AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just moved to San Angelo, TX. House I bought had Cox cable. Want to get NFL Sunday for watching NFL games and HD Distant Network Service (DNS) so my wife can time shift plus watch her network programs in HD .

My problem is complicated because I want HD DNS and I convinced a D* CSR that I would not subscribe until I knew whether I'd get DNS. My argument was I want the HDTV package and am buying a large screen HDTV set but until I know if I will get DNS I would not know what D* receiver to order.

The CSR said they could not request waivers since I do not have an account. I then requested to speak to a DNS supervisor and after I told her my story she put me on a three way line with a guy in either Utah or Idaho, and after I posed my question about what would I order if I did not know if I would get HD network programming. They then agreed to give me a temporary account and sent requests to the local networks for a waiver for HD since none of them have HD and do not plan to in the near future. By the way, D* does not offer local networks in this area.

That was on July 26 and I have not heard anything from anyone. Does anyone have any suggestions for me to follow?????

Signed frustrated in West Texas

·
Registered
249 Posts
From what I've heard, Cox Cable is very slow in some areas to carry local HD stations. Are they carrying any local HD signals there?

I know KLST has a low power digital signal. Are they passing 1080i signal from CBS? Either way, you might try and get their OTA signal.

Because you're in San Angelo, and inside grade A analog coverage areas of both KIDY-TV and KLST, you may not have much luck getting DNS service. D* allows subscribers living in markets where CBS or FOX owns the station to get HD DNS for those networks. If you lived outside the local stations' grade B coverage areas, you'd also be eligible for a distant network feed.

In the Central time zone, O&O markets and subscribers outside grade B would get WCBS and WNYW New York. Because the networks don't own your San Angelo affiliates, the local stations will probably not give you a waiver...but politely ask the stations anyway.

D* will be launching HD local service into 12 markets in the coming months. These larger markets will probably lose their DNS service once that happens.

D* should sell you the NFL Sunday Ticket package and give you the HD Sunday Ticket feeds. Although I heard there is an extra charge for HD games.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.