AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I figured the State of the Union address would be a good opportunity to compare HD video and audio quality of the big three, since all three stations are carrying the same source feed.

I have a Sony KV36HS510 and receive my HD through Time Warner cable.

Results: I think WOAI has a crisper picture, followed by KENS, then KSAT. Audio quality is the same between WOAI and KENS. KSAT's audio level is much lower.

This concludes this test of the HD comparison system. :D

·
Registered
50 Posts
So is it safe to say that equal resolution broadcasts (1080x1920) are not always the same bit rate? I watch KLRN's HDTV channel sometimes and it looks great when the camera is still but you can really see compression artifacts quite easily when there is movement, easier seen on KLRN than it is on other channels. I have always just assumed that the broad cast on KLRN is just not as high as it is on NBC or CBS.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Alex,

The bitrate on KLRN's HD subchannel is lower due to the SD simulcast. The various weather radars on KENS and WOAI haven't had much of an impact on picture quality. I think the Transguide simulcast on KSAT is wholely unnecessary and degrades picture quality, even though 720p should be slightly more multicasting-friendly than 1080i.

An of course the award for worst picture quality goes to Sinclair-owned KABB-DT and KRRT-DT. Do these jokers have any plans to pass through hi def before Fox's HD football season?:mad:

Jim

P.S. I'll be in D.C. next month, so I'll have only WJLA's lack of DD 5.1 about which to complain.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.