AVS Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by roland6465 /forum/post/13319197

If the HMX20 uses mpeg4 like the HMX10 did, go for the Sony. I had the 10 for 2 days before I realized that there are no consumer level editors that work in mpeg4. I exchanged it and got the Sony SR5 back in January, and have been very happy with it.

I have no problem editing these files in iMovie or Final Cut

these files are very friendly with OSX 10.5

(except if you record in 1080i/60i), we shoot in 1080p/30p

have not attempted working with these files in Parallels environment

·
Registered
42 Posts
I picked this camera up the other day

it's very easy to use and has a nice clean picture even in SD

the MAIN reason why it got the wife's approval : the .mp4 file

if you have an Intel Core 2 Duo machine with say 2gb RAM you are watching in QuickTime and editing these files within seconds of slaping your SDHC/MMC card in a reader

we experienced no transcoding into iMovie or Final Cut Express 4

---- we still have .mts files from an earlier Panasonic experiment that we can do little with, except watch them on a Ps3 ...... KUDOS to Samsung for this .mp4 'wrapper' .....

the QuickMenu offers Resolution / Storage / WB/ Shutter / Focus/ EXPOSURE manual controls on-screen and in record ...... you can go from a 1080p/30p mode to a 480p/60p mode or the 300fps Slo-Mo mode in a matter of seconds without having to dive through a nest of menu stacks

you've probably heard already how simple and intuitive the controls are .... they are well though out and well implemted ... I'd like to re-sort them a bit, but they're all pretty easy to access via the touchscreen

just for clarification, there are 2 menus. the Quick Menu (which is activated by a button located on the LCD flip, and the Main Menu which is accessed by an icon on the touchscreen

The images both video and still are sharp and colorful. If you missed some shots while in Video , you just press a PHOTO button and capture a scene from the video stream at 8mp ... I took some shots of my daughter before her Dance Recital and the pictures look better than out 10mp point and shoot

I really could go on and on and fully review this thin from top to bottom, maybe another day . but I will say this :

THIS CAMCORDER IS WORTH IT FOR THE .mp4

that is , if you want to instantly view what you shot and begin editing within minutes instead of waiting for it to transcode

21 - 23 of 23 Posts