Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all i just bought a Samsung 55" LED TV model UN55D6000

i bought the disney WOW calibration bluray but not sure it helped me much

so i am thinking about getting some tools for calibration

i have been reading and found someone with exact model as mine who used

Calman, Colormunki spectro, ps3 and AVSHD 709

i didnt ask for the settings he used because he told someone else sharing settings is not allowed so i wont ask

i also saw the i1display pro but seems the retail version doesnt work with 3rd party software like calman i would have to buy it direct from software vendor

does the colormunki retail also have this 3rd party software lock?

any help would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
That model is already very accurate in the color department.

For this particular set alone, I think it would be a waste of money to invest in a meter.

When in Movie mode, with the default Color Space set to "Auto", color tone set to warm 2 and with the color saturation set to the correct setting, the color reproduction is nearly perfect. (all defaults except for color saturation) The color gamut is nearly dead on to the standards, white point is nearly perfect for the D65 target, grayscale tracking is linear and nearly perfect for 6500k tracking.

If anyone says differently, then they either need their meter checked for accuracy, or got some sort of a dud set.

The WoW disc can do the rest. Set your color by putting the set in blue mode and using the test pattern built into the tv, I think its pattern #2. The color is close, but I believe it needs to be set a few ticks lower to be correct.

Brightness is nearly perfect too, I think I had to lower it 1 tick, to "44" when using the WoW disc, as well as the AVS 709 disc.

Turn your auto motion feature under options to Either "Clear" or "Custom" and turn up Blur reduction, but leave dejudder at 0. (Clear does the same thing, its just a preset).

Outside of uniformity issues, which a meter cannot help you with, you bought a pretty solid set as far as color reproduction goes. There is little room for improvement. Unless you are calibrating multiple sets, I wouldn't invest in a meter for this set.

·
Registered
132 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwolf4k /forum/post/0

That model is already very accurate in the color department.

For this particular set alone, I think it would be a waste of money to invest in a meter.

When in Movie mode, with the default Color Space set to "Auto", color tone set to warm 2 and with the color saturation set to the correct setting, the color reproduction is nearly perfect. (all defaults except for color saturation) The color gamut is nearly dead on to the standards, white point is nearly perfect for the D65 target, grayscale tracking is linear and nearly perfect for 6500k tracking.

If anyone says differently, then they either need their meter checked for accuracy, or got some sort of a dud set.

The WoW disc can do the rest. Set your color by putting the set in blue mode and using the test pattern built into the tv, I think its pattern #2. The color is close, but I believe it needs to be set a few ticks lower to be correct.

Brightness is nearly perfect too, I think I had to lower it 1 tick, to "44" when using the WoW disc, as well as the AVS 709 disc.

Turn your auto motion feature under options to Either "Clear" or "Custom" and turn up Blur reduction, but leave dejudder at 0. (Clear does the same thing, its just a preset).

Outside of uniformity issues, which a meter cannot help you with, you bought a pretty solid set as far as color reproduction goes. There is little room for improvement. Unless you are calibrating multiple sets, I wouldn't invest in a meter for this set.

I noticed some quirks when I had the color space set to auto. The red and blue channels were clipping and I couldn't correct it by lowering contrast further our the color further. I only noticed this on the test disc not actual material. When I switched to native space the clipping went away.

Also under auto I was noticing a blue push at the dark end that went away under auto.

What potential downsides a am I going to experience settings it to native over auto?

Warm 2

Brightness: 44

Contrast: 87 (had to turn down to prevent blue from clipping)

Color: 48

Tint: 50

Auto motion off (some programs stutter with it on)

Eco mode with min backlight 3 (daytime up to 12)

All auto contrast off

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for reply redwolf4k

in the house we have 2 more hdtvs and would i still not benefit from a meter

and is the colormunki photo retail version good? and not software locked like other xrite meters?

·
Banned
15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny1 /forum/post/21033002

hey guys,

just purchased the 55d6000...does anyone know the calibrated settings...im new at this stuff it would be hype if anyone could help

manny

calibration is a warranty issue. if it was not adjusted correct from the factory then its warranty issue

·
Registered
3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by garybill /forum/post/21034005

calibration is a warranty issue. if it was not adjusted correct from the factory then its warranty issue

hey thanks for the reply...so what is they hype about all this calibration...the guy at future shop is like you can get someone to come through for 150 to calibrate your tv...which i definitely did not do...he was saying that there are settings like the brightness and all that biz that can be set to make the tv look better....or i should say make the tv look the way that it is suppose to...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.