AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can any forum members personally recommend an installer (or themselves) around the Bay Area (I live around 35 miles north of SF so Silicon Valley installer is probably too far away) who is acquainted with the G-20. The JVC will have been calibrated, but I am interested in a good installer who could keep things from getting messy when it comes to the speakers and receiver hook-up and the hook-up from JVC to DTC-100 and Sony DVP-S9000. If it makes a difference, I already have my receiver (or will within a few days), the Onkyo TX-DS989, and will probably begin with the Edge Speakers (the new ones, 512Ds, are now being shipped by Edge) along with their 12" sub. I imagine many installers might be reluctant to install components already selected because it cuts down on possible profit, but if any of you are or know a good installer who would work in my area, please let me know.

Peter

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
FWIW, I had a great deal of trouble finding an installer to assist with my HT because I had purchased all the gear myself, except for the AMX control system and the electric screen. Apparently, that wasn't enough for the folks here in San Diego. My stereo dealer (for 10 years, I might add, and many kilobucks including a Meridian 800/861) informed me that they were too small a shop and stretched too thin to do the work and just make $100 or so an hour for the installs, as they were backed up for clients who were ordering all the equipment from them. These guys make their money on the equipment margins, by and large, and carry a pretty large inventory in their listening and viewing rooms. I can understand the economics, but cannot understand the unwillingness to address the customer service issues. That's not how I run my business, but so be it.

Well, that was last year, when the dot-coms were still hot, and he's lost a long-term customer now, probably anyway, so it makes you wonder.

The long and short of it is you will probably have to hire someone by the hour, and you might check with some of the ISF techs and make some calls to the CEDIA members (check their website, www.cedia.org) for various professionals. That's how I found the company that finally did my work, and even they weren't too happy about it once they got into it, but at least the job got done.

Best of luck.

Cheers.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.