AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased this TV last week and immediately noticed that the left side of the screen was brighter than the right, starting at the edge and tapering off about 6 inches in. It is bright enough that during movies/games that have bright scenes, it can create a "line" of brightness about an inch out and actually washes out some of the color in that area and a few inches in. If you turn the brightness up and down, you can actually see the lack of uniformity. The right looks absolutely perfect. I tried adjusting my settings based on things I have read (backlight is at 7, brightness around 40-45, all the motion crap turned off, movie mode), but it still persists. I was going to get an exchange but the store has none left in stock and I decided I would wait until they do and see what I could figure out between here and Samsung. Below is the response I got from them. My questions are: Does waiting 3 weeks like they recommend actually mean something may change in the display by then, or does this seem like a "maybe you'll get used to it" answer? and, Is there anything else that I could try that I may have missed? Thanks in advance for any ideas.

To decrease or eliminate uneven brightness on the LED TV screen, please follow the below mentioned steps

for 3 weeks and check if the issue persists:

1.Set the TV to the Standard or Movie picture mode.

2.2. Lower the backlight on the TV to 7.

3.3. Make sure the TV is well ventilated.

If the issue still persists even after following the troubleshooting steps for 3 weeks, please copy the below

link and paste it in the web browser to file an online service request to fix the issue.

·
Registered
12,748 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjr1
I purchased this TV last week and immediately noticed that the left side of the screen was brighter than the right, starting at the edge and tapering off about 6 inches in. It is bright enough that during movies/games that have bright scenes, it can create a "line" of brightness about an inch out and actually washes out some of the color in that area and a few inches in. If you turn the brightness up and down, you can actually see the lack of uniformity. The right looks absolutely perfect. I tried adjusting my settings based on things I have read (backlight is at 7, brightness around 40-45, all the motion crap turned off, movie mode), but it still persists. I was going to get an exchange but the store has none left in stock and I decided I would wait until they do and see what I could figure out between here and Samsung. Below is the response I got from them. My questions are: Does waiting 3 weeks like they recommend actually mean something may change in the display by then, or does this seem like a "maybe you'll get used to it" answer? and, Is there anything else that I could try that I may have missed? Thanks in advance for any ideas.

To decrease or eliminate uneven brightness on the LED TV screen, please follow the below mentioned steps

If the issue still persists even after following the troubleshooting steps for 3 weeks, please copy the below

link and paste it in the web browser to file an online service request to fix the issue.
Return or exchange ASAP, you shouldn't have to accept this issue.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjr1

Does samsung actually believe this 3 week deal will work or are they just trying too get you out of your return window ??

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETERNIA FOREVER /forum/post/20763794

Does samsung actually believe this 3 week deal will work or are they just trying too get you out of your return window ??

Yea, I found this to be a bit suspect. I've never owned a LED lit TV before, but i've never heard of anything that just goes away after a couple weeks. Thats why I wanted to see what people thought here. I was thinking that maybe this was something I have never heard of and the TV needed to break-in or something.

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
There is a break-in period on phosphor bases sets (crts and plasmas), not so much with LCDs or LED/LCDs. Uneven backlighting is not likely to cure itself over time, they're just hoping you'll quit noticing it so much and keep it.

The likelihood of another sample of the same set being significantly better is pretty low-if you return it for the same model and the new one is not satisfactory don't beat a dead horse, get some other set.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S /forum/post/20766125

There is a break-in period on phosphor bases sets (crts and plasmas), not so much with LCDs or LED/LCDs. Uneven backlighting is not likely to cure itself over time, they're just hoping you'll quit noticing it so much and keep it.

The likelihood of another sample of the same set being significantly better is pretty low-if you return it for the same model and the new one is not satisfactory don't beat a dead horse, get some other set.

Thanks for the input. I am always afraid of getting new displays because I am so keen to the imperfections. I have owned a few LCD displays before and uniformity has never been an issue (light leakage on the other hand..), but they have not been LED lit, so I wasn't sure. It's a shame because this set looks very good without many of the other issues and I know exchanging is just rolling the dice.

·
Registered
24 Posts
If the uneven backlighting bothers you, I agree with the other commenters who recommend that you return the set. I had the same set and the flashlighting--particularly in the lower left corner--bothered me a lot, so I returned it.

This is going to be a problem with just about any *edge lit* led-lcd tv you get--it just comes with the technology. The only way to truly avoid it is to get a plasma (best for screen uniformity, viewing angles) or a full array led backlit lcd with local dimming. I went with the latter--a Sony XBR-55HX929. Unfortunately, fully backlit local dimmers tend to be significantly more expensive.

Good luck.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Based on the input here (and the lack of stock at BB) I think I am going to return this for the PN59D6500DF Plasma. Never owned a plasma before because I game alot and I was always afraid of burn-in. Plus the extra weight and energy costs have kept me away, but it seems like most of those issues are no longer relevant (energy guide says $37 a year for plasma vs $17 a year for LED). I just hope I get a quiet set, because I have heard there are buzzing issues on some and my luck had not been good so far. Thank again for all the help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.