AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the samsung HPS5053 720p. I am unable to get the OTA channels that say channels 4.1, 13.2, etc. When I scan for channels it only says like channel 4, 5, 6, etc. I'm not able to get the number after the decimal for some reason? Will my plasma do this or not? Thanks for your help in advance!

Mike

·
Premium Member
18,331 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeZ06 /forum/post/15418297

I have the samsung HPS5053 720p. I am unable to get the OTA channels that say channels 4.1, 13.2, etc. When I scan for channels it only says like channel 4, 5, 6, etc. I'm not able to get the number after the decimal for some reason? Will my plasma do this or not? Thanks for your help in advance!

It's new enough that it should have an ATSC tuner and should be able to tune to the digital "HD" channels. Are you sure you're performing the scan correctly? Does the menu give you the option of tuning to ANTENNA or DIGITAL channels?

Is your antenna UHF capable? If it's only a VHF antenna it won't be able to pull in the "HD" channels which are usually on the UHF band. This happened to my co-worker when he bought a Plasma last year - it only found the analog channels. Turns out that his old roof antenna did not have any UHF elements, so we put up a new VHF/UHF antenna and he was able to pull in every single digital channel and with very high signal strength.

If your antenna is HD capable, are you sure you're close enough to the towers?

·
Registered
2,295 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeZ06 /forum/post/15418937

I am basically just plugging the coax cable from the wall into the back of the tv and performing auto scan. Is the correct way? Do I need an external antenna also?

.. do you live in an apartment; is so, it probably goes to some basic cable line or outdated exterior antenna. Purchase a indoor antenna, I believe Randy has recommended Channel Master brand.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I live in a house and have digital cable tv with a dvr box. But I was testing this out with the tv without using the cable companies box to see if I could get OTA channels with just the coax from the wall. Would this coax cable be able to produce channels without adding an antenna?

·
Premium Member
18,331 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeZ06 /forum/post/15419007

I live in a house and have digital cable tv with a dvr box. But I was testing this out with the tv without using the cable companies box to see if I could get OTA channels with just the coax from the wall. Would this coax cable be able to produce channels without adding an antenna?

You won't get any Over The Air signals from that Cable Company Coax. If the TV has a QAM tuner, it should be able to receive the hidden HD channels that your cable company provides in the clear, if they do at all. If the TV's menu gives you the option of scanning for ANTENNA or CABLE channels, use CABLE and see if it picks up the QAM channels.

If you want to use the TV's ATSC tuner to tune the OTA channels, you have to connect it to a suitable antenna and scan for Antenna channels instead of Cable channels. How many miles are you from the towers? If you don't know, enter your information in the form at www.antennaweb.org and it will tell you how far you are from the towers and if you're close enough, then you can probably pull in the local OTA channels with a decent indoor or outdoor antenna.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.