AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to leave my personal non-biased opinion regarding the relative advantage of the current Samsung and Panasonic Plasmas. Specifically, the Samsung 4253 and 5053 and the 4273 and 5073 Vs. the panasonic 42 and 50 60U.

The Samsung has better color, sharpness, blacks and built in audio. The Panasonic has better whites, and MUCH better shadow detail. Dark imgaes on the Samsung are simply black, and on the Panasonic detail can be seen within this dark range. Really a toss-up in my opinion unless one of these factors is very important to you.

SD quality is very close, with only possibly an edge to the Panasonic.

Appearance of the set goes to the Samsung with the black bezel.

Price, the same in general.

Warranty, edge to Samsung... 2 year in home warranty with Panasonic having one year.

My personal conclusion, based upon what I value the most... Samsung.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Coming from a Samsung HPS453 owner....shadow detail SUCKS on my tv. But it still looks amazing on everything but a really dark scene. I find myself reaching for the remote and turning up my brightness during dark scenes and then turning it back down after....it's not fun. But it has a much sexier chassis, and much blacker blacks and brighter colors than the Panny.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandlesFTW /forum/post/0

Coming from a Samsung HPS453 owner....shadow detail SUCKS on my tv. But it still looks amazing on everything but a really dark scene. I find myself reaching for the remote and turning up my brightness during dark scenes and then turning it back down after....it's not fun. But it has a much sexier chassis, and much blacker blacks and brighter colors than the Panny.

It cant have better blacks if the detail in the blacks sucks. That makes no sense. Shadow detail is a HUGE part of viewing quality.

Its sounds like the Sammy is pooling the blacks into one giant glob of black. Sure, its "dark" but if its crushing them then thats no good and is actually similar to LCD treatment of black. The Panny measured out in several tests at CNet and Home Theater Mag with some of the best blacks they have ever measured.

I have nothing against the Sammy and I'll admit to being a 42" Panny owner. When I was shopping I thought Panny had the edge in almost every category. Color is hard to juidge unless the sets are really dialed in so that test at the stores is almost unfair to both brands.

All good, we all have different tastes and this whole thing is mostly subjective.

·
Premium Member
18,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankie1 /forum/post/0

I would like to leave my personal non-biased opinion regarding the relative advantage of the current Samsung and Panasonic Plasmas. Specifically, the Samsung 4253 and 5053 and the 4273 and 5073 Vs. the panasonic 42 and 50 60U.

The Samsung has better color, sharpness, blacks and built in audio. The Panasonic has better whites, and MUCH better shadow detail. Dark imgaes on the Samsung are simply black, and on the Panasonic detail can be seen within this dark range. Really a toss-up in my opinion unless one of these factors is very important to you.

Warranty, edge to Samsung... 2 year in home warranty with Panasonic having one year.

Have you compared them side by side in your own home? Because you cannot go by what you see in the stores.

I have seen countless posts here from people who have returned their Samsung for a Panasonic and reported that the Panasonic looks much better in their home.

Samsung build quality is not as good as Panasonic, and the Samsung's glossy bezel is all wavy and is as reflective as a fun-house mirror. Samsung gives a longer warranty because they need to convince people to buy their substandard product, and they think it gives the apperance that they have faith that their product won't fail within the first two years. They're gambling that the increased sales will offset their higher warranty claim costs. This is a trick that many Korean electronic and automobile manufacturers use to win the less informed Americans over. Hyundai has one of the longest new car warranties but it's still a crappy car.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters /forum/post/0

Have you compared them side by side in your own home? Because you cannot go by what you see in the stores.

I have seen countless posts here from people who have returned their Samsung for a Panasonic and reported that the Panasonic looks much better in their home.

Samsung build quality is not as good as Panasonic, and the Samsung's glossy bezel is all wavy and is as reflective as a fun-house mirror. Samsung gives a longer warranty because they need to convince people to buy their substandard product, and they think it gives the apperance that they have faith that their product won't fail within the first two years. They're gambling that the increased sales will offset their higher warranty claim costs. This is a trick that many Korean electronic and automobile manufacturers use to win the less informed Americans over. Hyundai has one of the longest new car warranties but it's still a crappy car.

Hyundai are not crappy cars. I have 2, for the last 5 years, '0' problems. I am guessing you have never owned a late version Hyundai (>2001)

·
Registered
968 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankie1 /forum/post/0

Frankie,

Sounds from your description like the sets were not well adjusted. Did you have the opportunity to adjust the sets at all? If not, then any comparison is pretty meaningless.

I have seen and adjusted both displays. I have also had the opportunity to see a couple of ISF calibrated Samsungs. They looked quite good as any calibrated display will when thrown in with non-calibrated and even non-adjusted displays.

What I also don't understand is your preference for Samsung given your observation of their appaprent crushing of blacks. Treatment of black level, near blacks, and the resulting shaddow detail is one of the most important perrformance criteria for critical viewing. So many movies are filmed with very dark scenes that this is very important or you miss a lot.

BTW I have seen good shaddow detail from both Panny and Samsung once properly adjusted. What bothereed me about both of these displays was their handling of motion. Have you looked closely at this aspect of their pictures?

Cheers,

Gary

·
Registered
174 Posts

Quote:

My Samsung looks BETTER in my home than it did in the store..the HD from Dish is spectacular and DVDs look awesome as well...im very happy with my purchase and have not had a second thought about it at all

as far as warranty I thought it was only 1 year on the 4253 not 2 but I could be wrong

Although I must admit ..I never knew the longer warranty periods were a good gauge on the crappier quality of a product..just when I thought ive read the dumbest comment in the world on here I can always come back and find another comment to top it..thanks for the laugh..you cant pay for better entertainment than this

·
Registered
732 Posts
A professional calibration will have your Samsung rivaling the pq of much more expensive sets, with the blacks being far more defined, especially when black-over-black detail is displayed.

And I am sure that a profesionally calibrated panasonic will also have a better-than-normal pq.

Toss up, I guess. So then it boils down to personal preference in the overall looks department and how it blends or compliments your interior space. I happen to like the black-framed Sammy. It looks better than the aluminum panny and there is no glare issue if you adjust the set to deflect any glare inducing sources, like a window or lamp.

·
Registered
3,315 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YONEXSP /forum/post/0

Hyundai are not crappy cars. I have 2, for the last 5 years, '0' problems. I am guessing you have never owned a late version Hyundai (>2001)

Uh no, Lexus is not a crappy car. Look at the problems per car ratings to see the big picture.

Panasonic is untouched in that regard.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have to admit it was a toss-up between the Sammy and Panny for me. I decided on the HPS4273 because of the additional options, the "look", and the audio features. This, along with reviews on PQ.

I'll say I am pleased. She is well broken in and I am ready to have 'er professionally calibrated. I've already dialed in a pretty good PQ as is, but I still want to have it calibrated for a base-line.

·
Registered
3,315 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
I went shopping with the intent to buy the panny, and ended up buying the samsung.

I went to 3 different stores with both set up and at all three the samsung looked better in my opinion. Dont get me wrond, the panny is an excellent display, however for me, the samsung was head and shoulders above.

·
Registered
558 Posts

Quote:

Actually, Hyundai beat BOTH Toyota and Honda for reliability this year in consumer reports. So maybe that's a bad example. (Only Lexus, and Porsche came in higher. Since these are luxury brands, this is expected) (Yes, I know Toyota makes Lexus)

·
Registered
732 Posts

Quote:

Have you compared them side by side in your own home? Because you cannot go by what you see in the stores..

I stopped reading the thread at this point, because this is the only statement/question that matters IMO. Perhaps the thread has wandered since then, but to me this is the key.

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
Comparing 60in+ tv's the samsung 6373 has the best blacks i have ever seen from a digital of any tech. But it's not perfect, the colors seem off, pinkish skin tones, brown trees seem to lack the color brown, well comparing to the fhd1 they did, the whites are brighter and the picture has pop but this can seem overly done with some scenes and look unaccurate.

·
Registered
968 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zues /forum/post/0

Comparing 60in+ tv's the samsung 6373 has the best blacks i have ever seen from a digital of any tech. But it's not perfect, the colors seem off, pinkish skin tones, brown trees seem to lack the color brown, the whites are brighter and the picture has pop but this can seem overly done with some scenes and look unaccurate.

Zues,

Its interesting that you mention the "pinkish" skin tones on the 6373 Sammy. I have seen 5073s ISF calibrated as well as adjusting them myself and I have always been able to get a fantastic picture on the 50" model. However, I have never been able to get even a reasonable color tone on a 63" model. There is always a pale rose cast to the tone that I can't get rid of. Perhaps a service menu adjustment is required. I don't know.

I spoke to a salesman at BB the other day who has a reasonable amount of knowledge and he thought the 63" had a different processor than the other 73 series displays. Something is different.

I would love to hear from someone who has had a 6373 successfully calibrated.

Cheers,

Gary

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.