AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. Just requesting a quick opinion.

My folks are entering the world of HD, and based on my satisfaction with LCD (my 2yr-old Samsung LNS4092D), I'm recommending they purchase something in the mid-level range of newer 1080p LCDs. They want to stick with 40-42" at no more than $1,500 (preferably $1,100-1,300) because of the additional cost to purchase a Blu-ray or upconverting DVD player, possibly wall mount hardware, etc. But if the set is worth the money, they're willing to stretch to the upper end of their range.

Oh, and they don't want to source it from an online-only retailer. They want walk-in access in case there's something wrong with the set. So there's the issue with slightly inflated pricing.

Anyway, I'm looking at the following models for them, in order of my (humble) preference. Thoughts?

Samsung LN40A630

LG 42LG60

Samsung LN40A550

LG 42LG50

Thank you much.

·
Registered
866 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by h1m /forum/post/15433742

Hey all. Just requesting a quick opinion.

My folks are entering the world of HD, and based on my satisfaction with LCD (my 2yr-old Samsung LNS4092D), I'm recommending they purchase something in the mid-level range of newer 1080p LCDs. They want to stick with 40-42" at no more than $1,500 (preferably $1,100-1,300) because of the additional cost to purchase a Blu-ray or upconverting DVD player, possibly wall mount hardware, etc. But if the set is worth the money, they're willing to stretch to the upper end of their range.

Oh, and they don't want to source it from an online-only retailer. They want walk-in access in case there's something wrong with the set. So there's the issue with slightly inflated pricing.

Anyway, I'm looking at the following models for them, in order of my (humble) preference. Thoughts?

Samsung LN40A630

LG 42LG60

Samsung LN40A550

LG 42LG50

Thank you much.

You can get a 40" toshiba for much less than your targeted price.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by FragHD /forum/post/15433835

Go with the Samsung LN40A630 for sure. It is on sale at CC right now in the price range you specified and is a 120 hz set that will allow you to watch blu-ray's at 24p with no issues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by omeletpants /forum/post/15433901

If you do a search you will find plenty of comments on each set. These are discussed every day here

Thanks FragHD. And apologies for the redundant post omeletpants. I've found a lot of opinions on each, but nothing definitive that compares these options (even various models within a particular brand). Just looking for a quick and to the point opinion poll.

Prices out there are amazing on these new sets. I'm bumming about my 720p Samsung, but I just can't justify the cost of an upgrade myself. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.