AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well...

I have owned two Panasonics now. The first was the 77U (as the skit in the show "In Living Color" would say, "hated it"). I didn't hate it. It's a fantastic set with HD sources to it, but that filter on the glass has to go. So I went to the 700U. IMHO, an entirely different "look", but within the same Panasonic "look" category. Way better in so many ways. I went to the store today, under worst conditions, of course, though at this store, at least there aren't tons of tvs and lots of light like at Best Buy...and saw the Samsung. I have seen this set in the store previously twice and also at Best Buy.

It was not until today that I became thoroughly impressed by the set, likely after having been able to spend enough time doing some adjustments to it, and also knowing what I have seen with standard def content at home with my Panasonics.

Overall, the Samsung is on a different level for sharpness, something I value a lot because the Plasmas (Panasonics) I have had are very good with higher def sources, but even with an upscaled DVD, do not get sharp enough for me. Samsung with the better standard definition commercials being shown was at the level of sharpness I can only wish the Panasonic could be at. This was a first thing that "really" struck me as being what I was "needing" from a set. I cannot stand seeing even an upscaled DVD not look as sharp as what I was watching in this store tonight.

Color wise, the Samsung is way better. The colors are nowhere near as saturated. Sure, I can take down the saturation with the Panasonic, but the color is still way too dense and does not look like a real color to me. It's hard to explain, but when a "flat" color should be a "flat" color, it shows on the Samsung when adjusted correctly, but I cannot get the Panasonic to show the same "flat" color...it seems to "add" something to that color so that a flat maroon is more like a cartoonish maroon (more like a deepish maroon/red). All in all, the color is really as spot on as I have seen in these three plasmas and in spite I do love the coloration of the Panasonic, I don't think I have ever been able to get it to look as "realistic" as I was able to do with very quick adjustments on the Samsung panel tonight.

Overall impression is the Samsung is in a different league. I have not seen the Kuro just yet and maybe I never broke in my Panasonics for 1000 hours to see that they are the better set, but I think 100 hours should be enough for the Panasonic and I really don't believe in break-in very much...I think some things can change with time, but I don't see some miracle breakthroughs happening that transform the set into a new beast!

So at this point, I have to say the Samsung is in a different class. Where it fits in the Plasma and any panel available today is hard to say without having all the panels around me, but I can say with pretty good certainty that the Samsung is in its own league above the Panasonic 2007 sets, and will only come down to it vs. the Kuro in my book for best plasma of 2007.

Just my .02 so have at it Panny people!

Cheers!

P.S. I have always loved Panasonic and will always have my eye on them. But at this time, I feel confident to say what I just have.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by omeletpants /forum/post/12863523

Wait until the Panny fans boys get here, then you will be sorry

I have already been given it by one Panfanboy on another site. I do not know if I stated it, but I also feel the Panasonic is less 3-dimensional looking also.

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
In my opinion they are the best looking plasmas out there bar none. The 5064 is exceptionally good and the 5884 and 5084 are in a class by themselves.

Yes, I own a Sammy

·
Registered
998 Posts
The OP just joined a month ago and is as trying to attack the #1 plasma? Some people must not like a winner?

Consumer Reports rated Samsung worst of all plasma's they reviewed. Panasonic was ranked best! Vizio was ranked better than Samsung!

Here are the rankings-

Consumer Reports Scores

Panasonic TH-50PZ700U - 81

Panasonic TH-50PX75U -- 78

Vizio JV50P ---------------- 72
Samsung 5084 ------------ 68

Panasonic has a proven track record of reliability. They make quality. Samsung requires firmwares to work properly, and even then it flickers, and who knows how long it will last.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Samsung Plasma are all over the place some sets like the 5084 has great black but too dim, the 5054 is bright but lousy blacks. Its like split personality across their plasma lines.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogiehowser /forum/post/12864777

The OP just joined a month ago and is as trying to attack the #1 plasma? Some people must not like a winner?

Consumer Reports rated Samsung worst of all plasma's they reviewed. Panasonic was ranked best! Vizio was ranked better than Samsung!

Here are the rankings-

Consumer Reports Scores

Panasonic TH-50PZ700U - 81

Panasonic TH-50PX75U -- 78

Vizio JV50P ---------------- 72
Samsung 5084 ------------ 68

Panasonic has a proven track record of reliability. They make quality. Samsung requires firmwares to work properly, and even then it flickers, and who knows how long it will last.

Not trying to attack. Just stating my opinion. BTW, Consumer Reports doesn't have the Pioneers on the list. Care to tell me why? Vizio #3...you have got to be kidding.

I guess if you want to go with sources like this, why don't you have a look at where the Samsung is placed ABOVE the Panasonic:

http://reviews.cnet.com/4370-6485_7-...1.html?tag=dir

·
Registered
5,088 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioexcels /forum/post/12864904

Not trying to attack. Just stating my opinion. BTW, Consumer Reports doesn't have the Pioneers on the list. Care to tell me why? Vizio #3...you have got to be kidding.

I guess if you want to go with sources like this, why don't you have a look at where the Samsung is placed ABOVE the Panasonic:

http://reviews.cnet.com/4370-6485_7-...1.html?tag=dir

Told you that the Panny Fanboys won't allow you to have an opinion. Your eyes can't be trusted

1 - 9 of 9 Posts