AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an indoor radioshack "HDTV Antenna" - I don't know anything about antennas but I know there are a bunch of Digital channels above me and I can't seem to get any of them.

If I plug in the OTA into my Pioneer Elite 530HDi - should there be a special setting to get to the onboard digital tuner? (Does it even have one?)

·
Registered
66 Posts
I live in SD (Carmel Valley - East Del Mar)... Have a Terk antenna. DONT BUY ANYTHING FROM RADIO SHACK! Most of their stuff is crap, seriously! Go to Fry's if you need something, ex. Radio Shack sells a garbage SVIDEO cable (12' is the longest one they stock) and it's 20$! Everytime I complain about the quality there, they claim "we are really just here for the convienance"! (Great corporate philosophy).

I have a Dish 6000 and a new Dish 921. THe only problem where I am is that I have trouble getting fox (comes in at 60% so breaks up from time to time). I believe that Fox transmits from Tiajuana, not like the other channels.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Heh, cyphire we should meet up - how old are you? (I'm just an exit away up north here in Solana Beach; but I'm always out in Carmel Valley because of school [Torrey Pines High School] and socializing and what not).

Anyway - Yes XETV (FOX) and XETV-DT (FOX HD) are both broadcasted from Baja California (Tiajuana if you like) and both are supposedly really hard to get from here. Pisses me off because I wanted to watch SuperBowl in HD - doesn't look like its going to happen unless I get my act together and buy the stuff I need.

Here's my new plan: Buy this sweet package I found on the net for DirecTV - you guys let me know if this should work. It includes:

(1) Samsung SIR-TS160 HD STB.

(2) Hughes Director Pack Recievers (for 2 other rooms)

(1) Tri-LNB Satellite for local and satellite access.

(1) DVI Cable (length not specified.. no matter I already have one).

Professional Installation Service (Free)

All for $519.99

Now you guys tell me if that's a good deal and then I'll consider these two problems:

#1. I'd have to get a TERK TV42 clip-on amplified antenna to pick up the local HD channels with this whole setup for $69.99, that sound good?

#2. I have HDMI rather than DVI on the Pioneer Elite 530HDi, is this damn box going to work with it or am I going to be stuck with a component video input? (ARGH! Annoying!) They say DVI is backwards compat - but i've been hearing horror stories where it doesn't work and what not.

EDIT: Oh and will DirecTV let me get HD service from them with this equipment.. if so, how much is the monthly rate (with HD for HBO, and possibly ESPN).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.