AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I've been to my local Best Buy and seen the demo of the 55 inch Samsung LED 3D TV. It actually was better than I expected. The Magnolia department won't have their 50 inch Plasma Panasonic 3D TV demo up for a few days. Just curious to hear from anyone who has already seen both how they compare when viewing 3D? I am assuming the Panasonic is worth waiting for, but also note that it does not offer the feature promised by the Samsung of allowing one to see 2D programming in 3D. Somewhat curious if that added feature gives the edge to the Samsung. The other consideration is to wait until the Panasonic 65 incher comes out in July though have no idea what the price premium will be for the super sizing.

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
I visitied one BB and phoned another and both had the TVs but neither had 3D glasses. That's a good one.

·
Banned
54 Posts
Just saw the demo with the 3 d glasses. They had the 55 C7000 , the samsung 3D blu ray player for $499.00 , and a bundle package with 2 rechargeable glasses with the monsters versus aliens for $140.00 . The demo was pretty good. They had to recharge one pair of glasses while they brung me out another pair. I'm waiting on the 65 inch C8000 series , yep...I'm going in big and early.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I saw the 3d demo at BB. It was the monsters vs aliens and I was very unimpressed. The images appeared to have some depth, but no images popped out of the screen. Did any pop out of the screen that you were watching? I think it could be the settings on the particular TVs, but I am not certain.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxvegas98 /forum/post/18318775

I saw the 3d demo at BB. It was the monsters vs aliens and I was very unimpressed. The images appeared to have some depth, but no images popped out of the screen. Did any pop out of the screen that you were watching? I think it could be the settings on the particular TVs, but I am not certain.

Yeah, I had the same experience at first. Turns out the salespeople have to activate the 3D feature using the remote control and also make sure the glasses are turned on. Once they did that it was the eye-popping 3-D I expected. (It was funny watching lots of other customers putting on the 3D glasses and thinking they were seeing 3D. Looks like the salesmen make no effort to promo the product properly unless they think you are a serious customer.)

·
Registered
59 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxvegas98 /forum/post/18318775

If I remember correctly, Monsters vs Aliens was a 3d movie that did not have alot of in your face moments. The only one I really remember was the paddle ball scene. I believe Samsung should have made some sort of demo disc to truly demonstrate the technology.

·
Registered
68 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthTV /forum/post/18319163

Yeah, I had the same experience at first. Turns out the salespeople have to activate the 3D feature using the remote control and also make sure the glasses are turned on. Once they did that it was the eye-popping 3-D I expected. (It was funny watching lots of other customers putting on the 3D glasses and thinking they were seeing 3D. Looks like the salesmen make no effort to promo the product properly unless they think you are a serious customer.)

I did turn the glasses on. They were off at first but then I hit the button and the red light came on. As far as the remote goes, the sales rep refused to get it. I even told him I wanted to check what 2d to 3d conversion was like on a normal movie and he insisted the TV could not do it. (which I know is not true and we almost got in an argument over it)

So I guess it is possible the 3d setting wasn't on, but the movie did look blurry without the glasses and the image with the glasses on did have some depth, but absolutely zero images popping out of the TV.

The Magnolia BB that I went to was far away from my house because I was in that area on business. My local best buy should be getting the glasses this weekend and I have friends that work their. I am sure they will let me see the remote. lol

·
Registered
42 Posts
I went to my BB because they had the Samsung, I asked if they had the glasses and the salesman told me that they did not, but I could watch their disc of Speed Racer and see the 3D without the glasses. I looked at him and asked "Really? You're really trying to tell me that?" at which point he said "Well you can watch and see the 3D, maybe not 3D, but keep watching and you'll see"

I left that area and walked to the Magnolia section where they had just finished setting up the Panasonic 50 inch, with the glasses and the demo disc. AstroBoy looked pretty cool. The depth in the 3D looked amazing. I would relate it to the photos in Avatar, remember those? It seems as though the 3D adds depth but because the screen is not overtaking your vision, things don't really pop out at you, in other words, look out a window, lots of depth, but things aren't coming at you past the plane of the window. But don't get me wrong, it is very cool.

The feature I was most excited to see was also my biggest disappointment, the shorter phosphor response...I still see the green trail, didn't really notice it on the short 3D demo, but in 2D it seemed just as noticeable as the older plasmas.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavitating /forum/post/18319679

I went to my BB because they had the Samsung, I asked if they had the glasses and the salesman told me that they did not, but I could watch their disc of Speed Racer and see the 3D without the glasses. I looked at him and asked "Really? You're really trying to tell me that?" at which point he said "Well you can watch and see the 3D, maybe not 3D, but keep watching and you'll see"

I left that area and walked to the Magnolia section where they had just finished setting up the Panasonic 50 inch, with the glasses and the demo disc. AstroBoy looked pretty cool. The depth in the 3D looked amazing. I would relate it to the photos in Avatar, remember those? It seems as though the 3D adds depth but because the screen is not overtaking your vision, things don't really pop out at you, in other words, look out a window, lots of depth, but things aren't coming at you past the plane of the window. But don't get me wrong, it is very cool.

The feature I was most excited to see was also my biggest disappointment, the shorter phosphor response...I still see the green trail, didn't really notice it on the short 3D demo, but in 2D it seemed just as noticeable as the older plasmas.

was this ****** bag a manager or your round the mill zit face sales rep? I admire your restrain, I would have gone off on him if I was you that way he would think twice before getting cute again in the future. I would have called a manager on him......God!!! that pisses me off!!!!

he has the balls to mock his customers like that!!

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
How hard is it for stores to have a presentation about a new product line and how it works. I am amazed that stores don't lose all of their customers due to in-competence. I would not have been so nice with that person at all.

I think 3D needs a large screen to work effectively. I am curious to see how people react when the larger Panasonics come out.

·
Banned
19,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurice2 /forum/post/18328187

Would a 46-inch screen be considered large enough?

Sure - if you sit close enough.

The idea IMO, is to have the image fill your field of view and not see the edges of the image.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Saturday night I drove past three Best Buy stores in Northern California and stopped at all of them to see if they had the new 3D sets. The first had the Samsung in a little viewing alcove with seating for two and only one pair of tethered glasses. The demo material was selected scenes from Monsters vs. Aliens. One of the seats had a large tattooed woman in it and she seemed to be for the long haul, as I kind of cruised around the store a bit waiting for her to get tired of the demo. She didn't. 3D seemed to be a hit with her. Finally I sat down in the empty seat and she graciously offered he the glasses. Lots of fingerprints on the lenses but when I put them on they worked great. I had seen the movie in the theater and the 3D effects and depth were as I remembered. When that cockroach guy pointed the gun towards you it really came out of the frame at you. The colors seemed right and the light level wasn't to impacted by the shutter glasses. Having seen the Consumer's Report preliminary review of this set and the Panasonic, I was looking for signs of crosstalk and found it to a small degree. Not as much as seen in there video review and less than I has noticed on a Sony demo at the mall. I also did the turning the glasses 90 degrees to the screen, as seen on consumers Report video, and noted they did grey out in the way polarized glasses do. I find this strange because I didn't know any polarization was at work in shutter glasses. So overall I was impressed with what I saw, except for the crosstalk. An annoyance was that the screen was glossy and reflected the bank on LCD sets on the wall behind the viewing area. I returned the glasses to the big woman who was beginning to get impatient with my experimenting.

At the second Best Buy they had both sets and the Samsung was again in the same type of open viewing area with seating. The same demo was playing but not in 3D. I flagged down an employee and he said they were having trouble with the remote but would try to turn on the 3D mode. He messed around with it awhile and got it to work. However, even though the demo was playing in 3D the depth was just not there as it had been on the same set at the other store. It seemed like half of the effect was there, but not as it was at the show or at the other demo. I haven't a clue what was going on with that set. The sales guy sat down and watched and told me it was a great picture but I didn't feel like getting into it with him. The shiny screen and wall of LCDs behind the viewing area once again was also an annoyance here.

In the Magnolia section of the store they had the Panasonic plasma set up in a nice darkened area. The downside was no glasses and no sales people around. I finally hunted one up and he got the glasses from a locked drawer. I was impressed with the glasses as they fit well on the head and comfortably over my prescription glasses. Monsters vs. Aliens was again the only demo playing and came across with the proper 3D effect as remembered from the theater. I expected to be more impressed by the plasma after the glowing review from Consumer Reports but found that although the black level looked great with the glasses off, when on the picture was just too dark. And the most disappointing thing was the evidence of crosstalk that was reported as not being seen by the Reports reviewer. I tried the 90 degree angle experiment with the glasses and found, as the CR review said, that the glasses did not grey out.

At the third Best Buy they only had the Samsung set up once again in the ubiquitous viewing area. It was getting late and there was no one around and two sets of glasses..WooHoo! I watched the whole selected demo scenes twice. Like the first Samsung set this one was set up well and the 3D effects were great. My only complaint with this set would be the glossy screen and some minor crosstalk on some scenes. So, overall I was impressed with the Samsung over the Panasonic plasma at this time but don't feel that I can really make any real quality statement because I feel the Panasonic set probably wasn't calibrated correctly. I haven't a clue what was going on with the second Samsung display with its semi-3D effect. Maybe there is a user controlled level of depth, but I doubt it. Best Buy will not sell many sets from that demo setup! Both sets performed better that the two Sony 3D demos I have seen at their stores in Palo Alto and LA. The Sony sets have way to much crosstalk. I hope they can deal with this before their June release. And I really perfered the Panasonic glasses design over the Samsung version. So keep on the lookout for demos guys. The shopping is most of the fun sometimes.

·
Registered
536 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug /forum/post/18355317

Did big mama make any comment about 3D?

He'll ask her on their date tonight.

I'm curious to how the Samsung Plasma's will look. I wonder if there will be any demos of that too. I assume it will be difficult to set all the different types of sets up with a demo, tho.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I went to a BB today in San Jose, on Almaden road at 85 and saw both the Sammy and Pan 3D. This was the 2nd time I had seen the Sammy, but at the Milpitas BB.

They both looked good, there was no crosstalk and both had 3D effects that came off the screen in your face so to speak and gave great depth.

I think it depends on the content that you are seeing. The only fair comparison would be to see them side by side with the same content playing at the same time.

The pan demo content was better and more fun overall, but the MvsAliens was also good. TV shopping is almost as bad as shopping for clothes as far as I am concerned. The only real way to tell is to buy the TV and watch it at home for several weeks, which is what I plan on doing with the Samsung Plasma 3D.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I looked at Both the Panny and Samsung at best buy in secaucus NJ and the Panasonic is without a doubt superior. Lets see if the blacks on the Panasonic remain consistent over a year.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts