AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright well I was pretty dead set on recommending the P55ST30 for my dad who is getting a new TV. We headed to Best Buy though and he thought the Samsung looked far better than the Panasonic, where as I felt like the Samsung just had the contrast and brightness turned up making it look almost washed out. Another thing though I'm worrying about is the IR with the Panasonic being more prevalent than I had previously imagined as my dad probably won't remember to stretch 4:3 pictures or anamorphic widescreens. But the Samsung doesn't have 3D, and he doesn't seem to care but I could see him caring 5 years down the road. So what do you guys think picture quality wise and longevity wise? and do you guys really think IR will be an issue?

·
Registered
863 Posts
Can be difficult to explain to someone who does not understand "Why" - thinking of your dad - but most stores are NOT good places to judge overall PQ, esp between un-adjusted sets of different types.

That aside, where will the tv be placed:

Bright room or Light Controlled (or at least controllable)? Although we don't have a problem viewing a plasma in our fairly-bright LR, LCDs are generally considered better than plasmas in bright settings.

Will viewing be from straight on, or at an angle? Plasma will have a considerable advantage over LCD if you watch from off-center.

Frankly, would not worry about 3D at this time - but clearly many viewers do not share that opinion.

In the long run, would rather bet on reliability of the Pan Plasma over the Samsung LCD, even though overall reliability of hdtv's appears fairly high.

Then again, if most viewing will be 4:3, and there is no caution taken to avoid long-term station logos or fixed bars (such as scrolling news tickers) the LCD might still be a better choice....

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
The screen/filter on the 6000 series is quite impressive, and the blacks do look stellar for an LCD. This is still true once it is home in your house.

There is a small flash lighting issue with that model, if that matters to you. However, Samsung has some pretty cool features to combat that, such as a dynamic backlight setting that will greatly lower the backlight during dim/shadow scenes, which keeps the blacks inky to the point where the tv looks as though its turned off.

The store representation of that set is what you should expect at home.

I vote the Samsung.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.