AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
AFAIK, Samsung and Sony mostly use the same LCD panels; it's just the calibation, software and screen filters/surfaces that are different. So in theory they should deliver very similiar PQ.

However, I'm noticing that Samsung does a better job with detail. The details are sharper and there's more contrast within areas of detail (esp folks' hair for some reason). The sony is a little soft.

Since I prefer the Sony (z5100, xbr6, xbr9) for various reasons over the samsung (b650, b750), does anyone know if you can tweak the Sony to look more like the samsung in this regard? And which calibr. parameters these might be?

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
i find the opposite concerning samsung and sony sharpness. i currently own an A950 and recently (2 days ago) upgraded a 52A650 to a 52Z5100... the main reason i changed the 650 to the Z series was that my buddy has an XBR6 and the detail in the sony is quite a bit more detailed than the a650 and, although hard to believe, better than the 950. for instance, i just recently watched "the patriot" on my a950 and his xbr6, and i could see bumps, scars, pimples in faces on his XBR6, where on the A950, colors were much MUCH better, but detail was lost. I also prefer motionflow to samsungs AMP, it just looks better and smoother IMO

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by omeletpants /forum/post/16986597

Instead of bumping this continually you could take this to the calibration forum where it belongs.

I wasn't aware there was one. I'll try there as well. Great name btw

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetrash66 /forum/post/16986726

i find the opposite concerning samsung and sony sharpness. i currently own an A950 and recently (2 days ago) upgraded a 52A650 to a 52Z5100... the main reason i changed the 650 to the Z series was that my buddy has an XBR6 and the detail in the sony is quite a bit more detailed than the a650 and, although hard to believe, better than the 950. for instance, i just recently watched "the patriot" on my a950 and his xbr6, and i could see bumps, scars, pimples in faces on his XBR6, where on the A950, colors were much MUCH better, but detail was lost. I also prefer motionflow to samsungs AMP, it just looks better and smoother IMO

Interesting -- is it possible that the B revision enhanced the detail? The 950 also had LED-array backlighting (AFAIK), which could positively or negatively affect the detail depending on the scene and how they are digitally correcting each LED's optical pattern.

Anyway, from comparing a number of Samsung B's to Sony 5100's in various Best Buys, the samsung seems consistently sharper to me.

Also, apparently samsung's AMP is configurable, you can independently adjust anti-blur and anti-judder compensations to taste. I don't think the sony allows this, although they both use the same hardware and algorithms for it (a third party owns the technology).

·
Registered
1,127 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_k /forum/post/16987022

I wasn't aware there was one. I'll try there as well. Great name btw

Interesting -- is it possible that the B revision enhanced the detail? The 950 also had LED-array backlighting (AFAIK), which could positively or negatively affect the detail depending on the scene and how they are digitally correcting each LED's optical pattern.

Anyway, from comparing a number of Samsung B's to Sony 5100's in various Best Buys, the samsung seems consistently sharper to me.

Also, apparently samsung's AMP is configurable, you can independently adjust anti-blur and anti-judder compensations to taste. I don't think the sony allows this, although they both use the same hardware and algorithms for it (a third party owns the technology).

All i know about motion is that AMP looks unnatural at best, and unusable at worst. All sorts of artifacts and blurring on medium or high, and everything looks like its in 1.25 speed. Amp also kicks in and out in low, med, or high, and still has some judder left in it. Motionflow, on the other hand, looks much more natural, and doesn't kick in and out. Details are way easier to make out and not blurry. When there is motion like a person moving their head from left to right for example, the samsung will blur all of the facial details in some degree (pores, hair, etc looks smudged), but the sony keeps all detail even in fast motion. Samsung looks more like stuff was shot with a home camera, where the sony kind of looks more cinematic and 3d.

Anyway, i'm much happier with the Z than the sammy. It wasn't a bad TV, quite a good picture, but i'm a whore for motion enhancement, and sony has much better implementation of it. And seriously, once you get the TV home, they are super bright. The Z5100 is way brighter than the 650, and colors seem better saturated to me... but what do i know

1 - 8 of 8 Posts