AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody had this set professionally calibrated? Anybody have good settings to share or reference?

Here are my settings:
Movie mode
Backlight 12
Contrast 95
Brightness 45
Color 52
Sharpness 22
Advanced Settings
Dynamic Contrast - medium
BT - Off
Color Space - Auto
White Balance - 10 point
10% RGB all 0
20% RGB all 0
30% R +21 G +21 B +25
40% R +35 G +35 B +35
50% R +24 G+24 B +38
60% R +18 G +18 B +30
70% R +5 G +6 B +12
80% R +3 G +5 B +10
90% RGB all 0
100% RGB all 0

Gamma -2

Picture Options
Color Tone - Standard
DCV off
MPEG off
HDMI Black low
Auto Motion Plus - Clear
Smart LED High
Cinema Black on

Reactions: Mrorange303

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
My settings are controversial. Please don't note that.
I LIKE THE SOE.
The settings serve one purpose the super punchy 4k in store picture that made you buy this thing. I hope to post my calibration soon. Maybe.

These are some great daytime settings. I use them all the time.

Picture mode: Standard
Backlight: 18 - 20
Contrast: 97
Brightness: 46
Sharpness: 50
I believe we bought a 4k set. Don't turndown that beautiful detail. No need to. Promise. Keep going.
Color: 50
Tint g48/r52. Or 50/50.

Dynamic contrast - high

Black tone - off
Flesh 0
Color space - native for aggressive color, (auto for natural colors)

White balance: I use the ones listed in the post above if Im in movie mode. Standard mode I use shipped settings.
Gamma: +1 or +2.
Yes gamma is off on a meter. But it passes the eye test.
Motion lighting - off
Color tone - standard
Digital clean auto
MPEG noise filter auto
Uhd color: on
Auto motion plus - custom
Blur reduction - 10
Judder reduction - 7
LED clear motion off
Smart LED - high
Cinema black - on

This is what I have for now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
need help with calibration for a Samsung 55" 120HZ Ultra HD 4K LED Television.
would like to try and get the best picture possible please. model:hu9000

·
Registered
18,404 Posts
need help with calibration for a Samsung 55" 120HZ Ultra HD 4K LED Television.
would like to try and get the best picture possible please. model:hu9000
If you're serious about calibrating your tv then find a professional calibrator in your area who has experience with the HU9000. Borrowing some else's settings is not calibrating your tv. All you're doing is adjusting your tv to their tv without taking into consideration component tolerance differences, viewing environment, etc. Sometimes it works, quite often it's less that satisfactory. You can use a calibration disk like the free AVS HD709 disk or a commercial one like WoW, Spears & Munsil, etc. You still won't be calibrating your tv (for that you need a light meter and special software) but you will be adjusting it as best you can using rec.709 patterns. That may be all you need.

·
Registered
1 Posts
New here - just got this tv last night and I am a little disappointed in the picture clarity I am getting from my Dish Network receiver.

Where would you find a professional to come calibrate your tv? I have never heard of that but I also live in a small town.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
New here - just got this tv last night and I am a little disappointed in the picture clarity I am getting from my Dish Network receiver.

Where would you find a professional to come calibrate your tv? I have never heard of that but I also live in a small town.
You may need to get into it yourself. YouTube has lots of good info.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,
my question is little different. online, i could see different models of Samsung UN65HU9000 like AU/CA model and USA model. which one is reliable? the AU/CA models are cheaper but is it good to buy? not a techie, so need some help.

Thanks,

·
Registered
339 Posts
I believe we bought a 4k set. Don't turndown that beautiful detail. No need to. Promise.
I do not believe that is turning down the detail. From my knowledge, and correct my if I am wrong, the sharpness setting is an artificial sharpener which was created back in the day in order to sharpen analog signals which lost detail when they were received. Now pretty much everything is digital and the sharpness setting is unnecessary. The detail you speak of is actually just modifying and adding artifacts to an already UHD/1080p picture. The detail is already there.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
I believe we bought a 4k set. Don't turndown that beautiful detail. No need to. Promise.
I do not believe that is turning down the detail. From my knowledge, and correct my if I am wrong, the sharpness setting is an artificial sharpener which was created back in the day in order to sharpen analog signals which lost detail when they were received. Now pretty much everything is digital and the sharpness setting is unnecessary. The detail you speak of is actually just modifying and adding artifacts to an already UHD/1080p picture. The detail is already there.
No. instead of using darbee or iscan or madvr use the sets ability. Period.

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ISF Calibration

Has anybody gotten an ISF Calibration? Was/is it worth doing on this set?

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My settings are controversial. Please don't note that.
I LIKE THE SOE.
The settings serve one purpose the super punchy 4k in store picture that made you buy this thing. I hope to post my calibration soon. Maybe.

These are some great daytime settings. I use them all the time.

Picture mode: Standard
Backlight: 18 - 20
Contrast: 97
Sharpness: 50
I believe we bought a 4k set. Don't turndown that beautiful detail. No need to. Promise. Keep going.
Color: 50
Tint g48/r52. Or 50/50.

Dynamic contrast - high

Black tone - off
Flesh 0
Color space - native for aggressive color, (auto for natural colors)

White balance: I use the ones listed in the post above if Im in movie mode. Standard mode I use shipped settings.
Gamma: +1 or +2.
Yes gamma is off on a meter. But it passes the eye test.
Motion lighting - off
Color tone - standard
Digital clean auto
MPEG noise filter auto
Uhd color: on
Auto motion plus - custom
Blur reduction - 10
Judder reduction - 7
LED clear motion off
Smart LED - high
Cinema black - on

This is what I have for now.
Any changes?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Good Day Samsung Owners,

I myself am a relatively new owner/purchaser of the Samsung UN65HU9000. I bought it back in April and made sure i watched it for atleast 100 hours before i got Best Buy to come in and complete a 'calibration'.
I was previously playing around with it myself and somewhat liked the settings i had set.

The calibration guy was here for about 50 minutes today, did his thing and left...with no report on the changes or anything?
I was/am dissapointed in what was done to the television vs. the cost of that appointment.

The 'blacks' on my tv used to be deep lustreous black, now they are a med-dark grey??
The screen looks like there is a smokey film on it...or i am watching television in a smoke filled room-What the Hell??...
I was giving the guy grief before he left and he kept saying "just try watching it for a week"....that didn't sit right with me, i could tell i didn't like the television as its set right now.
I told him that if it was 'calibrated' like this in the store-room, i would have walked right past at purchased the Sony.

Anyhow, as you can probably tell, i am looking for any help or weblinks that can assist me in doing this re-calibration myself.

I have noted your settings above but, it all depends on light conditions of room etc etc.

I'll take a look on youtube, see what they have.

·
Registered
18,404 Posts
BB does not have the best reputation for providing quality calibration services. 50 minutes is way too short for a proper calibration unless your tv is very close to rec.709 standards out of the box. 2 -3 hours is more the norm. And a qualified (and by that I mean one who has lots of experience and referrals in calibrating your model) calibrator will show you graphs of what your tv was like before calibration and after. Just because they have a certificate that indicates they passed a calibration course doesn't mean they are competent or truly know what they are doing.

Using someone else's settings does not calibrate your tv. It only adjusts your tv to another tv. Due to component tolerances from tv to tv, what looks good on one tv could look like crap on another. Watching your tv for a week is not a bad idea to give your eyes a chance to adjust (some people don't like what a properly calibrated tv looks like) but if BB didn't show you any proof of a proper calibration, nothing is going to change. If you paid for it, I'd ask for your money back and then I'd look around your area for a certified calibrator. Check his references, ask to see when his instrumentation was calibrated last and discuss what he will do and why. Plan on spending about $300 depending on what he has to do and if you want daytime/nighttime calibrations.

Your other option would be to get a calibration disk and adjust what settings you can based on the patterns described on the disk. It won't be a true calibration but all you may need to do is dial in the basics as close to rec.709 that your eyes will allow you. The other option is to purchase a light meter and software and learn how to do it yourself.

·
Registered
2 Posts
THanks for the feedback Otto,

I appreciate it.
Yeah, i figured that somebody else's calibration setting would not necessarily cut it, just thought it would be a start.
I'll look around for a calibrator of quality.

One question in general, in regards to 'black colour'.
I had my original setup on an old HDTV cathode tube type circa 2001, i got used to black colouring being...well black.
After the BB calibration on this new 9000series, the 'blacks' were actually medium to dark greys... Is this something normal to expect?

Cheers...

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
SEK3500

Movie Mode:
Backlight: 8
Contrast: 92
Sharpness: 0
Colour: 50