AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just have been reading everything I can find on the avs forums about the samsung capacitor problem but couldnt get a definate answer a to whether they had fixed the problem or not. I e mailed them and here is their reply.

(start of e mail)

Thank you for contacting Samsung Electronics.

We understand you would like to know if 2011 TV's are facing the capacitor problem or it have been resolved.

We are glad to inform you that, day by day Samsung improvising their products, and the capacitor issues are only there for

2007 and 2008 TV's.

And after 2008, there are no reported issues, because the capacitors have been updated or the advance capacitors are

been upgraded in the TV's.

So far we couldn't addressed any issue with the 2011 TV's.

If you require any further information, please feel free to contact us.

Thank you.

Samsung Online Support.

Follow Samsung Service on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube.

(end of samsung e mail)

I hope this information helps everyone. this is an aggravating problem and hopefully they have solved it.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I'm surprised that the capacitor problem is still an issue after all these years, but we all know of companies who refuse to throw away bad stock and lose a few bucks;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague

This was really quite an interesting story 10 years ago. There was a Japanese scientist who invented the new type of capacitor. He got screwed over by his company, so he stole the formula and went to China hoping to make a few million bucks. Knowing how the Chinese operate he showed them part of the formula to prove it was something new and different, but didn't show them the whole thing. Thinking they had the whole formula they thanked him and threw him out. Problem was he didn't tell them the new key ingredient. So the Chinese guessed at a few things and set about producing, presumably, 10's of millions of bad capacitors which were then basically sold to every electronic manufacturer on Earth. Hence all the bulging or exploding capacitors.

Originally this was a motherboard problem more than anything else. If you Google "Bad caps" you'll find hoards of info about who, what, where and how to identify them. It seems LTEC 1000µf were the main culprits at the time, but I'm sure there are other brands and sizes?

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Reminds me of the time we tried to set up an upstream feed to the local Cable company, but had problems with hum on the line. We tried to break the shield of the return coax by using the old "back-to-back balun" trick, but it didn't work. We even tried several different baluns, but with no luck.

Taking them apart, we found that there were no transformers inside them. Just a circuit board that took one side of the 300-ohm twinlead to the center coax pin, and the other side to the coax shield. Apparently, someone had no idea what a balun was meant to do, or how to build one. They were making "lookalikes".

And, apparently, there were many thousands of them shipped out to stores around the world.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.