AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Guys

I once again took the time to Compare Samsung Models and how upsetting is this one..

I now have a 65JS8500 and a 65JU7500 in the same room both streaming Netflix 4K and I used Blacklist because it was shot very well in 4k.

They are both set the exact same way and I am not sure how much will come across in pictures but here we go.

The TV on the top is the 7500 and the 8500 is the Lower one.

I used my iPhone and HDR so i got the best I could get.. Some of the pics you can really tell the difference.

For starters the Colors on the JU are much better both straight on and off Axis as well. You will see it clearly.. The Detail in the pictures are dramatic as well. The JU is just more natural and the detail is better on every scene.

The thing to keep in mind is the JU which is up top is not at the same distance as that would be impossible for me. So keep in mind the JU is about 15" further back. This may have some effect on Focus and Size of image but you can get the idea.

Sound is a huge problem.. The JU has awesome sound and at low numbers like 10-15 on the screen volume.. The JS needs to be cranked to 25-45 for it to be decently listenable.

I am now watching Directv on both back and forth and I like both but would take the JU any day overall.

Form Factor and Design -
This is where I am totally bummed. The JS chassis is gorgeous and so much better looking than the JU its incredible.. The JU as I have posted in other threads is thick but has great sound and pic.. The JS is thin and nice and sound is mediocre.

My suggestion is don't spend the extra money on the JS and stick with the JU series this year or wait for the Sony 900C's which are going to blow some minds as I hear from the Sony Rep.

Thx
Craig

Attachments

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Hmmm.. I have had the JS8500, JS9500, and JS7100 and JS7500 (I now just have the JS8500) and I would rate it second to the JS9500, only by a small margin though... I'm not sure what to think of this thread right now.

·
Registered
52 Posts
For those of us who have implemented a home theater sound system, the quality of the audio from the flat panel's onboard speakers is totally unimportant. To me, based upon your photos the JU's picture appeared darker in the dark areas of a scene. Thanks for taking the time to do the analysis.

BTW, the next best thing, is always, just over the next hill...

·
Registered
239 Posts
Picture maybe zoomed in or cropped

The picture on the bottom looks zoomed in on or cropped. You can tell by looking at picture #9 . The lady's neck in the top picture where you can see the lines or curves of her neck are cut off too high up the neck on the picture at the bottom. This would lower the detail on the picture at the bottom.

That along with the calibrations for every tv being different to get the picture, even for the exact same model! Samsung has been known to use different panels on the same model #`s yielding different picture quality.

I would turn the brightness down 3 clicks and the color up 3 clicks on the tv on the botton and check to make sure the picture size is set to standard 16:9 without cropping.

·
Registered
6,339 Posts
What a silly way to come to some conclusion.

You use the same settings for two different TVs, ignoring that they aren't going to be the same since they are different TVs/panels. Clearly then they will have differences. The only way to actually compare two sets is to calibrate them both using the same equipment to the same standard/levels and see how they do.

Second, you are comparing ONE panel to ONE other panel. That is hardly some definitive proof that one TV line is not worth it over the other given EVERYONE knows the variance in panel quality/lottery specifically when it comes to LED based sets. For all we know you could go get another of each and your comparison would show the exact opposite results.

Some of the stuff I read here at the LCD based forum is mind boggling...

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
I went from a JU7100 to a JS9000 and I though the JU7100 seemed to crush the blacks too. The JS9000 seems easier to watch. Both have great pictures but I still prefer the JS9000.

Sounds is excellent on the JS9000, not sure if the JS8500 is any different.

·
Registered
7,233 Posts
I commend you for your depiction and thanks and it should be understood that photo's certainly cannot replicate what one's eyes ACTUALLY observe and the mind perceives. We Love to see pic's though they simply rarely are representative of what one is seeing.

In most pic's I can slightly observe more details in some backgrounds and the eyes and lips of the 7500 though I agree with others the lighting is displayed much darker on the suits and at that point it seems to point that a different calibration is needed between the two but thanks for the attempt.

So how do you feel about the 9500? I cross compared the Sony X950B vs. the JS9000 via Via BluRay and I was actually shocked it was no contest surprisingly that the Sony EASILY bested the JS9000 in level of details in background/foreground and everything else but when switched to normal HD broadcast it was difficult to see a difference but with BD of Maleficent it wasn't even close.

Still awaiting our BB to display a JS9500 and new Sony's to see if it proves to match or exceed the X950B. Thanks for the try and I can agree and appreciate what you attempted but as soon as I would've seen those dark suits without detail I'd question the menu setting differences between the two. Keep trying, this may help many aiming for a 7500 or helping them consider doing their own side-by-side. THX:)

·
Registered
789 Posts
I'm really interested in your comparison, but agree it looks like something is off with the zoom.

I'd recommend going and using the posted settings people liked on both the 8500 and 7100 from their threads here on the forum to compare. The JS8500 is quite a bit brighter to handle HDR, so the exact same settings will result in very different images (as you saw with the 7100 crushing blacks but the 8500 looking slightly washed out).

With samsung's undying love of curved screens though, it could be interesting if you still find the 7100 is better. We all know they only put their best tech in the curved screens unfortunately.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
I commend you for your depiction and thanks and it should be understood that photo's certainly cannot replicate what one's eyes ACTUALLY observe and the mind perceives. We Love to see pic's though they simply rarely are representative of what one is seeing.

In most pic's I can slightly observe more details in some backgrounds and the eyes and lips of the 7500 though I agree with others the lighting is displayed much darker on the suits and at that point it seems to point that a different calibration is needed between the two but thanks for the attempt.

So how do you feel about the 9500? I cross compared the Sony X950B vs. the JS9000 via Via BluRay and I was actually shocked it was no contest surprisingly that the Sony EASILY bested the JS9000 in level of details in background/foreground and everything else but when switched to normal HD broadcast it was difficult to see a difference but with BD of Maleficent it wasn't even close.

Still awaiting our BB to display a JS9500 and new Sony's to see if it proves to match or exceed the X950B. Thanks for the try and I can agree and appreciate what you attempted but as soon as I would've seen those dark suits without detail I'd question the menu setting differences between the two. Keep trying, this may help many aiming for a 7500 or helping them consider doing their own side-by-side. THX
I'd be curious how they compair with 4K content though. Im not sure if the JS9000 has the SUHD remastering chip per a review out on the net in Greek.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The picture on the bottom looks zoomed in on or cropped. You can tell by looking at picture #9 . The lady's neck in the top picture where you can see the lines or curves of her neck are cut off too high up the neck on the picture at the bottom. This would lower the detail on the picture at the bottom.
I'm really interested in your comparison, but agree it looks like something is off with the zoom.
It's the angle that he was taking the photos. The photo he took didn't capture the entire screen, you'll notice that it's cropped in from the left as well.

·
Banned
6,246 Posts
I have seen both the ju7500 is very good indeed but i does not have the same level of blck details as js8500 not to mention it crushes blks. The JS8500 has better colours and better blk levels not to mention it get much brighter than the ju7500. From the pics you can see that js8500 has more details ...

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Guys

The pics I took are all unaltered no cropping at all iPhone pics.

Keep in mind one TV is behind the other so focus and stuff may be off but overall shows the colors and such.

This was not intended to be a Detailed A/B comparison with Calibrated Tvs, just a simple A/B.

In person is where you really get to see the differences and all in all they are both great tv's and the JS is a little less color pop.. The JS could be more relaxing to some I guess but the colors on the JU7500 are great. Please keep in mind that I did this weeks ago with the JU7100 Vs the JU7500 and the 7100 was much better for me.

So what does this mean ? The JU7100 if I had it up against the JS8500 , the 7100 would be the big winner for me.

Being in the business I get to play with everything This year Samsung cheapened their Industrial Designs as the JU's are thick and not nearly as nice as the chassis as prior models. The JS has a nice chassis but its expensive and picture is decent. For a SUHD it doesn't make sense to me.

The Worst thing for me is the new Remote and New Tizen Operating system. This was Samsungs biggest mistake. Its graphics are weak, the software is lacking and no developers want to write apps for Tizen because no one else is using it.

PLEX one of my favorite programs isn't available on Tizen and they might not port it ever.

No idea why samsung did this and they could have easily done Android and had tons of Apps and great interfaces. They chose wrong this year and I can tell you its hurting sales.

Sony's lineup is quite interesting and not that Sony had good years in the past few but this is their chance to come back.

The X900C's hit the shelves in mid June and this will be the big test for Sony. They claim they will be the thinnest panels ever and the designs look wonderful.. Will they look good ? Thats the million dollar question.

More to come
Craig

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
I would agree, I think the JS9000 does seem more "relaxing" then my JU7100. I preferred the more "relaxing" picture though...

For what it's worth, I was told my JU7100 was better then the Vizio P50, but also several compliments on the JS9000 with out asking...just saying

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
I would agree, I think the JS9000 does seem more "relaxing" then my JU7100. I preferred the more "relaxing" picture though...

"Relaxing" , is that a new word you made up to describe a tv's picture quality? What does that mean?

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
I was comparing these models recently in the store, and came to the same conclusion. The JS8500-JS9500 models appear washed out, foggy, and dull compared to the JU7500 when in factory, uncalibrated modes. I did not notice black crush, but that the blacks were indeed darker. The picture on the JU7500 looks to have more range between black and white. When they are properly calibrated, that may change. I am not sure what would be causing this though as they are all most likely using the same LCD panels, the only differences being QD's and the software driving them.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
"Relaxing" , is that a new word you made up to describe a tv's picture quality? What does that mean?
YES relaxing can be used in video my friend.

The picture is more sedate and not as punchy with colors etc..

This thread wasnt meant to be a technical A/B numbers comparison but a great straight visual A/B which in all reality is what people want to hear.

Alot of people on AVS rely solely on numbers and calibrated specs and thats great for some but for me and 20+ years in this business we like just seeing the proof in the pudding..

1 - 20 of 55 Posts