AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, let me apologize if this thread is redundant. I have been scouring the forums for days and am aware that what I am about to ask has been addressed as individual issues, but was hoping to get some of your advice on a specific comparison.

I am about to purchase either the Samsung UN55C8000 or the LG 55LE8500. My viewing space is open and deep, with primary seating 10-13 feet from the focal point. Windows line one side wall and all lighting is overhead and recessed.

So far, for me, it comes down to weighing the much talked about glare that accompanies the LG screen against the edge lit technology and all that comes with it of the Samsung. As I've read, Samsung has done a great deal to improve their edge lit technology compared to others, but the LG does have the full array w/ local dimming. Samsung though, obviously, has a better AR coating.

I understand this is subjective, but what I am wondering is if anyone has any personal experience with both models? What issues outweigh the others? Is the glare worth dealing with for the better PQ, or would you suggest accepting the adequate Samsung to avoid the troublesome glare? Basically...which one of these two would you recommend specifically?

·
Registered
7,233 Posts
I'd personally choose the Samsung. I recently bought the 55" C6400 for a secondary viewing room and it's anti-reflective features work quite well - the panel is mirror like when off but when displaying content there's rarely any, typically during all dark scenes they are more prevalent but most of the time there are none. Having been an unhappy plasma owner and hating it's 24/7 reflections and the fact my main viewing room is bright and sunny I have a matte panel in that room but I now know I could handle the Samsung C8000 in there.

While I also like the PQ of the LG I cannot stand it's strong reflective nature as it reminds me of the plasma I dumped for a loss after a week in my bright sunny room. Were I choosing I'd choose the Samsung after making my own purchase of the C6400 this past month and the C8000 has precision dimming and 3D advances over mine but I paid a lot less. I know it's crazy but the only thing I don't like about the C8000 is it's silver bezel and the only reason I haven't bought the 65" - I simply don't care for it while I know many love it.

Below is a side-by-side photo posted by flatpanelshd reviews in Scandanavia comparing the Samsung versus the LG which clearly shows the difference which I can attest to viewing them in the store where there are no windows that can make things worse.

If you read the review ignore the PVR feature - they are common on European High End Panels but N. American panels never see them I've been told because of Media Sources and Hollywood want to control licensing and the money streams and the US Courts seem to back them up so you'll rarely find them on a N. American panel- sort of like GoogleTV being strangled by most media outlets presently until they get their cut. http://www.flatpanelshd.com/review.p...&id=1277374551

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response and the link! That review was very useful. After a couple more days I did end up going with the Samsung. Should arrive in a few days and then I have to figure out the calibration!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.