
LED's are notorious, especially Samsung for bad ghosting and crosstalk in 3D. Google 3D LED crosstalk, it's not just you experiencing it and it's not a bad TV. I saw a Bravia at Best Buy and the crosstalk was abysmal, distracting and ruined the entire experience. The only 2010 models that do 3D well are plasma's. My recommendation is to look at the Samsung c7000/8000 plasma and the Panasonic VT25/GT25 plasma. There are some pretty good deals out on a lot of these sets and you might even save some money.

If you really enjoy LED picture than I recommend you save your money and buy a 2011 model. I don't think (at least I hope) that LED's will be plagued by crosstalk/ghosting so drastically this year. Manufacturer's would be hurting their reputation

My understanding though is that LED cannot update fast enough to keep up with the glasses. I very well may be wrong, but effectively crosstalk is where you're seeing some of what's supposed to be seen by the opposing eye.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok, weekend's over, I'm done doing tests. I started the TV on 3D off the bat. Of course, this resulted in terrible ghosting, simply awful. So I decided to let it warm up for about 10 minutes, I did this by increasing the backlight to 20 and setting the video mode to dynamic to get some bright, rich colours. Anyway, after the warm up, the ghosting was gone, but not a 100%. I did however tweaked it and got it close to 100%. I still noticed ghosting on some out of focuse objects, but not all.

duvallite: Go here http://www.tweaktv.com/tweak-my-tv/ and go to the bottom of the screen and select your tv brand, model, etc. If they don't have your specific model, select one close to it, like the inmediate higher/lower model. The settings are pretty good. I still tweaked them a bit more to my liking though.

3Dhereicome: I did think about getting a 2011 model, but I must be honest, I can't really afford their premium prices when they do come out. I got my C7000 for a great price and couldn't pass the opportunity. The 3D is a real bummer, but after tweaking it and letting it warm up, I can honestly say that I can live with it. The 2D picture on the other hand, is simply amazing, and gaming lookes awesome too. About plasma, I'd love one, specially because their refresh rate numbers are insane, but I'm a big time gamer, and I don't want to burn in images on the TV. Also, I've heard of people burning images from not running HD TV chanels or something? Anyway, at my price range, a gamer and wanting a TV right now, I don't think I can affor the best plasma has to offer or any of the newest 2011 LED models.

It's funny, with TVs, it is never good enough. Better models come out every year...same happened with my rig, I put all the latest components, dual SLI cards, etc etc...six months later, they announced DirectX 11 lmao!! but it works. Anyway, off subject now.

Thanks all for the help. I'll post later what settings I'm running my TV in for the best, at least from my end, 3D experience with the Samsung UN55C7000.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
I have 20 3d movies, from my experience 3d isn't made equally. The stuff you see ondemand is some of the worse 3d content out there. You shouldn't judge your TV on that content. I have some movies with crosstalk n ghosting and others with none. You should get some true blu-ray 3d movies then judge your TV.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Yeah I'm beginning to think that the 'LED's can't update fast enough and are not really suitable for 3D' may be an oversimplification. I watched the Tron evolution snippet on vudu yesterday and even though it is mainly high contrast stuff throughout, I didn't perceive any ghosting. For the trailer for alice in wonderland, watched straight after, I saw ghosting on the 'preview' white text on green background screen. The fact that you can remove ghosting in a lot of cases by adjusting the 3D settings, makes me think that it may be a timing issue which is exacerbated by the response times.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
Freakon...,

What Picture Mode are you using and what are your settings backlighting, brightness, contrast and sharpness for that picture mode?

The most common cause of excess ghosting on 3D LCD/LED display appears to be to high of a backlignting setting. I have reports of user's who are very pleased when the backlighting is down to 20-30%.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve P. /forum/post/19828842

Several posters have mentioned that after LCD 3-D sets warm up, the ghosting is less pronounced. I guess there is something to this!

This is absolutely true based on my two week experience.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have the UN55C7000 as well, and ghosting was terrible, as was the 3D effect - made my head cave in with stock settings. I settled on this and it's pretty good:

Mode Standard

Backlight 10

Contrast 50

Brightness 85

Sharpness 40

Color 75

Tint G50/R50

ADVANCED

Black Tone Dark

Dynamic Contrast OFF

Gamma -2

Color Space Native

Flesh Tone 0

Edge Enhancement ON

PICTURE

Color Tone Normal

Digital Noise Filter Auto

MPEG Noise Filter Auto

Auto Motion Plus Smooth

3D

3D Viewpoint -5

3D Autoview ON

3D Optimize -1

·
Registered
8 Posts
Anyway, I am really posting because Samsung has some bizarre issues. When you use VUDU, you cannot adjust any settings, they are all locked. I was watching the TRON 3D Preview, and I can tell that the 3D settings are messed up, but there is no way to adjust them. The button does nothing.

When I watch a BluRay movie, I CAN adjust everything. Why does Samsung lock me out of VUDU picture and 3D adjustments???

Derek

1 - 20 of 31 Posts