AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll try to be short. I had ordered the Samsung UND65D8000 and was disappointed with the large bezel and then exchanged it to UN60D8000 with the slim bezel. The TV is amazing. However there was a minor amount of clouding for which they are replacing the unit. Now I have a choice to switch to Sony if I prefer and offcourse pay the difference.


Can someone please advise me which way to go. Should I keep the Samsung 60D8000 or switch to the Sony 65HX929.


Offcourse there is more of the real estate of 5 inches benefit but I will be loosing out on the slim bezel. I'm not sure how sharp will the Sony HX929 be in comparison to Samsung.


Honestly appreciate your views.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by navigates /forum/post/20885398


I'll try to be short. I had ordered the Samsung UND65D8000 and was disappointed with the large bezel and then exchanged it to UN60D8000 with the slim bezel. The TV is amazing. However there was a minor amount of clouding for which they are replacing the unit. Now I have a choice to switch to Sony if I prefer and offcourse pay the difference.


Can someone please advise me which way to go. Should I keep the Samsung 60D8000 or switch to the Sony 65HX929.


Offcourse there is more of the real estate of 5 inches benefit but I will be loosing out on the slim bezel. I'm not sure how sharp will the Sony HX929 be in comparison to Samsung.


Honestly appreciate your views.

The expectations for the Sony 65HX929 are very high. The extra 5 inches is also highly desirable.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just went to best buy and looked at the sony hx929 55. It looks very good but when I clicked on the menu. It was a downer. I don't even think the picture is as sharp when compared to the Samsung I have a home. I just wish Samsung had the slim bezel then this would not be a discussion point.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Samsung is going to replace my Tv. I can still call my retailer and switch to the sony hx929. i like the extra 5 inch of real estate but then loosing out on the slim bezel. How does the hx929 55 inch work out in comparison to the UN60D8000?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,307 Posts
The general consensus is that the Sony HX929 is the best LED set for pq currently available, pending the arrival of the uber-expensive Sharp Pro Elite models. It's a full backlit local dimming set vs edge-lit for the Sammy, and thus not nearly as prone to flashlighting and clouding.


Judging a set's pq by the appearance of the onscreen menu on a store display set is silly.


If you're more interested in a skinny bezel than picture quality stick with the Samsung, otherwise the 929's a no-brainer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
448 Posts
Steve's response is 100 percent correct in my opinion. I would hands down choose the 929 just on pure picture quality. That being said is why I also stick with plasma. But each person has there own personal preferences. So it comes down to what you prefer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33,826 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by navigates
I just went to best buy and looked at the sony hx929 55. It looks very good but when I clicked on the menu. It was a downer. I don't even think the picture is as sharp when compared to the Samsung I have a home. I just wish Samsung had the slim bezel then this would not be a discussion point.
Are you saying the menu isn't as sharp or the picture? If so, you are the first person I've ever heard of that judges PQ from the appearance of the menu...interesting & kinda weird. There are a ton of adjustments to raise the sharpness & detail. The consensus of opinion is the PQ of the Sony beats the Samsung.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,318 Posts
Samsung is hands down on the bottom of the pack this year when all performance and quality control parameters are taken into account, but I agree with the others that the Sony will undoubtedly be the best option for most consumers looking for a great display without paying a premium for something like the new Elite Tv's. If your objective is uncompromised performance though, the Elite, with all indicative information available thus far would be the choice of enthusiasts.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanaticalism
Samsung is hands down on the bottom of the pack this year when all performance and quality control parameters are taken into account, but I agree with the others that the Sony will undoubtedly be the best option for most consumers looking for a great display without paying a premium for something like the new Elite Tv's. If your objective is uncompromised performance though, the Elite, with all indicative information available thus far would be the choice of enthusiasts.
"Hands down" may be a little harsh.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim
"Hands down" may be a little harsh.
Ok, ok, I'll take that back, lol, but they certainly are not where they were 3 1/2 years ago. Samsung has not been a leader since the demise of the 8500. Unless they can develop something all on their own (instead of patent infringement) I can't see this company moving forward.


To me, Samsung is like those companies who are great at customizing technology and improving upon it, but innovation is not it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,307 Posts
Actually Samsung is usually the first or at least among the first with new tech--1st BD player, among the first with 120-240hz sets, etc. Problem is that with a very few exceptions their new stuff isn't ready for prime time until the 2nd or 3d generation. The B8500 local dimmer may have been an exception, maybe because it was stolen from another company.


They still excel at building sets that are the most eye-catching in overlit showrooms, and the thin bezel design of many of their sets is undeniably appealing. They also deserve some credit for producing so many different models that just about anyone's particular feature requirements can be met.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
902 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S /forum/post/20890293


Actually Samsung is usually the first or at least among the first with new tech--1st BD player, among the first with 120-240hz sets, etc. Problem is that with a very few exceptions their new stuff isn't ready for prime time until the 2nd or 3d generation. The B8500 local dimmer may have been an exception, maybe because it was stolen from another company.


They still excel at building sets that are the most eye-catching in overlit showrooms, and the thin bezel design of many of their sets is undeniably appealing. They also deserve some credit for producing so many different models that just about anyone's particular feature requirements can be met.

Ironically they steal it from other companies
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
89 Posts
I'd say the Sony is the way to go amongst the two.. Samsung fell off the last two years... Screen uniformity is a big issue on the samsungs since theyre edge lit... Samsung is making you pay a premium on older technology..At least you get full array local dimming on the Sony as well as 960 hz.. The big gripe though on the Sony is the blooming, the crease issue, and the offangle viewing is horrendous... As a side note, the first blu ray player was the Sony bdp-s1.. The best led though is the Elite hands down though.. If you're willing to pay for the best of course ;-) You should honestly take a look at Sharp's 835 series.. My gf picked one up recently.. I think it's a great picture and performs better than the Samsung led.. A more bang for the buck if you will...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Today I saw the sony hx929 55 inch in best buy and then compared to the results of that set with the samsung un60d8000. Honestly both the sets picture quality is very good. Samsung does look nice with the bezel. I fell in love with the bezel and am sad to make the switch. Hope the sony works out better than the samsung. I'll call and make the switch to the 65HX929 tomorrow. I'll check this board once more before I make the call in the next few hours.


I'm surprised there are more of sony likers here vs the samsung d8000.


ps: would appreciate any final comments.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,318 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by navigates /forum/post/20892111


Today I saw the sony hx929 55 inch in best buy and then compared to the results of that set with the samsung un60d8000. Honestly both the sets picture quality is very good. Samsung does look nice with the bezel. I fell in love with the bezel and am sad to make the switch. Hope the sony works out better than the samsung. I'll call and make the switch to the 65HX929 tomorrow. I'll check this board once more before I make the call in the next few hours.

I'm surprised there are more of sony likers here vs the samsung d8000.

Isn't so much "like" but objectively speaking Samsung is not worth the prices they are charging for the performance they are delivering. They are relying on marketing and aesthetics to sell displays which works for a large part of the consumer base..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I went down to frys and sonystyle and even though I've made the switch I'm still in love with the slim bezel of the samsung.


Can someone elaborate if the RS232 port behind the HX929 can be removed. Won't that cut the depth for a slim mount?

Does the Sony have the Slim mount?

Will this mount work with the TV as it has the RS232 Port?
http://www.sanus.com/ca/en/products/...ile-mount/LL11



The Sony picture quality was slightly better in my opinion but then has the usual old style bezel
 
1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top