AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the SF Bay Area, we have two local stations who are apparently experimenting with pushing different types of formats on their digital transmitters.

Fox on ch. 2.1 and KRON on 4.1 I am receiving these on my OTA.

Each is using a different formats and both are irritating. I guess the irritation is that I cannot seem to control how I wish to watch a broadcast, on these digital stations.

KRON image is full-screen & stretched which terribly distorts just about everything.

Fox started broadcasting a full screen, zoomed image. Everything is in normal perspective (not stretched) however graphics and heads are cutoff.

There doesen't seem to be any middle ground here. I would prefer to be in control of how I view the picture, however my Hughes HDTV sat box (with my OTA's coming into it) will not allow me to change a 1080i signal, which is how everything comes out of it. Not that it is 1080i quality, but I assume by using the "component" outputs, it thinks everything is 1080i and does not allow me to change viewing formats. I can change sat formats but not OTA formats.

I have my ota's and my Sat coming into the Hughes HDTV Sat box and I am not using the HDTV tuner on board my Mit tv. The only option I can think of is to put the OTA's into the TV, but then I am at the mercy of the formating options of the Mit, plus other issues.

When I first set it up, I had the OTA's coming into the TV directly. Only issue was the OTA was on one input and the Sat was on a different input. Changing inputs was problematic, when you wanted to switch from an OTA channel to a Sat channel. With both coming into the Hughes HDTV Sat box, I can setup channel lists which allow combining channels from any source, in the same guide.

Has anyone else wrestled with this and is doing something different with their setup? Comments greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
There's not much you can do with the display formatting when it comes to displaying HD on a Mits. It's 1080i or nothing unless you want to switch to the SD inputs. As far as the "odd formats" maybe KRON will switch back to the 14:9 mode if enough complain about it. But then there isn't a lot of quality programming on KRON and KTVU (Fox) will that speaks for itself.

·
Registered
702 Posts
i wrote to the head engineer of KTVU asking about this.

i know sometimes, they forget to flip the switch (like the last ep of "24" season 1... i'm still pissed about that one...)

·
Registered
286 Posts
KRON's new stretch format has finally forced me from watching the only good show on it. The news. I notice that they bought some widescreen flat panel displays for the set. They must have noticed how the screens were not filled with 14:9 images.

I can hear the boss now, "I don't care how it looks, we paid 10 grand for the sets, now fill the d*&^ screen!

Hopefully they will someday purchase a couple of HD cameras for the studio....

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Webmarin,

yes, I can see that happening. Funny if that is the case.

Dave D'Arche

Quote:
Originally posted by webmarin
KRON's new stretch format has finally forced me from watching the only good show on it. The news.

I notice that they bought some widescreen flat panel displays for the set. They must have noticed how the screens were not filled with 14:9 images.

I can hear the boss now, "I don't care how it looks, we payed 10 grand for the sets, now fill the d*&^ screen!

Hopefully they will someday purchase a couple of HD cameras for the studio....

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by ldivinag
i wrote to the head engineer of KTVU asking about this.

i know sometimes, they forget to flip the switch (like the last ep of "24" season 1... i'm still pissed about that one...)
Hey Leo and others:

Hey folks,

Made a call to KRON today and spoke with a very knowledgable contact

in the engineering dept and we had a great chat! His name is Craig

Porter and he is available at [email protected]

He indicated they have a great interest in our feedback and he would like to join the HDTV-in-SFbay forum hosted at Yahoo, to keep up with what is happening. I have forwarded the link to him this a.m

1) He said they have tried to satisfy the 4:3 crowd as well as the

16:9 crowd by running one format on 4.1 and the other format on 4.2

I mentioned that 4.1 was currently stretched and he thought that was

wrong and is investigating. Possibly someone rebooted something.

So, scan for the other channel and watch the one that floats your

boat!

2) He also said they are putting the wraps on four local HD specials

that will air early next year. One about local bridges, firehouses,

Yosemite and one other I didn't record. So, seems they are

interested in the HD crowd and aim to please.

Very nice fellow and if he joins that forum, that will make TWO engineering contacts (KGO, KRON) who participate and often send out some good G2.

Regards,

Dave D'Arche

Belmont

·
Registered
286 Posts
I get nothing on 4.2. It's been there for a while. I was going to suggest that they turn it off.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Hi Guys,

I was going to install my OTA tuner today, but do I need to wait for scheduled HD broadcasts or do the stations broadcast contiuously?

Just want to pick an optimuim time to get on the roof and tune.

Thanks,

Duffin

·
Registered
286 Posts
They broadcast the same hours as the analog channels. Tuning from SF requires you to find Sutro Tower.....

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Webmarin,

Do you have line of sight to Sutro, or do you have the hills in front of you?

I'm in Tam Valley off HWY 1 and not having much luck.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I pretty much have line of site. ( maybe 20' of hill....) From Tam Valley I would depend on Dish or DTV for HD..... Anything else would be moon bounce....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.